Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Ashbey (Anastasia Kalashnikova)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I found an interesting mistake in one of the Decipher-era missions. Evade Dominion Squadron should be in Sector 001 region, since it's Kuiper Belt - a part of Solar system. Errata of this astronomical mistake may make this mission much more useful for Federation.

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
I think trek writers did not always bother with correct terminology and sometimes simply chose expressions that sounded cool.
In this case, i think they might get away with saying they extended the meaning of the word from the kuiper belt to a kuiper belt, so a generic term that applies to similar areas found in other systems.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
Kaiser wrote:I think trek writers did not always bother with correct terminology and sometimes simply chose expressions that sounded cool.
In this case, i think they might get away with saying they extended the meaning of the word from the kuiper belt to a kuiper belt, so a generic term that applies to similar areas found in other systems.
Agreed. Dialogue from the episode clearly states they're near the Olmerak System, wherever that is.

By Ashbey (Anastasia Kalashnikova)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Kaiser wrote:I think trek writers did not always bother with correct terminology and sometimes simply chose expressions that sounded cool.
It makes sense - in MA a kuiper belt is described as unversal phenomenon. This particular kuiper belt is located somewhere in Cardassian Space.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
The Prefect wrote:Dialogue from the episode clearly states they're near the Olmerak System, wherever that is.
Isn't that somewhere near Bakersfield?

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
It used to be specifically the Kuiper belt in the Sol system. But the term has broadened to include "extra-Solar Kuiper-like structures" (wikipedia). I noticed the term being used similarly somewhere in the past, and had to conclude as much then.

So -- no errata. (But I'd support rewording to 'A(n extra-Solar) Kuiper belt', for what it's worth. Less confusion, more friendly and entertaining education.)
monty42 wrote:
The Prefect wrote:Dialogue from the episode clearly states they're near the Olmerak System, wherever that is.
Isn't that somewhere near Bakersfield?
Yes, at number 221B. It's a violin.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
SudenKapala wrote:It used to be specifically the Kuiper belt in the Sol system. But the term has broadened to include "extra-Solar Kuiper-like structures" (wikipedia). I noticed the term being used similarly somewhere in the past, and had to conclude as much then.
Could just say "Olmerak Kuiper belt".

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
This came up when we made the Kuiper Belt mission in 2E (which is the Sector 001 one in this solar system).

I wanted to change its name to Ultima Thule for this reason, but no one listened to me.

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]