Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
PROBLEM: Earned Byes are a bad prize. No one wants to fly to a big event and just sit around not playing for 1-2 hours.

SOLUTION: Replace Earned Byes with a bonus Victory Point.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
:thumbsup:

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
bhosp wrote:PROBLEM: Earned Byes are a bad prize. No one wants to fly to a big event and just sit around not playing for 1-2 hours.

I'm pretty sure I suggested this some time ago.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Not a bad idea. Could be part of Charlie's reimagined player rewards system. How many VP is an EB worth? Would it screw up a tournament bracket to have "extra" VP in the mix?

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
bhosp wrote:PROBLEM: Earned Byes are a bad prize. No one wants to fly to a big event and just sit around not playing for 1-2 hours.

This. NOW!
Chief Financial Officer
 - Chief Financial Officer
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
this is actually an amazing idea

extra victory points have the same effect, only way they help win an event is if you dont lose.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect

This time, you may be on to something! I like it.

-  
JeBuS wrote:Not a bad idea. Could be part of Charlie's reimagined player rewards system. How many VP is an EB worth? Would it screw up a tournament bracket to have "extra" VP in the mix?
An Earned Bye is a Full Win with maximum SOS and differential IIRC.

The way I'd see this working is that it would only be added at the end, so that it doesn't mess with pairings--otherwise you'd have everyone with a Bonus Victory Point paired against each other in round 1, which would make it much worse than an Earned Bye, since they'd effectively end up in a knockout bracket of their own (absent MWs and TTs), and thus reduce their chances of making any cut, which is counter to the point of these rewards.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote:
JeBuS wrote:Not a bad idea. Could be part of Charlie's reimagined player rewards system. How many VP is an EB worth? Would it screw up a tournament bracket to have "extra" VP in the mix?
An Earned Bye is a Full Win with maximum SOS and differential IIRC.

The way I'd see this working is that it would only be added at the end, so that it doesn't mess with pairings--otherwise you'd have everyone with a Bonus Victory Point paired against each other in round 1, which would make it much worse than an Earned Bye, since they'd effectively end up in a knockout bracket of their own (absent MWs and TTs), and thus reduce their chances of making any cut, which is counter to the point of these rewards.
I feel like this very often is what happens under the current system, but fine, if that’s a problem that needs fixing, sure.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
eberlems wrote:Just thinking in textform, extra xVP in general or upgrade a not-FW?
Yeah you just get a +1 VP at the end.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
This is super true in 1E (which often has fewer rounds) where earned byes often mean you need to only win 1 or 2 rounds to advance.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
An earned bye could count as a full win in any case of the outcome. So you can play and lose and you both can earn 4 Victory points. No Risk for you. And you still have fun.

-  
Enabran wrote:An earned bye could count as a full win in any case of the outcome. So you can play and lose and you both can earn 4 Victory points. No Risk for you. And you still have fun.
Which might be fine for some players, but others like there to be something on the line in their games.

EDIT: Though there is one thing I just thought of: Even if the bonus VP is added at the end, does it count for the purposes of determining other players' SoS? I would personally say no, since that would skew tiebreakers toward those players who randomly got paired up against players with bonus VPs.
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]

@Brad are you Brad Snyder?

That is intended. A cure dilemma ALWAYS has its ef[…]

Capturing Related

Thank you for the explanation. It's speculative, b[…]