Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Ken didn't have any byes, so he played 5 rounds. I agree the drops & all created an odd situation, but I don't know that the earned byes added to it in this case.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
bhosp wrote:I just think it’s a bad situation where the world champ played (I think) in less than half of Day 1 and still qualified, thanks to a process involving a bunch of drops from Day 2. The whole thing felt vaguely disrespectful to the field, in a way that I admittedly find myself unable to articulate clearly.
I've been told "day 1 should matter" any time I get near this topic (last time was the higher seed tiebreaker). And it should.

But Day 2 should matter *more*.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Marquetry wrote:Ken didn't have any byes, so he played 5 rounds. I agree the drops & all created an odd situation, but I don't know that the earned byes added to it in this case.
Yes it’s possible that the Very Drunk Man has his facts wrong.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
bhosp wrote:
Marquetry wrote:Ken didn't have any byes, so he played 5 rounds. I agree the drops & all created an odd situation, but I don't know that the earned byes added to it in this case.
Yes it’s possible that the Very Drunk Man has his facts wrong.
The point is, I was under the impression that the 4 of you folks all just have Earned Byes because you go to all the Masterses. Because perception is reality, and because the stories I tell are better than reality, that will eventually become the way everyone remembers it, like that legend about Corbett and the chat room that I get in trouble every time I bring up.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
monty42 wrote:I give up.

I'd rather like to hear from some of the people who a rule change like this would actually affect.
Organized Play is looking at Earned Byes headed into next year's competitive season. We will be looking at everything: allocation, prize equivalency, distribution methods, and alternatives.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
LORE wrote:
monty42 wrote:I give up.

I'd rather like to hear from some of the people who a rule change like this would actually affect.
Organized Play is looking at Earned Byes headed into next year's competitive season. We will be looking at everything: allocation, prize equivalency, distribution methods, and alternatives.
Who?

Top. Men.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
So how many people had earned byes?

Are the opportunities to earn these byes equal or equitable?

I guess that's a loaded question and I should just come out and say it "Does CONUS get an advantage?" and if this is the case then should this be reflective of what "worlds" should mean to the worldwide community.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Spectre9 wrote:So how many people had earned byes?

I guess that's a loaded question and I should just come out and say it "Does CONUS get an advantage?" and if this is the case then should this be reflective of what "worlds" should mean to the worldwide community.
Byes can be earned at high-level events across the world. Not sure how that could be skewed towards one group or another.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Spectre9 wrote:So how many people had earned byes?

You can earn byes at Worlds by:

Placing 1st (2 round) or 2nd (1 round) in the previous Worlds
Placing 1st (2 round) or 2nd (1 round) in Continentals
Playing in Masters events and earning a lot of Masters points (this is how I got my Bye)
Playing in World Championship Trek play-in tournament (bracket play; you have a higher seed if you play in a lot of WCT League events)
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]

You can also click on the tournament results and t[…]

No, because the set was released yesterday, so the[…]

New Tribbles set Bad Moon

Why has no one confirmed the obvious. [Trob] […]