Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
Nate, you have a fundamental fact wrong about Excelsior and HoF. I'm not sure how it works now, but at the time I was in the position, new formats of play were not part of the Brand Managers responsibilities. Or if they were, then somebody neglected to inform me.

I'm not sure I understand your point; you're insinuating that Hall of Fame format has split the community? And as I didn't do anything about HoF, it's therefore my fault the community is split? I'll own up to my mistakes, but not sure I can take responsibility for this one.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
nickyank wrote:Nate, you have a fundamental fact wrong about Excelsior and HoF. I'm not sure how it works now, but at the time I was in the position, new formats of play were not part of the Brand Managers responsibilities. Or if they were, then somebody neglected to inform me.

I'm not sure I understand your point; you're insinuating that Hall of Fame format has split the community? And as I didn't do anything about HoF, it's therefore my fault the community is split? I'll own up to my mistakes, but not sure I can take responsibility for this one.
Not having a person in unequivocal leadership for a year -- I'm even assuming you did your job up to the point of your first resignation, which appears questionable -- led to both of these things. Maybe I should blame the chairman for that and not you.

Regardless, you had your time as leader. You appeared to not do that job at least in part during your tenure. And rather than aid with a transition to the next Brand Manager, 2e spent a year not know who was running the show -- in part, it appears, because you didn't really step down but didn't do the job either. As a result, 2e was in a tough situation that year, and the repercussions manifested more publicly the following.

Whatever your gripes are with Ross, I can't remember him #volunteercard'ing. That means a lot to me.

By ntimmons (Neil Timmons)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Honest wrote:I remember Neil being deputy chair for a couple of years when he played very few events and posted once or twice a year, usually with a personal opinion and not a Deputy CHair opinion.

In fairness to NEil, I don't think he had a defined job description as DC, but that further underlines my point. He had a green badge for a long time and didn't do any (that I could see visible) CC work

Honest
I'm the one guy who was but now isn't a green badge that you have to leave out of this. I was put into a position that was newly created with zero job description (other then checking Charlie's pulse?). I tried getting into several departments to help. My help was simply not asked for nor accepted. The only person who actually helped me out was Chris Lobban, so in my book he is one of the best we have. I stopped paying attention when the nerd war broke out of which I didn't want any part, when I got back turns out I wasn't a green badge anymore. Not that I had done anything despite multiple attempts to even simply understand how things work.

Please don't use me as an example, I am not a good one.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
ntimmons wrote:
Honest wrote:I remember Neil being deputy chair for a couple of years when he played very few events and posted once or twice a year, usually with a personal opinion and not a Deputy CHair opinion.

In fairness to NEil, I don't think he had a defined job description as DC, but that further underlines my point. He had a green badge for a long time and didn't do any (that I could see visible) CC work

Honest
I'm the one guy who was but now isn't a green badge that you have to leave out of this. I was put into a position that was newly created with zero job description (other then checking Charlie's pulse?). I tried getting into several departments to help. My help was simply not asked for nor accepted. The only person who actually helped me out was Chris Lobban, so in my book he is one of the best we have. I stopped paying attention when the nerd war broke out of which I didn't want any part, when I got back turns out I wasn't a green badge anymore. Not that I had done anything despite multiple attempts to even simply understand how things work.

It is absolutely true that at times during my time in the Previous Chairman* position, I did an absolute rubbish job of delegating. I kept my fingers in too many pies and was too controlling, including during the times Kieren, Nick, and Neil were part of the organization. I've worked really hard to improve in these areas, but that doesn't excuse my failings with them.

I'm not saying this to justify anything or excuse anything, just to be honest. I was a flawed manager at times, and these three volunteers in particular were impacted more than others. I do apologize, but I'm more hopeful my actions since have shown that more than these words do.

-crp

* Previously, that title was given to the person at the top of the organization's hierarchy. Because the new use of that term is radically different, marking the board member in charge of chairing meetings, I wanted to clarify.

