Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
  • 173 posts

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Naetor wrote:Two things can be true at once:
1. Ross makes a lot of questionable decisions
2. Corbett wasn't good at leading Design
Let's grant that premise. 2 has been solved. what do you do about 1?
I'll revise this a little bit -- I think both of them had/have good intentions. Ross just can't seem to communicate anything effectively to the public. Maybe he's great in the Green Badge forums. John seemed like he was trying too hard to push the game to how he wanted to play and ignored the public. Again, maybe he was great in the Green Badge forums.

As for 1, I can't imagine he'll survive the next PoR but anything is possible in CC decisions.

By Ashbey (Anastasia Kalashnikova)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote: I don't have much for people who quit when they don't get a nerd job.
How do you feel about people, who quit after "- Who is this man, why he got this job, what are his plans and why he has no idea about the game? - Shut up you salty Russian eviscerators, he was the only one who volunteered for the position!" dialogue.

I think the most offensive part of that discussion was the common ignorance about the fact that Ross was NOT the only candidate. Even Ben Hosp who is shitting on Ross now, believed so until recently.
Naetor wrote:As for 1, I can't imagine he'll survive the next PoR but anything is possible in CC decisions.
I think you are really underestimating Ross, Maggie and their happy tree friends.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote:I don't recall anyone saying he was the only one at the time. Hard to imagine anyone thinking that. Ben hosp must have been working very hard to ignore the controversy.
Let's not forget the most important qualification - he stuck his hand up to help.
allengould

A rare agreement with Allen. If you volunteer and have ideas (whatever they are) you're already 95% qualified for the job.
Corbett (!!!)

You're right - just being a "good guy" isn't a qualification... but this is a volunteer organization. Volunteering is a qualification.
Some Racist Pig

Here's the challenge I'd put to you then. Go find the person you want in this job, and twist their arm to get them to volunteer.
allengould

These are just comments from two first pages. And you defenitely owe me a beer for forcing me to dig into this shit again.

Mod Edit [Boffo97] - User was warned for this post.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Ashbey wrote:I think you are really underestimating Ross, Maggie and their happy tree friends.
Well, under the (still-new) bylaws, the PoR isn't Ross, Maggie, and the Board. It's us: dues-paying CC premium members and the volunteers. If we vote to retain him, that reflects on all of us, for better or for worse, not the Board.

Last year's PoR saw Ross do relatively poorly: of 69 voters in his retention election, only 46 voted to retain him (67%). For comparison, all other offices saw ~90% support for retention. This weak result came despite an indirectly related controversy over the Code of Conduct that may have boosted support for Ross. Assuming there's no second Code of Conduct controversy at the end of 2019, that boost was a one-time thing.

A simple majority vote opposing retention would end Ross's term as 2E Director. Assuming the same people vote this year as last year, that means Ross's opponents need to convince 12 people who voted "yes" last year to vote "no" this year.

On the other hand, another majority vote supporting him would continue Ross's term through 2020. Either way, though, the community decides -- specifically the ones who turn out to vote.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Just poking my head into this thread to note that the Australian OP Coordinator vacancy is something I worked to get filled immediately once I began my volunteer role. I enquired to a couple guys I believe I have had good interactions with, but sadly came away understanding they would rather not take on that job. If you are reading this and would like to apply, whether I initially asked you to or not, please reach out. My door is always open, and I would love to fill this vacancy with an energized person ready to get to work rebuilding the Aussie player community.

Thanks for reading.

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote:Things that would make me vote no on a 2e director:

lack of awareness of competitive 2e some years into the job
Lack of awareness of the 2e design test release cycle
Ignoring playtester feedback
Consistently bad communication

Things that would not:

Proposing a crazy idea and then pulling it when the reception is bad from playtesters
Nerd firing a playtester who leaked a crazy idea
Giving a spoiler for a set that is a small number of weeks away

I do have some sympathy with the idea that the brand manager choice was done without transparency. I don't have much for people who quit when they don't get a nerd job.

