Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

What is the total cost of our personnel?

2 Cost
38%
3 Cost
15%
4 Cost
48%
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Welcome to Will of the Collective VII: Bottom's Up! This time around we're designing a non-unique character from the bottom up, starting with faction and ending with the story.

In this round, we'll pick a total cost for our personnel, including the ability we chose. We have three options, and each will give us different choices in the next round.

For reference, the ability we selected last round was: "(Cost +1) When you play this personnel, the next [AU] [TNG] or [Pa] [TNG] personnel you play this turn is cost -2."

2 Cost: With the ability we've chosen, a 2 cost personnel would have the skills and attributes of a 1-cost personnel. If we pick this option, in the next round we'll be able to pick between choices like "three skills, average attributes", "two skills, high attributes", and "four skills, poor attributes".

3 Cost: This option will give our personnel the skills and attributes of a 2 cost personnel, opening up these choices: "five skills, average attributes", "four skills, high attributes", and "six skills, poor attributes".

4 Cost: The final choice is pricey, but comes with the most skills and attributes: "seven skills, average attributes", "six skills, high attributes", and "eight skills, poor attributes".

This poll will be open for three days; that's probably more time than we need, but I will be at Continentals this weekend, and I'm uncertain when I'll have a chance to put the next poll up. The option with the plurality of votes will be the winner - I will cast my vote in case of a tie.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I was thinking that would be a good, thematic choice, but I also think that means that we will have to look farther afield than Yesterday’s Enterprise for a suitable non-unique.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
jadziadax8 wrote:I was thinking that would be a good, thematic choice, but I also think that means that we will have to look farther afield than Yesterday’s Enterprise for a suitable non-unique.
I'm not sure I understand your meaning. I could see a background character from Yesterday's Enterprise having anywhere from 2 to 8 skills, as needed to match the cost/attributes chosen.
monty42 wrote:YES. Let's make a non-unique Worf!!!
Only if we can name him something other than "Worf." Maybe "Parallel Worf"? Uniqueness rules get really wonky when you have unique and non-unique cards with the same name.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
GooeyChewie wrote:
jadziadax8 wrote:I was thinking that would be a good, thematic choice, but I also think that means that we will have to look farther afield than Yesterday’s Enterprise for a suitable non-unique.
I'm not sure I understand your meaning. I could see a background character from Yesterday's Enterprise having anywhere from 2 to 8 skills, as needed to match the cost/attributes chosen.
Sorry, I was specifically referring to making this personnel cost 4. I was wondering how we would find someone who would be suitable to be non-unique who could have anywhere between six and eight skills. I was wondering about the precedent for such a personnel, so I went to look at which personnel cost 4 and are non-unique.

It turns out that there are currently five such personnel. Four of the five of those are Khan's folks, so get a discount when he's around. They each have 3 skills and high attributes, so seem to be typical 2-cost personnel with a Keyword. I assume that they were designed with a cost 4 for reasons of cultural enforcement, as they rarely show up outside of a deck with Khan in it. The last one is Punull, who has 4 skills and average attributes, but a big download. So, a 4-cost non-unique with 6-8 skills is unprecedented.

Then I went to see about 3-cost non-uniques. You get a similar set of personnel to the previous search - lots of people with a handful of skills and always some sort of ability.

So, my concern is finding a non-unique background character from Yesterday's Enterprise who could realistically have that many skills. I don't want another Boq'ta (a great, necessary personnel for [DS9], but I feel the character assigned doesn't match the gameplay).

I'm just looking ahead, is all.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
It's not too late to shift our attention to this guy
and give him really wonky skills...

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
jadziadax8 wrote:Then I went to see about 3-cost non-uniques. You get a similar set of personnel to the previous search - lots of people with a handful of skills and always some sort of ability.

So, my concern is finding a non-unique background character from Yesterday's Enterprise who could realistically have that many skills. I don't want another Boq'ta (a great, necessary personnel for [DS9], but I feel the character assigned doesn't match the gameplay).
I'm thinking he'll be more like Thompson than Boq'ta. Part of what makes Boq'ta weird is that he actually had a fairly large role in that episode, and his skills don't really gel with what we know about him. For this personnel, we'll likely end up with somebody who has no lines, whose most distinguishing feature will be that they are wearing the right color uniform for the majority of whatever skills they have.
Ashbey wrote:Is it legal to make a nonunique version of unique person?
Short answer, no. It'd create some rules nightmares.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
These are creative concerns, we're not making Hawk we're making a personnel for [AU] [TNG], what do they need? I don't know. What works for them? 4-cost personnel right? Why does it matter if some random has a bunch of skills, that's some 1E bullshit any way, we have Ptol, Thompson, it's a card game not a roleplaying game.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Maybe you can add the winning ability to the first post?

I would have hoped there would be an option listed for a cheap 1 cost, with maybe 1 or 2 skills, and 6-5-4, or 4-4-6 or whatever. You would be able to play 1-2-4 in a turn.
Is Sedis a captain?

P'Jem Sanctuary can also DL Sopek .

Virtual Promos 2E

What is the status of promos 0 VP 353, 0 VP 354, a[…]

Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]