Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Kuiper Belt, Expand Power
[S] •Kuiper Belt, Expand Power
[AQ] 35
Engineer, Geology, Navigation, Physics, and Cunning>36
Region: Sector 001.
When you complete this mission, if you command three Dissident personnel, score 5 points.
"Taking the worlds we need and taming them with human hands, and human minds, and human souls."
[SF]
Span 4
Let's try this using the "Bortz Methodology":

Positives:
  • As (naturally) only Starfleet can use it, having it in Sector 001 makes the Span 4 less of an issue.
  • Could easily net the player 40 points, if three Dissidents are commanded upon completion.

Negatives: Things of note:
As previously mentioned, if you complete while commanding three Dissidents, you'll score 40 points. However, if one were to use Earth as a Starfleet HQ, rather than Luna, if this is the first one completed, that 40 points could be 50 points. That's probably not a massive issue, but it might give you 10 points to play with for extra shenanigans.

It's also worth mentioning that the Dissidents don't have to be Starfleet (so any of the NA Dissidents can be used), nor do they Dissidents have to even be attempting the mission (so, if you only have three, and others have the skills, they can be left at home).

Final Score: 6/10 (I think the attribute>36 might be a little too much of a turn off for some.)

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
bhosp wrote:This was supposed to have a bunch more affiliation icons on it, when did we lose those?
Good point; I can see they were there all the way through to the last version.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
bhosp wrote:Whatever the answer is, jokes on me I guess for not noticing it in the proofs.
Also, that final version read "if you command three [SF] Dissident personnel..." too. :shifty:

I think this change (to the existing text) makes it better, but the missing affiliation icons have hurt it a little. I mean, it makes sense making it a Span 4 mission if there are other icons on there (as it would mean they've got to travel further to there, compared to Humans in the same Region). :thumbsup:

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
This is the version that was locked and approved in UP:

Looks like it lost the other icons in the production proof on March 26 but no one noticed.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Short Answer: This is being looked at.

Longer answer: Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I've let the relevant department heads know. If you like the version that appeared on the site this morning, don't get too attached.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
bhosp wrote:Looks like it lost the other icons in the production proof on March 26 but no one noticed.
Or they (like me) assumed it was decided late to make it [SF] -only. For everybody else it was a vanilla 35-point mission with high span and a >36 attribute. I figured you and John decided no other affiliations would bother, and I just didn't go back and double-check UP.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
In general, we think more icons on missions is better than fewer.

In this particular case, we wanted to allow a non- [SF] deck to have a Sector 001 mission in it so they could potentially turn off Terra Prime verbs at an attemptable mission.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
I think the inclusion of other icons (which is a plus) is balanced out the change from "Dissidents" to "Starfleet Dissidents" (which is a minus), as now there's no incentive for other affiliations to look at this as a potential 40 point mission.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Danny wrote:I think the inclusion of other icons (which is a plus) is balanced out the change from "Dissidents" to "Starfleet Dissidents" (which is a minus), as now there's no incentive for other affiliations to look at this as a potential 40 point mission.
It is (essentially) a 2-span space mission for Earth-based decks, which is usually worth a few attribute points. A Davies deck might want it, if it has enough NA personnel.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote:
Danny wrote:I think the inclusion of other icons (which is a plus) is balanced out the change from "Dissidents" to "Starfleet Dissidents" (which is a minus), as now there's no incentive for other affiliations to look at this as a potential 40 point mission.
It is (essentially) a 2-span space mission for Earth-based decks, which is usually worth a few attribute points. A Davies deck might want it, if it has enough NA personnel.
Also, [Fed] has that cheater for 4 span missions, which might make it interesting.

This mission (or at least it’s extra icons) might count as another “orphaned theme” card. There used to be a dilemma in the set that made you choose a Sector 001 mission and place your ship there. And a great way around that dilemma would be to be attempting a Sector 001 mission, so that dilemma (which didn’t stop anyone) wouldn’t do anything.

Then we came up with the idea that instead of “terra prime uses a dilemma to force you to go to Sector 001 so they can blow you up”, we’d have most of their verbs turn off if their opponent is in Sector 001. So it still sort of works as a meta choice against Terra Prime, but I agree it doesn’t work as well.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]