Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Ashbey (Anastasia Kalashnikova)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I just looked at Weight of Command with fresh eyes. This dilemma's current text:

Randomly select three personnel. Each Officer personnel selected is stopped. Then place each unstopped [Rom] selected at your headquarters mission.
It really looks like one word was omitted and this should really be:
Randomly select three personnel. Each Officer personnel selected is stopped. Then place each unstopped [Rom] personnel selected at your headquarters mission.
Should we call for cosmetic errata?

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
No.

The word personnel would be redundant and unnecessary.

Read aloud, this dilemma's text says, "Randomly select three personnel. Each Officer personnel selected is stopped. Then place each unstopped Romulan selected at your headquarters mission."

That is both clear and grammatically correct.

By Cmdr Xym (Joseph Bazemore)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Ashbey is correct...it should have "personnel". If you read it aloud, and say "Romulan", that would refer to species. The card actually has the Romulan icon (not the word "Romulan"), referring to affiliation.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Ashbey’s right. This is the only instance of an affiliation icon not being followed by a skill, “personnel”, or “ship”. There’s no precedent for it. Weight of Command, as written, is incorrect.

By Ashbey (Anastasia Kalashnikova)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Cmdr Xym wrote:Ashbey is correct...it should have "personnel". If you read it aloud, and say "Romulan", that would refer to species. The card actually has the Romulan icon (not the word "Romulan"), referring to affiliation.
:thumbsup:

I also think that [Rom] is replacing adjective-Romulan, not noun-Romulan. So the phrase has no object and therefore is grammatically incorrect.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I agree it's technically wrong.

I'm not sure it matters.

The dilemma's own text limits the application to personnel, so even if it's not explicitly stated as " [Rom] personnel" I'm not convinced it messes up the game play at all.

So sure, fix it whenever, but it's not a house on fire level issue.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
Armus wrote:I agree it's technically wrong.

I'm not sure it matters.

The dilemma's own text limits the application to personnel, so even if it's not explicitly stated as " [Rom] personnel" I'm not convinced it messes up the game play at all.

So sure, fix it whenever, but it's not a house on fire level issue.
Yeah that's pretty much my feeling too. I'll stand corrected on my original opposition. Fix the card if it's wrong, but I've always understood what the dilemma meant, and so has anyone I've seen play it or face it.

But, Alexey is correct it's technically wrong - and the other two dilemmas that follow what is essentially the template, Moral Choice and Discommendation both have the word personnel in them...

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]