(TBH I don't think that actually is why the other candidate(s) quit but it seemed like people were implying that.
I think this is where I stand too and, largely based on the last few pages in the thread, I'm ready to support a no confidence vote come PoR. The firing was justified in my opinion, and having terrible ideas that get rightly shot down and ditched isn't concerning to me. The now apparent track record of horrible communication, management, and awareness of the metas is.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote: Giving a spoiler for a set that is a small number of weeks away
No one is actually mad about the spoiler. We’re mad that a set we finished Design work on 4 month ago hasn’t come out yet.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Ashbey wrote:I think you are really underestimating Ross, Maggie and their happy tree friends.
Well, under the (still-new) bylaws, the PoR isn't Ross, Maggie, and the Board. It's us: dues-paying CC premium members and the volunteers. If we vote to retain him, that reflects on all of us, for better or for worse, not the Board.

Last year's PoR saw Ross do relatively poorly: of 69 voters in his retention election, only 46 voted to retain him (67%). For comparison, all other offices saw ~90% support for retention. This weak result came despite an indirectly related controversy over the Code of Conduct that may have boosted support for Ross. Assuming there's no second Code of Conduct controversy at the end of 2019, that boost was a one-time thing.

A simple majority vote opposing retention would end Ross's term as 2E Director. Assuming the same people vote this year as last year, that means Ross's opponents need to convince 12 people who voted "yes" last year to vote "no" this year.

On the other hand, another majority vote supporting him would continue Ross's term through 2020. Either way, though, the community decides -- specifically the ones who turn out to vote.
While all of this is true, I heard that Maggie rallied support for Ross in the run-up to last year's vote. Maybe that's true and maybe it isn't, but if it is, it also makes Alexey's comment true, if not in the same context as originally intended.

If this boils down to the "Ross Haters" vs. the "Happy Tree Friends" I honestly don't know who wins, and I also don't know if that vote even ends up being primarily about Ross's performance as 2e director - there's enough other political currents in the CC community that who the hell knows who will vote for or against and for what reasons.

And I hate to couch it that way, as I personally don't hate Ross. To the contrary, in all of my interactions with him outside the context of his nerd job I've had no problem with the guy. He's made the drive on Ohio winter roads to come to my Trek tournaments. That says something. And I think he genuinely cares about the game, in his own way.

However, as has been pointed out, there's a lot of job performance issues and decisions made (and not made) that Ross will have to face in the upcoming PoR, and I will be voting based on how that goes, because at the end of the day, that's what the vote SHOULD BE about.

Regardless, Ross is always welcome at my tournaments.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
I'm quite confident we'll be able to find an american who wants to become Oz OP coordinator... :wink:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote:I'm quite confident we'll be able to find an american who wants to become Oz OP coordinator... :wink:
I think we should appoint James Hoskin on this job. It would be fair.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ashbey wrote:
monty42 wrote:I'm quite confident we'll be able to find an american who wants to become Oz OP coordinator... :wink:
I think we should appoint James Hoskin on this job. It would be fair.
I thought James was exiled under the reign of Charlie, first of his name, holder of the sacred 2e Jedi costing texts, and then-King of the 2e realm.

If you can get that exile lifted, then sure, why not?
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Fleet Admiral
I know this is said in jest, but I feel like that role is currently on my plate and my response unilaterally has been Australia is given carte blanche. I am not there, I do not know what is best for their players. Invariably, Kieren contacts me and lets me know what events he has scheduled and I try to get them flagged appropriately. Pretty much whenever they want to run something, my response has been "great! how can I help?"
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Fleet Admiral
Ashbey wrote:I think we should appoint James Hoskin on this job. It would be fair.
I for one would welcome James Hoskin back into the fold. As a former DoOP, I could use his insights / mentorship.
Last edited by LORE on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !