Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

What species should our personnel be?

Human
58%
Angosian
42%
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Welcome to Will of the Collective VII: Bottom's Up! This time around we're designing a non-unique character from the bottom up, starting with faction and ending with the story.

Today it is time to have a runoff vote for our personnel's species. The options are:

Human
Angosian

Each person gets one vote, and two days to cast that vote. In case of a tie, I will cast the tie-breaking vote.

In the meantime, nominations for title and lore are still open. If Angosian wins, I'll extend the nomination time so that you have a chance to adjust your lore nominations. I'd also like to point out that, since Genetically Enhanced won, there is no longer room for four lines of lore. Our longer nominations, Mattgomery's "Resourceful battlefield medic..." and Armus' mortifyingly flattering lore, specifically no longer fit. Monty42's lore never did.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Humans and Angosians are visually identical, and both species have been known to engage in genetic enhancements. In fact, the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise-D met both Human and Angosian genetically enhanced personnel, so it's reasonable that somebody from either of those planets joined Starfleet in this alternate timeline. In short, I'd be okay with either option.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
GooeyChewie wrote:In short, I'd be okay with either option.
Same.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Something to bear in mind. We're creating a character using the image of a regular background extra, who appeared in multiple episodes of TNG, not just Yesterday's Enterprise, apparently as the same character. So while this card is her in the alternate timeline, there is also a regular timeline version of her.

In addition, Angosia isn't a Federation member in the episode they appear, while this extra had been appearing in episodes earlier in the season as a member of Starfleet.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
Human gets my vote.

Making a case for a hypothetically Genetically Enhanced human aboard a star ship in an alternate timeline that finds the Federation locked in a decades-long life and death struggle with a formidable foe isn't all that difficult at all. Especially since there's already precedent for Genetically Enhanced humans in Starfleet uniforms.

Creatively re-writing Federation history to include Angosia in the Federation feels like an exercise in fan fiction, and that's something 2e has generally avoided. I'm not saying it's not entertaining to think about, and I'm not saying it's an impossible case to make. But it would be stretching the creative limits of what 2e design can do going forward in ways I'm not sure we're really considering here.

By Cmdr Xym (Joseph Bazemore)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
MattgomeryScott wrote:Something to bear in mind. We're creating a character using the image of a regular background extra, who appeared in multiple episodes of TNG, not just Yesterday's Enterprise, apparently as the same character. So while this card is her in the alternate timeline, there is also a regular timeline version of her.

In addition, Angosia isn't a Federation member in the episode they appear, while this extra had been appearing in episodes earlier in the season as a member of Starfleet.
Exactly what I was going to say. Thank you!
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
MattgomeryScott wrote:In addition, Angosia isn't a Federation member in the episode they appear, while this extra had been appearing in episodes earlier in the season as a member of Starfleet.
Note that Federation membership for the planet an individual is from isn't necessarily a prerequisite for that individual being a member of starfleet. It would be a bit odd if it didn't come up that there's an Angosian member of the crew during the events of The Hunted though.
MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.

Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]