Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

What should our attribute to skill ratio be?

Option A: Average attributes, 7 skills.
36%
Option B: High attributes, 6 skills.
61%
Option C: Low attributes, 8 skills.
4%
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Welcome to Will of the Collective VII: Bottom's Up! This time around we're designing a non-unique character from the bottom up, starting with faction and ending with the story.

In this round, we'll be picking the attribute to skill ratio of our 4-cost [TNG] [AU] personnel. We have three options based on the value of our ability and the total cost we selected:

Option A: Average attributes, 7 skills. "Average attributes" is at least one 6 and possibly one other 6, depending on how low the third attribute is, but no 7s.

Option B: High attributes, 6 skills. "High attributes" is one or two 7s (like 7/6/6 or 7/7/4), or one 8 (like 5/8/6).

Option C: Low attributes, 8 skills. "Low attributes" is no attribute higher than 5, and at least one lower than 5.

You have 3 days to cast your vote. The option that gets the plurality of the votes will move on; I will cast the tiebreaking vote in the case of a tie.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
What about something like 3-7-6 or the like?

Aka high enough to help solve cunning missions, low enough to not cause Adopted Authority to bounce and (if we give them Acquisition) get past Nothing to Lose?

That's what I want, so which option do I vote for?

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
First of all let's cut out this nothing to lose shit! [Fed] has Holograms.

Secondly what the fuck are these options!? You're letting us vote between 6 - 8 skills???
6 is already way overboard even with average attributes.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
monty42 wrote:First of all let's cut out this nothing to lose shit! [Fed] has Holograms.

Secondly what the fuck are these options!? You're letting us vote between 6 - 8 skills???
I'm also finding these options to be troubling. As it stands, this personnel is looking to have as good as/better skills than any of the [AU] [TNG] mains, attributes which are at least on par, and all on a non-unique extra.

I really feel like the voting, especially the combination of 4 coster + ability, has rather backed us into a corner with skills/attributes. A 3 or 2 coster would have been preferable in my view.

Anyway, I've voted for B "High attributes, 6 skills," as I see a 6 skilled personnel with one 7 attribute marginally less troublesome than a 7 or 8 skilled "extra." Though my preference would probably be 6s across the board with 6 skills, even if it makes them marginally over costed.

EDIT: Looking at existing cards, is it possible the issue here is the ability is undercosted, which is having a knock on effect on the skills/attributes? When I look at personnel like Otto , Ari , Kar'meth , Ro'suv etc, once you factor in the discount you're basically looking at a typical or perhaps slightly above average personnel for the new cost (e.g. Otto is a 2 coster with low skills/high attributes, Ari and Kar'meth are slightly above average 1 costers, Ro'suv is basically a Klingon 2 coster with an extra point of Integrity etc.)

As such, I believe this personnel with this ability would be a typical or slightly above average 2 coster without the ability. e.g. 4 - 5 skills with average attributes.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
MattgomeryScott wrote:
monty42 wrote:First of all let's cut out this nothing to lose shit! [Fed] has Holograms.

I'm also finding these options to be troubling. As it stands, this personnel is looking to have as good as/better skills than any of the [AU] [TNG] mains, attributes which are at least on par, and all on a non-unique extra.

I really feel like the voting, especially the combination of 4 coster + ability, has rather backed us into a corner with skills/attributes. A 3 or 2 coster would have been preferable in my view.

Anyway, I've voted for B "High attributes, 6 skills," as I see a 6 skilled personnel with one 7 attribute marginally less troublesome than a 7 or 8 skilled "extra." Though my preference would probably be 6s across the board with 6 skills, even if it makes them marginally over costed.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.
At 7-skills normal attributes he'd be worse than Wesley Crusher and Jean-Luc Picard and equal to Geordi La Forge. This card is already going to be rarely played because they'll be overcosted without triggering the ability and how often is [AU] [TNG] played? So on top of that you want to overcost them even in that niche deck?

Random non-unique with 7-skills, we have that already why is it a problem? People said it in the last thread as well but what's an actual argument against it? Since the argument for it is pretty strong we have precedent (which shouldn't even be relevant), 2E isn't trek-sense over gameplay like 1E, it fits the flavour of the [AU] [TNG] team.

By Broshak
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
If the card isn't auto-include in an [AU] [TNG] deck and a solid inclusion in normal [TNG] then what is even the point of doing this?

We've already decided it will almost never be used by selecting an almost non-existent sub affiliation, then giving it an ability that only works in that sub affiliation. Now people are trying to over cost it so it will be 100% useless.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 -  
This is why I voted for 2-cost...

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Obviously we're gonna need a new dilemma that requires 8 Officer to get past...

but make him Integrity 2 with Aquisition so he can get past NTL as well...

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
WeyounsLastClone wrote:I still don't understand why 1-cost was never an option, but seems we're stuck with 4-cost, then I'd prefer the high attributs 6-skills.
Presumably because the ability cost +1.5 so a 1- cost personnel was not a viable option. A 2 coster with that ability would have had 3 skills and average attributes commensurate with a 1 cost personnel.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 -  
Armus wrote:
WeyounsLastClone wrote:I still don't understand why 1-cost was never an option, but seems we're stuck with 4-cost, then I'd prefer the high attributs 6-skills.
Presumably because the ability cost +1.5 so a 1- cost personnel was not a viable option. A 2 coster with that ability would have had 3 skills and average attributes commensurate with a 1 cost personnel.
The chosen ability was actually cost +1, so a 1-cost personnel would have, probably, one skill and average attributes.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote:
Armus wrote:
The chosen ability was actually cost +1, so a 1-cost personnel would have, probably, one skill and average attributes.
Allamill has a similar cost reduction for 1-cost, with decent attirbutes and 2 skills with a keyword, so could see that have worked here as well.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]