Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Can the U.S.S. Dauntless report to the NeuHQs if you command 3 of the right color people?

IOW: Does the "about to play" part of the text make it a legal play at NeuBajor (as a [Baj] ship) or NeuRomulus (as a [Rom] ship) or Luna (as a [SF] ship)?

Thanks! :cheersL:
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:Can the U.S.S. Dauntless report to the NeuHQs if you command 3 of the right color people?

IOW: Does the "about to play" part of the text make it a legal play at NeuBajor (as a [Baj] ship) or NeuRomulus (as a [Rom] ship) or Luna (as a [SF] ship)?

In order to get to the "about to play" trigger, you need to be able to play it in the first place. So, if you can't play NA ships in the first place, you can't play the Dauntless.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote:
Armus wrote:Can the U.S.S. Dauntless report to the NeuHQs if you command 3 of the right color people?

In order to get to the "about to play" trigger, you need to be able to play it in the first place. So, if you can't play NA ships in the first place, you can't play the Dauntless.
If that's the case, why bother with the "about to play" nonsense? Just have it become that affiliation when you play it?

I'm confused...

:?

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 -  
Armus wrote:
edgeofhearing wrote:

If that's the case, why bother with the "about to play" nonsense? Just have it become that affiliation when you play it?

I'm confused...

:?
I'd have to check if there are any cards that actually do this, but I think as currently worded it would trigger any abilities that check to see if a ship of a given affiliation just entered play. (Maybe it gets a cost reduction from Movar, Political General? I'd have to check the timing rules.)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote:

I'm still not sold on this answer. Let's see if I can make a case.
The Rulebook wrote:1. Active Player (the player whose turn it is) examines the information available to him or her and determines that he or she can pay the costs
to play a card in his or her hand and, if the card is to enter play, verifies that there is a location at which the card may do so.

2. The Active Player announces his or her intention to play said card, reveals the card from his or her hand, and declares where it will enter play using gametext that allows the play. Any gametext on the card required to play it to its destination activates.

3. The card’s cost-related gametext activates. Cost-related response actions process beginning with the Active Player.

4. Active Player pays all costs of playing the card.

5. Mandatory “prevent” response actions process beginning with the Active Player.

6. Optional “prevent” response actions process beginning with the Active Player.

7. If the playing of the card has not been prevented, that card enters play at the location specified by the Active Player, it becomes subject to any applicable conditional effects, its non-cost-related gametext becomes active and the Active Player now commands the card.

8. Mandatory “When . . . (play/plays/played)” response actions process beginning with the Active Player.

9. Optional “When . . . (play/plays/played)” response actions process beginning with the Active Player.

10. Once all response actions are complete, the Active Player may continue his or her Play and Draw Cards segment.
Emphasis mine.

If the Dauntless said something to the effect of "When you play this card, it becomes that affiliation" I would agree with Lucas because the affiliation change wouldn't happen until step 7. However, because it says "When you are about to play..." then the operative rules are steps 1 and 2. In step 1,I look at available information, aka 3 guys of the same color in play. Assuming I have that, then I announce my intention to play the card. At this point, I'd argue that I'm "about to play" the card and the affiliation changes. Thus when I check for destination, I can use the text on the NeuHQs allowing [insert affiliation here] cards to play and the relevant text on the Dauntless activates, allowing me to do so.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's obvious. If anything, clarification of where in the playing process "about to play" text happens would clear it up - I could even argue that "about to play" could precede step one.

Amber?
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Annoyingly 'about to play' doesn't actually mean anything or happen at a given point, there are 19 cards with the term and they trigger at a variety of points just like 'When you play' abilities.

Most of them are cost-related, like Anthwara, Audacious Assault, Crowd Control, etc. so they happen in step 3. Cascade Virus happens in step 6, Holding Cell would be step 5. Keeping Track of You can copy and trigger a Ohhhh! Nothing Happened in play, so when does that trigger occur, step 7? Olarra isn't cost-related but it does specify a place a card can be played which should be step 2.

The U.S.S. Reliant also triggers in step 2 to be able to play to any Earth. U.S.S. Dauntless isn't that different, it doesn't state a specific place it or a card can play like the Reliant or Olarra but it does have gametext that could affect where it can be played so I'm leaning toward it triggers in step 2 and you can play it to the neuHQs.
StateofSTCCG, who is currently listed as a forum troll [unconstructive and disruptive behavior], made this post. Responding to forum trolls is discouraged.
Display this post.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
One of the most disappointing cards in RtS. My :borg: should be able to play this card. This card needs a remake... :thumbsdown:
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
The Rulebook wrote:Any gametext on the card required to play it to its destination activates.
My read on this line is that the text would literally need to be text that specifies that you can play it somewhere weird, like the U.S.S. Reliant or Kira Nerys, Starfleet Emissary. That's how I'd rule it.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Armus wrote:If that's the case, why bother with the "about to play" nonsense?
In the days before the more restrictive Headquarters, affiliation had a great impact on ships, since they can't be staffed without a matching affiliation on board. In theory, you wouldn't need any Non-aligned personnel to make use of this ship. This isn't a problem with personnel since if you can get them out, they're good to go.

It's also good for multi Headquarter decks. If you get ship screwed, you could play it to the Founder's Homeworld, have it become Dominion affiliated and zoom out to Cardassia to pick up some stragglers.
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0