Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
GooeyChewie wrote:
monty42 wrote:You're saying that as if we don't have complete control over when a set is released. High level events rarely happen instantaneously. So it is completely in our own hands whether or not this worst case scenario will ever come into play.
We release expansions pretty much as soon as possible, so we don't generally have much wiggle room to release them earlier. So the control we have would come in the form of delaying the expansions, which isn't exactly ideal. The non-legal week allows us to not delay as long and still not mess up a major event.

There's also the question how major is "major." If we're talking Regionals, there's a whole season with no good release dates.
First of all, anyone who is calling a Regional a major hasn't been paying attention for the last decade.

That aside, I think that avoiding set releases 8-21 days before a MAJOR event (Masters, Nationals, Continentals, Worlds) would be a good rule of thumb. If new sets are always going to drop on Friday, then it's better to release them the Friday of a Major weekend rather than the week before. Or if you don't want to steal headlines, go with the week after.

Better that than ruining a major event because one person found the broken combo before the rest of the field has even had a real chance to look at the cards.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Armus wrote:
GooeyChewie wrote:
monty42 wrote:You're saying that as if we don't have complete control over when a set is released. High level events rarely happen instantaneously. So it is completely in our own hands whether or not this worst case scenario will ever come into play.
We release expansions pretty much as soon as possible, so we don't generally have much wiggle room to release them earlier. So the control we have would come in the form of delaying the expansions, which isn't exactly ideal. The non-legal week allows us to not delay as long and still not mess up a major event.

There's also the question how major is "major." If we're talking Regionals, there's a whole season with no good release dates.
First of all, anyone who is calling a Regional a major hasn't been paying attention for the last decade.

That aside, I think that avoiding set releases 8-21 days before a MAJOR event (Masters, Nationals, Continentals, Worlds) would be a good rule of thumb. If new sets are always going to drop on Friday, then it's better to release them the Friday of a Major weekend rather than the week before. Or if you don't want to steal headlines, go with the week after.

Better that than ruining a major event because one person found the broken combo before the rest of the field has even had a real chance to look at the cards.
100% agreed! Thanks Brian :thumbsup:
Regionals don't count. They've been glorified locals for quite a while now (and I owe Corbett another 1$)
Masters, Nationals, Continentals, Worlds is what counts and if we have the option of releasing a set a week before one of those then don't!
Just push the release back one week. What does one week or even four weeks matter when you thereby create a level playing field for our most prestigeous events?

Also on a more personal note I believe that one week embargo doesn't matter at all. The people with insight (designers, testers, proofreading, etc...) have these cards sometimes for months in advance. If somebody figures out something broken, I don't think a week will be enough for people to catch on anyway. As far as single cards that might change the outcome of a game go, what can they possibly do? Kill somebody like 20 million other cards? Stop somebody like 20 million other cards? Require a really exotic skill that you probably wouldn't have had in your deck, even if you would've known the card for three years?
What's the worst thing that could happen, if you don't have a week in advance?

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:
Armus wrote:Ok that's not confusing at all.

Especially since one of the requirements to be considered for Hall of Fame is a card being out for 10 years.

Maybe add that as an AND statement to the HoF filter so it doesn't grab new cards on accident?
Then we'll have the opposite problem as those cards will be legal for HoF events and nothing else.

There's a blanket 'ban' on the cards for a week for all formats. If it helps, make the rest of your deck and save the ones from the most recent set.

Trust the system.
Dummy, no one’s saying make them legal in actual events, just don’t put them on the list of cards specifically in the Hall of Fame. Why is a list that’s only updated once a year even auto-generated anyway?
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Armus wrote:
GooeyChewie wrote:

If your talking about getting rid of the one week embargo then it'd have to be the Friday after the tournament rather than of the tournament or you'd be able to play the cards in the tournament.
Also on a more personal note I believe that one week embargo doesn't matter at all. The people with insight (designers, testers, proofreading, etc...) have these cards sometimes for months in advance. If somebody figures out something broken, I don't think a week will be enough for people to catch on anyway. As far as single cards that might change the outcome of a game go, what can they possibly do? Kill somebody like 20 million other cards? Stop somebody like 20 million other cards? Require a really exotic skill that you probably wouldn't have had in your deck, even if you would've known the card for three years?
What's the worst thing that could happen, if you don't have a week in advance?
Generally broken cards are pretty easy to recognise, it's all about recursion and whether you're removing personnel from your opponents command for less average counters than it takes to replace them.
bhosp wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote:
Armus wrote:Ok that's not confusing at all.

Especially since one of the requirements to be considered for Hall of Fame is a card being out for 10 years.

Maybe add that as an AND statement to the HoF filter so it doesn't grab new cards on accident?
Then we'll have the opposite problem as those cards will be legal for HoF events and nothing else.

There's a blanket 'ban' on the cards for a week for all formats. If it helps, make the rest of your deck and save the ones from the most recent set.

Trust the system.
Dummy, no one’s saying make them legal in actual events, just don’t put them on the list of cards specifically in the Hall of Fame. Why is a list that’s only updated once a year even auto-generated anyway?
Probably easier?
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Armus wrote:That aside, I think that avoiding set releases 8-21 days before a MAJOR event (Masters, Nationals, Continentals, Worlds) would be a good rule of thumb.
Good idea, but not always feasible. We could delay a set in theory to coordinate with a major event, but there are other ways to make sure there are no problems. Besides, that takes June, late July/early August and late October off the board. And I would have problems with a Valentines day set.

Plus, Dummy like players discussing cards at major events.
bhosp wrote:Dummy, no one’s saying make them legal in actual events, just don’t put them on the list of cards specifically in the Hall of Fame. Why is a list that’s only updated once a year even auto-generated anyway?
I'll tell Chris to expect your application to join the programming team.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:
Armus wrote:That aside, I think that avoiding set releases 8-21 days before a MAJOR event (Masters, Nationals, Continentals, Worlds) would be a good rule of thumb.
Good idea, but not always feasible. We could delay a set in theory to coordinate with a major event, but there are other ways to make sure there are no problems. Besides, that takes June, late July/early August and late October off the board. And I would have problems with a Valentines day set.

Plus, Dummy like players discussing cards at major events.
bhosp wrote:Dummy, no one’s saying make them legal in actual events, just don’t put them on the list of cards specifically in the Hall of Fame. Why is a list that’s only updated once a year even auto-generated anyway?
I'll tell Chris to expect your application to join the programming team.
I’m not sure what programming would be required to type up the list once a year but ok
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]