By ntimmons (Neil Timmons)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:
ntimmons wrote:

Honest

It is absolutely true that at times during my time in the Previous Chairman* position, I did an absolute rubbish job of delegating. I kept my fingers in too many pies and was too controlling, including during the times Kieren, Nick, and Neil were part of the organization. I've worked really hard to improve in these areas, but that doesn't excuse my failings with them.

I'm not saying this to justify anything or excuse anything, just to be honest. I was a flawed manager at times, and these three volunteers in particular were impacted more than others. I do apologize, but I'm more hopeful my actions since have shown that more than these words do.

-crp

* Previously, that title was given to the person at the top of the organization's hierarchy. Because the new use of that term is radically different, marking the board member in charge of chairing meetings, I wanted to clarify.
You don't need to apologize, we had a lot of fun podcasting about the will of the collective, and played a lot of trek. To this day I am thankful my blanket barrier was effective despite your claim that it wasn't. :wink:

I think it isn't fair to judge Nick by what others in unrelated situations did. Judge him by *his* actions. He had some bad life stuff come up that he had to deal with, and it impacted his interactions with TrekCC. He's sorted his stuff out and said he was sorry and wants to add his volunteer time to the TrekCC, and people don't want him to do that? We go to war with the army we have not the army we want... If he has time to help out, I say get him involved!

N!

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
ntimmons wrote:

Honest

I get it, and sorry. I was asked for an example of people who had green badges but didn't seem to have any tasks. As I suggested and Charlie confirmed, it wasn't your fault.

My overall point being Nick is being criticised for things he didn't do 3+ years ago and he shouldn't be.

And Chris is a remarkably good CC member

Honest
Last edited by Honest on Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I really like to hear that you want to make the playtesting process more open, we still need far more playtesters to be able to oversee that amount of new cards each year,also those people have to playtest the errata options too.
IMO playtesting and errata are the key instruments to have a "balanced " meta with joyful 2nd games for all active playgroups.
I really would like to see an active playing member from each playgroup involved in those processes.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Also I really hope that this forum could become again a place for an open dialogue of everything nerdie and especially the development of the game in particular.
I gladly have been able to meet so many awesome fellow trek-enthusiasts over the last nine years, that I would probably never had the chance to meet without this game and forum. It always has been a very special place to me, but lately the level of arguing felt like being on twitter or Facebook.... that's a bloody shame!
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
I'm going to start where I should have started pages ago. Nick, I'm sorry that this horrible thing happened to you and your family. I'm glad that you were able to rebound and I'm happy that the business is up and running on it own. If you want to get a jump start on helping make things better, you know how to reach me.
Ashbey wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote:
Fritzinger wrote:4. A lot of 2e volunteers are upset at the moment.
By far most of us are working on the next few sets. Lassie is testing well and will be sent to rules/creative soon and plans are developing for Interaction 2020. Anniversary is in production and while it is still early in that process, it is going well thus far.
People may do the work, while being upset.
People may also do the work while being indifferent. People may also do the work while being happy. I can't speak for others, but looking at the work that the playtesters, designers, creative and rules are putting in, I have a hard time thinking that they are continuously and consistently upset.
Ashbey wrote:Again, dont take a credit for their accomplishments for yourself - you have been mostly hindering and sabotaging that hard work for last three years.
Again, I'm not taking credit for their work. In the message you quoted, I specifically mentioned Rules and Creative and implied testing. All of my introductory articles praise several departments in getting the cards out, both from our department and outside. In the Treasures article for the latest set, I praise the playtesters. In the A Less Perfect Union intro article, I praised Rules for their tireless work on getting the support in place for a two sided card.
Ashbey wrote:Specifically, your role in Lassie was very counterproductive so far.
You and Mike have done a great job with Lassie. It could really change the way decks will look one it releases. There was a break that was imposed on you and I'll apologize again for that.

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]