Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
So, we know that:
1) When a card is prevented, costs remain paid.
2) It has previously ruled that a card that has been prevented has not been played. Importantly, this means you could try to play another copy even if B'omar Sovereignty is in play.

Given that, what happens if:
1) There are three copies of Disadvantage Into Advantage in play.
2) A player tries to play Lore.
3) A player prevents Lore with Alarming Rumors.

So, costs remain paid, but Lore hasn't been played. Does that mean that the cost reduction from 3x Disadvantage is still active? Did its reduction also affect Lore, even though he wasn't played?

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
I would imagine...

Cost remains paid (you've spent six counters), but DIA hasn't been triggered (as a personnel hasn't yet been played). Net result: Lore's on top of the deck, you're six counters down, but the next unique personnel you attempt to play (assuming they get by your Maquis opponent and land), is going to be cost -6.
Last edited by Danny on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I'm wondering about that, actually, now that I'm looking at the Rulebook.
Rulebook wrote:1. Active Player (the player whose turn it is) examines the information available to him or her and determines that he or she can pay the costs to play a card in his or her hand and, if the card is to enter play, verifies that there is a location at which the card may do so.
2. The Active Player announces his or her intention to play said card, reveals the card from his or her hand, and declares where it will enter play using gametext that allows the play. Any gametext on the card required to play it to its destination activates.
3. The card’s cost-related gametext activates. Cost-related response actions process beginning with the Active Player.
4. Active Player pays all costs of playing the card.
5. Mandatory “prevent” response actions process beginning with the Active Player.
6. Optional “prevent” response actions process beginning with the Active Player.
DIA is a cost-related response, so I think it happens in 3. Alarming Rumors would trigger in 6. So, I think that DIA remains used, even though Lore was prevented.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote:I'm wondering about that, actually, now that I'm looking at the Rulebook.
Rulebook wrote:1. Active Player (the player whose turn it is) examines the information available to him or her and determines that he or she can pay the costs to play a card in his or her hand and, if the card is to enter play, verifies that there is a location at which the card may do so.
2. The Active Player announces his or her intention to play said card, reveals the card from his or her hand, and declares where it will enter play using gametext that allows the play. Any gametext on the card required to play it to its destination activates.
3. The card’s cost-related gametext activates. Cost-related response actions process beginning with the Active Player.
4. Active Player pays all costs of playing the card.
5. Mandatory “prevent” response actions process beginning with the Active Player.
6. Optional “prevent” response actions process beginning with the Active Player.
DIA is a cost-related response, so I think it happens in 3. Alarming Rumors would trigger in 6. So, I think that DIA remains used, even though Lore was prevented.

Soooo....

Cost is modified to zero

Cost remains paid

Lore goes on top of deck

Player has spent zero counters?

That makes more sense than Danny's version, though his has the benefit if literally applying the wording of the rules literally. :wink:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Armus wrote:though his has the benefit if literally applying the wording of the rules literally. :wink:
Wait, isn't that what I just did? I'm so confused now.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
jadziadax8 wrote:
Armus wrote:though his has the benefit if literally applying the wording of the rules literally. :wink:
Wait, isn't that what I just did?
I believe we're all on the same page. But Disadvantage Into Advantage remains used.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:
Wait, isn't that what I just did? I'm so confused now.
You followed the rules as written, as they appear in the book. I followed the words as written, as they appear on the cards. :wink:
 -  
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote:I believe we're all on the same page. But Disadvantage Into Advantage remains used.
Yeah, after going back through all the steps of playing a card, I definitely agree that DIA's text has been applied to Lore when you play him. So
1) Attempt to play Lore, all cost-related text processes and you spend zero counters. Then:
2) Alarming Rumors is played, putting him back on top of your deck. You've spent zero counters, but now, according to the B'omar Sovereignty ruling, you haven't played Lore.

If this came up in an event (please no), I think I would rule that if you spent a counter to draw Lore, you could use DIA's discount again - after all, he'll be the first unique personnel you've played this turn, since you never played him in the first place.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote:...I think I would rule that if you spent a counter to draw Lore, you could use DIA's discount again - after all, he'll be the first unique personnel you've played this turn, since you never played him in the first place.
This was exactly my thought process in my responding post :thumbsup:
 -  
Community Contributor
Danny wrote:
edgeofhearing wrote:...I think I would rule that if you spent a counter to draw Lore, you could use DIA's discount again - after all, he'll be the first unique personnel you've played this turn, since you never played him in the first place.
This was exactly my though process in my responding post :thumbsup:
The difference is DIA definitely does trigger the first time you try to play him. All that cost stuff happens prior to prevention, so you're not out six counters from the first attempt to play him.
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

HumQ: Pick of the Tribbles

It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through th[…]

I guess we should have done "What can we […]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to another one of my homies, @seve[…]