Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By IQ542 (Matt S)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
  Trek Masters  Participant 2024
Could someone explain the rationale behind the errata of the Defiant now that we have a ship like the Kraxon? The Defiant's game text was issued errata to make an opponent place one card from hand back on top of his/her draw deck as opposed to two. The Defiant requires 3 gold stars/ one silver star to even staff it. Juxtapose this with the staffing requirements/ game text of Kraxon (one gold/ two silver stars). I don't even have to win an engagement with the Kraxon to make an opponent discard roughly 2-7 cards or more if they have multiple ships per turn...... :shifty:

By willraiman (Will Raiman)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
While I'm no official, I'd have to guess it's because the Defiant actually steals a counter from you, by making you lose a card from your hand, whereas the Kraxon only makes you lose cards off the top of your deck, which may or may not even end up being an issue, depending on how well your milling works. Heck, some decks might even enjoy having more stuff in their discard.

By IQ542 (Matt S)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
willraiman wrote:While I'm no official, I'd have to guess it's because the Defiant actually steals a counter from you, by making you lose a card from your hand, whereas the Kraxon only makes you lose cards off the top of your deck, which may or may not even end up being an issue, depending on how well your milling works. Heck, some decks might even enjoy having more stuff in their discard.
True and good point. The Defiant does make you place the cards back on top of your deck taking counters; however, a player losing up to 7+ cards off the top of their deck from the Kraxon makes the Defiant look quaint by comparison. I don't think a player needs much luck when he/she is milling so many cards per turn. Also, the Kraxon will most likely be combined with other mill cards for added damage. Non-aligned Dukat would also be an obvious addition to any mill deck to remove valuable cards from the discard pile.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
First factor is that it's 0-7 not 2-7.
Second it's an engagement, how are you making the opponent give you a ship to shoot at? To keep it with the weird comparison to the Defiant, you'd need to bring 0 non-HQ missions to counter it's ability.

By IQ542 (Matt S)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Latok wrote:First factor is that it's 0-7 not 2-7.
Second it's an engagement, how are you making the opponent give you a ship to shoot at? To keep it with the weird comparison to the Defiant, you'd need to bring 0 non-HQ missions to counter it's ability.
First, the comparison isn't that off.... Just not sure why the Defiant needed to be errata'd when we make ships like the Kraxon that could make you discard so many cards. Two cards on top of my deck? Big deal....Second, good point with the relativity 0 cost ships. I completely forgot about those.... doesn't invalidate my point, but it is a way around the Kraxon's ability. :twocents:
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Take this with a grain of salt, because I'm not sure I'm remembering all the details correctly.

At the time the [Maq] Defiant was given errata, there was a very dominant Maquis deck that could regularly eliminate your entire hand. The deck was difficult to play, but when played well by a skilled player, nobody could really survive the deck. When looking for ways to address the deck's power, the Defiant was an easy way to mitigate the repeatable damage done by that deck.

-crp

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
IQ542 wrote:Could someone explain the rationale behind the errata of the Defiant now that we have a ship like the Kraxon? The Defiant's game text was issued errata to make an opponent place one card from hand back on top of his/her draw deck as opposed to two. The Defiant requires 3 gold stars/ one silver star to even staff it. Juxtapose this with the staffing requirements/ game text of Kraxon (one gold/ two silver stars). I don't even have to win an engagement with the Kraxon to make an opponent discard roughly 2-7 cards or more if they have multiple ships per turn...... :shifty:
The answer is somewhere between different cards are different, errata has tended to be more of a hammer than a scalpel, and Mike Shea really loves Cardassians.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Naetor wrote:
IQ542 wrote:Could someone explain the rationale behind the errata of the Defiant now that we have a ship like the Kraxon? The Defiant's game text was issued errata to make an opponent place one card from hand back on top of his/her draw deck as opposed to two. The Defiant requires 3 gold stars/ one silver star to even staff it. Juxtapose this with the staffing requirements/ game text of Kraxon (one gold/ two silver stars). I don't even have to win an engagement with the Kraxon to make an opponent discard roughly 2-7 cards or more if they have multiple ships per turn...... :shifty:
The answer is somewhere between different cards are different, errata has tended to be more of a hammer than a scalpel, and Mike Shea really loves Cardassians.
*chuckle*
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]

Apologies for the delays in the results. They will[…]