Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By First Maje (Jon Fry)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Hi. I'm a relatively new player (started 1E in 2017 and 2E in 2018) and don't post here much. Please don't eat me alive. :D

As a bit of background I run a monthly public Star Trek game night. It's been going for over a year and usually gets in 4-6 people to any particular event. For a while I've been thinking about ways to trying onboarding 2E as a regular game in our rotation to see if it might be possible to get a small community of players going.

As a preliminary experiment last year I held an intro night for four players. Due to my inexperience with the system I didn't realize it would be a poor idea to just play together as one big multiplayer match and we didn't come even remotely close to finishing up in our 2.5 hour slot. We also used the four starter packs which IMO are a little dry with regards to the dilemmas. That being said people seemed to like the game.

I'm thinking about making another 2E push and have a couple of questions...

1) Can anyone recommend some good alternatives to the original four starter packs? My ideal starter would contain a few, but not more than a few, personnel with unique abilities and some more interesting dilemmas than "Look for a dude with 2 of this or 2 of that... if you don't find one stop a dude with 1 of this or that." It's fine if there are some like that mixed in as well.

2) I'd like to be able to hand a deck to each player to take home with them. With regards to printing cards... do people usually use their home printers or go somewhere more professional? I tried printing 1E cards at home a while back and felt like the ink cartridge was depleting fast and the resulting quality wasn't really there.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Here's a list of all the virtual starters: https://www.trekcc.org/decklists/index.php?mode=virtual

I made some demo decks and learn to play videos to go with them. They cover fewer affiliations, but are mostly based on competitive decks: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37688

Also, you're always welcome to come down to MA for our events, and, if you post events in the tournament system, I'll keep an eye out for any that I might be able to travel up to.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
Hello on board :cheersL:

Like mentioned, virtual starters are a good idea. The 4 original starters are not well balanced.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Several of us are working on a project to make some new player friendly decks, but the work has been slow going. Could we ask your group to try some of them out?

With regards to printing, I just take my files to the local big box office supply store and use the self-serve color printers for decks. I have found that 26 lb works great.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By Iella
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I started 2E playing just me and my boyfriend at home just a short while ago using Edgeofhearing's starter decks. They were fantastic for learning the basics of the game, and very well balanced. I highly recommend them. I liked his DS9 deck the best. :)

We've been printing decks to play with, though we have a printer with a continuous ink system instead of cartridges. Dax's idea may be a cheaper alternative for you.

If you're interested in playing online, there's a growing discord community(the Dojo) that plays through Lackey. Here's a join link if you'd like to give us a look. :)

The Dojo: ( https://discord.com/invite/rsRy5GV )

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Two decks I made a couple years ago when I was thinking of making some intro decks that generally follow the same deck design equation and showcase each affiliation's flavor:

TNG

Romulan

I never got around to putting a dilemma pile -- might want to check out edge's.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
I can recommend the slipstream format (50 points, at least one mission solved, 30 minute time limit) as an introduction to the game. This makes the game more palatable to people who are used to other tcgs.

There are cards that break the format, but your beginner group is unlikely to be bothered by those.

By First Maje (Jon Fry)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote: I made some demo decks and learn to play videos to go with them. They cover fewer affiliations, but are mostly based on competitive decks: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37688

Also, you're always welcome to come down to MA for our events, and, if you post events in the tournament system, I'll keep an eye out for any that I might be able to travel up to.
These decks and videos look great, thanks for putting them together. I may provide these videos to the participants ahead of time.

And I'd love to travel down to MA for an event sometime! If this works out maybe I'll have some others in tow. :cheersL:
jadziadax8 wrote:Several of us are working on a project to make some new player friendly decks, but the work has been slow going. Could we ask your group to try some of them out?
Sure, if you can provide links to these decks I'd be happy to use them in teaching the game.

I want to thank everyone who commented here with suggestions and links. Slipstream sounds interesting as it would allow us to play a couple of rounds in an evening potentially.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation