Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
  • 173 posts

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ashbey wrote: I understood the words too. But there is no much sense in those words. Ross has some kind of special talent to compose very long, but meaningless texts.

If you are trying to say that I have problems with Ross because I am not a native speaker, then you are wrong (I am a professional translator, btw). I showed this particular text to native English speakers, all of them also agreed that this text is really painful to read and doesnt bear any valuable information. It is kinda strange, that you, Ben, dont see how bad he is at written communication.

No matter how you formulate this, that message just has no meaningful sense. It is called "boilerplate letter" in English, isnt it?
I mean, they don't convey much detailed information but I wouldn't call them meaningless or nonsensical. I didn't mean to imply you can't read English or anything of the sort, but if you are claiming you can't figure out what he is actually trying to say (a different issue to him not giving any concrete details or contributing new information to the discussion) then it sounded like a parsing issue to me. If it isn't, and the claim that it is nonsensical and confusing was hyperbole or you were using the terms in a different manner than I'm used to, then I just didn't catch that and I apologize.

I never said he was great at written communication. That my entire post there was explaining how I thought what he wrote could be much clearer and less messy with a few simple changes, is in fact good evidence that I think he is doing a rather poor job at it.

Now, the fact that once you clean up his sentences you're left with vague statements without any useful indication as to (for example) what one of his 'plans' might entail or how exactly this process will be better than it was in the past, is a whole different issue than bad rhetorical skills in the sense I thought you were referring to (of being really poor at conveying the information he is trying to share). Rather it is poor public communication in the sense of not actually sharing with us the information that we're asking for because he doesn't want to.

So I suspect at this point we may just be talking past each other, so to speak.
Last edited by Gorgo Primus on Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:Multiple people requested that this tester be removed from his role due to this discretion
Who was this? How many is “multiple”? Was it “Mike Shea” and “Mike Shea in a wig and fake mustache”?

Was it staff? Or members of the public? (If the latter, you sure picked a weird time to start responding to public feedback.)

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Gorgo Primus wrote:For what it's worth, I feel confident I understood all of Ross' post.
I appreciate a thoughtful explanation. But compare that to this September Errata article. As someone without inner knowledge of the CC efforts, it is very difficult to understand, and even the format is messed up with all the text highlighted in gray. It's good to see the card images have now been updated, but at the time the new text wasn't available. Even in its current form, this article shouldn't have went through. Also, I couldn't find the article announcing the new Design Director -- hopefully it's been taken down -- but it was way too much information into the personal squabbles within the CC.

There are other aspects of the job that I find annoying. Why's there even an Excelsior forum? Wasn't there efforts ongoing to update starters or sealed format? I get that this stuff requires effort, but isn't it part of the job? I don't think you can understandably act like this is a small community trying to do the best it can, then pretend like you're running a Fortune 500 company.

This is the context of someone sending a "confidential" spoiler to online participants. And then gets mad when that spoiler is revealed to the online community. Or post something on Facebook. I imagine >50% of people who saw it, already knew it existed. Is it really confidential at that point? That's totally ignoring the fact that the online community is like any other local community where spoilers are commonly discussed.

Maybe I'm asking too much. But, when it comes to players and communities, just let people do what they want.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Naetor wrote: I imagine >50% of people who saw it, already knew it existed.
I would go as high as 80...

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Naetor wrote:Also, I couldn't find the article announcing the new Design Director -- hopefully it's been taken down -- but it was way too much information into the personal squabbles within the CC.
You mean this article?

They don't take anything down around here, which is actually a good thing IMO. What is dead may never die.

By First Maje (Jon Fry)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
On the topic of the spoiler card... I mentioned this idea in the Dojo a few days back but thought I'd also bring it up here. Instead of a card spoiler for the Masters players (which will inevitably get leaked), how about spoiling the card for everyone a few weeks ahead of Masters and then allow the Masters players to use it in that tournament ahead of the official release?
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
First Maje wrote:On the topic of the spoiler card... I mentioned this idea in the Dojo a few days back but thought I'd also bring it up here. Instead of a card spoiler for the Masters players (which will inevitably get leaked), how about spoiling the card for everyone a few weeks ahead of Masters and then allow the Masters players to use it in that tournament ahead of the official release?
You say leaked but it's not a leak. It's a spoiler and it'll get discussed, the entire point of spoilers...

By First Maje (Jon Fry)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Latok wrote: You say leaked but it's not a leak. It's a spoiler and it'll get discussed, the entire point of spoilers...
My understanding is that this situation is being viewed as both: a spoiler for the Masters participants and a leak for the non-Masters players it was shared with.

The terminology doesn't really matter. Rewards for participating in an online tournament are a good idea; having those rewards be a digital spoiler is problematic if there is an expectation that it will stay confined to the folks who receive the e-mail. Because it won't.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]