Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Clerasil ToB wrote:*) Kraxon, Watchful Warship

What was the purpose to give this ship it's ability even if you loose the engagement? Against standard European [Voy] solver with Voyager and the Delta Flyer it brings up to 10 discards every turn easily. Or was the existance of the new counter card Stunning Reversal enough?

*) Orbital Weapon Platform

Is the purpose of this card to kill one ship decks like Relativity? You are aware that after this any deck using Emergency Evacuation is dead as well? And even if it fits thematically (almost, it would have been better only usable if you have [Dom] and [Car] personell), especially [Dom] with Crippling Strike is always a pain in the a** for flying - now you need two ships at that planet mission. At least it is Unique...

*) Final question: is the goal of this set to make engagements more interesting for effect (drawing cards f.e.) but to destroy deck strategies and enpower pure solvers even more???
Maybe do planet first against [Dom] if you’re worried about this guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote:"Hired Gun" is used so generally in English. Like a sports player who has played for many different clubs and so on. Doesn't need to be an assassin.

But I forget the actual episode. Was he an actual assassin?
No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Yeah, the Orbital Weapons Platform being Dominion only is weird given that those were 100% Cardassian owned and designed defences.

Also is Ral going to get his strength 5 before he becomes legal?

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Was there a conscious decision for Omnipotent Armament not having the Q keyword, or was it just a typo?

Was there a conscious decision for Scum and Villainy not having the Crime keyword, or was it just a typo?

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
Well... 2 of 3 personnel that can answer are banned from the Forum but regardless I will write it here instead of opening a new threat, although it is not really a question:

Now that I have the printed cards in my hands I noticed that Hikaru Sulu, Cunning Tactician is the Commander of Starship Excelsior.
Hikaru Sulu, Loyal Captain from The set The Undiscovered Country is the Captain of the universal U.S.S. Excelsior.
Sinde both Sulus are from the same Movie, that makes no sense. Loyal Captain should get an errata to Starship Excelsior and that ship should be in one of the next sets.

By Neelix (Scott Baughman)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2024
When the latest versions of Sulu was made, there was indeed a plan to create a new card in 2E called "Starship Excelsior" so as to get around the fact that "U.S.S. Excelsior" exists in 2E already as a non-unique ship. I don't know if there's still a plan to create such a card, but if there is I am almost positive that the previous Sulu who is Commander: U.S.S. Excelsior will simply retain that keyword. He'd be the Commander of the non-unique ship and the new Sulu would be Commander of the "Starship Excelsior". Although, it'll be a BIT weird to have a Federation ship with a name like "Starship Excelsior" in 2E, LOL!

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
Enabran wrote:Well... 2 of 3 personnel that can answer are banned from the Forum but regardless I will write it here instead of opening a new threat, although it is not really a question:

Now that I have the printed cards in my hands I noticed that Hikaru Sulu, Cunning Tactician is the Commander of Starship Excelsior.

Hikaru Sulu, Loyal Captain from The set The Undiscovered Country is the Captain of the universal U.S.S. Excelsior.

Since both Sulus are from the same Movie, that makes no sense. Loyal Captain should get an errata to Starship Excelsior and that ship should be in one of the next sets.
I can't speak for Errata but I can tell you a bit about the design process for this card, based on my recollection.

As a team, we decided it felt strange to have a unique personnel that was a matching commander for a non-unique ship. So, we had only two options to address this: as the Errata Team to change the existing ship to a unique one, or find a way to differentiate Sulu's Excelsior from the common non-unique ship named for the whole class of ships. Hikaru Sulu, Cunning Tactician was the result of that search.

Unfortunately, this didn't develop until it was too ate in the set for us to give him his matching ship. But, we did expect he would get his Starship Excelsior sooner or later. However, it hasn't happened yet, which I think is unfortunate. Speaking for myself only, this is one reason why I try to never design "broken links" because they can leave players frustrated about not getting the other part of the link and designers aren't always eager to take on a previous designer's unfinished work.

But, I do hope we get one soon.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
"Starship Excelsior" feels too 1E for my taste.
I remember hating that decision back then.
I still don't like it.
The Prefect wrote:As a team, we decided it felt strange to have a unique personnel that was a matching commander for a non-unique ship.
But it's already there!
In coming up with "Starship Excelsior" you were the ones who broke continuity by making Sulu Captain of two different Ships.
Last edited by monty42 on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Also why can't there just be a different persona of the U.S.S. Excelsior, that is unique, [Pa] and [TOS] ?
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
The Prefect wrote:As a team, we decided it felt strange to have a unique personnel that was a matching commander for a non-unique ship. So, we had only two options to address this: ask the Errata Team to change the existing ship to a unique one, or find a way to differentiate Sulu's Excelsior from the common non-unique ship named for the whole class of ships. Hikaru Sulu, Cunning Tactician was the result of that search.
I'm sure this is a simplified explanation (and I don't mean to second-guess), but I might have gone with the first option (underlined, for convenience). I'd love to know why that option was less desirable. Losing the long-time Federation workhorse? Personally, I would not miss the universal Excelsior in game terms. It prevented too many decks from considering other options.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
The Guardian wrote:Losing the long-time Federation workhorse? Personally, I would not miss the universal Excelsior in game terms. It prevented too many decks from considering other options.
+1

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Guardian wrote:
The Prefect wrote:As a team, we decided it felt strange to have a unique personnel that was a matching commander for a non-unique ship. So, we had only two options to address this: ask the Errata Team to change the existing ship to a unique one, or find a way to differentiate Sulu's Excelsior from the common non-unique ship named for the whole class of ships. Hikaru Sulu, Cunning Tactician was the result of that search.
I'm sure this is a simplified explanation (and I don't mean to second-guess), but I might have gone with the first option (underlined, for convenience). I'd love to know why that option was less desirable. Losing the long-time Federation workhorse? Personally, I would not miss the universal Excelsior in game terms. It prevented too many decks from considering other options.
I wish the design and errata teams talked more. I think the designers working on stuff 1+ year in the future and errata working in a few months timescale leads to some bad results (eg overkill on anti-Borg).

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
monty42 wrote:Also why can't there just be a different persona of the U.S.S. Excelsior, that is unique, [Pa] and [TOS] ?
As far as i am aware there is no precedent for that. I think I remember we did discuss it and then decided against it, but i don't remember why specifically.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]