Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
A lot of people are saying some dumb shit in here that I think they’re going to regret in a few days.

Maybe calm down a little bit?

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
Sascha Kiefer wrote: But don't underestimate the level of accumulated frustration that some player's have to endure over the last years, especially outside the US.
Most just stopped being interested in 2nd at all, some gone full Khaaaaaan-mode.
Amen Brother. I am not sure if AU continentals will run this year, personally I don't have much motivation to give up my time to run and promote it.

On topic, my experience with Nick is that apart from being a remarkably nice guy and fun to be around, he also has a passion for TREK and making it awesome. 2016 is quite a while ago, and we have people still on the CC and have done less for longer periods.

On the flip side, I don't think that 2E is in a mess, and whilst Ross says some things that I regard as evasive, is seems to be active (and keen)

CHeers all

Honest
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
Honest wrote:…we have people still on the CC and have done less for longer periods.
Who?

If you're going to continue to throw bombs, at least back it up with specifics.

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
I remember Neil being deputy chair for a couple of years when he played very few events and posted once or twice a year, usually with a personal opinion and not a Deputy CHair opinion.

In fairness to NEil, I don't think he had a defined job description as DC, but that further underlines my point. He had a green badge for a long time and didn't do any (that I could see visible) CC work

Honest
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Hiya Nick! I certainly enjoyed the events you ran in 2015 and 2016, but I guess that's OP more than brand managing.

Questions:

1. How and where have you been participating in the community since you got your nerd time back? Playing, discussing etc?

2. If I have the timeline right, you missed a lot of phase 2. What did you think of it?

3. What do you think of the latest set?

4. A lot of 2e volunteers are upset at the moment. What do you think needs to be done to keep them happy?
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Fritzinger wrote:4. A lot of 2e volunteers are upset at the moment.
By far most of us are working on the next few sets. Lassie is testing well and will be sent to rules/creative soon and plans are developing for Interaction 2020. Anniversary is in production and while it is still early in that process, it is going well thus far.

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
Responses to The Prefect – Michael Shea
You say "2nd Edition is a mess right now". In what ways, specifically, is 2e "a mess" in your view, and on what do you base that conclusion?
When I say 2E is a mess right now, I could have been clearer – I don’t think the game is a mess, but all the behind the scenes drama, such as the Corbett incident, the playtesting problems (Monty’s leak), general concerns I’ve been hearing about the direction the game is taken.
How much of that do you believe is attributable directly to Ross' leadership? How much of that do you believe is directly attributable to other factors
It’d be easy to say it’s down to Ross’ leadership, and it certainly does appear that way on the surface due to some of his statements, but without knowing all the facts it isn’t possible to say.
You say you have specific plans. Can you give us examples of what they are?
Playtesting for one – this needs a complete overhaul; the current system does not work. I’ve been considering the option of a more public system, where anyone can playtest in a hidden forum that you would need to join (like Quark’s Bar) so anyone not interested wouldn’t see it. This would need to be controlled, so a Playtesting Coordinator role would be needed to act as the buffer between playtesting and design.
Also, let's assume for the sake of this question that you find yourself resuming the position of 2e Brand Manager assuming the position of 2e Director in the near future. Would you use your new authority to alter or change design projects that may be currently in development, and why or why not?
Difficult to say – I’m not sure what’s in development at the moment. However, unless the current project is particularly bad I can’t imagine binning work that has already been completed
You indicate you'd like to resume your position as 2e Brand Manager assume the position of 2e Director. What specifically would you point to as successes under your tenure as 2e Brand Manager that were directly attributable to your leadership?
Two things that I implemented during my previous tenure that I look at as successes, although were also controversial. The first was the errata team – people have to remember that before the errata team existed, we were getting some very contentious errata. Second was the appointment of a design director (although the position wasn’t known as a director then). Someone to oversee and guide the design process, which had been lacking before that. Charlie had been fulfilling this role up until this point.

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Responses to Gorgo Primus – Benjamin Rostoker
I'd also really want to hear what your plans, goals, dreams, and criticisms for 2E today are. Is there anything you'd pledge to never do or, conversely, do asap
See above responses to most of these. Anything I’d pledge to never do? Never say never! As for ASAP, well playtesting should be number one priority

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus – Brian Sykes (and Mogor)
You went AWOL last time you had this job. If given another chance, what will you do to ensure such behavior doesn't repeat itself? Related, if for some reason something does come up again, what will you do to ensure continuity of operations if you're not available?
I can’t guarantee that behaviour wouldn’t repeat, as much as I’d like to promise you otherwise. Who knows what the future holds? The best you can do is put procedures in place to minimise any effect when life happens. To that end, I’d want to get all the departments to be able to function with my absence; even with the best intentions, I still might be away on vacation. In coordination with that, I’d have one of the department heads be able to act as my deputy, someone to make decisions in any absence.
As I stated earlier, your old job as written doesn't exist anymore. Why do you think you're qualified to be the leader of the 2e game?
I don’t see the role as leader of the game – that’s the chairs role. This role should be one of management, hence why I keep calling it Brand Manager; someone who helps put systems in place and is liaison between all different CC departments (art, creative, writing, 1E). The direction the game takes should not be one person’s vision, but rather the Chair, the Brand Manager, and design director working with the CC community. Let’s get the community involved more.
What is your vision for 2e as a game? Put another way, what do you see as the biggest needs and how will you go about addressing said needs?
As I said before, I don’t believe my vision for the future of the game as important as the communities. If it was mine, then we’d just end up with 12 variations of Khan decks lol. The biggest needs right now?
1. Earning the community trust
2. Playtesting
3. Evaluating each department to determine any issues
4. Looking at the constant deadlines being missed and delays
What is your view of the positions (not the people) of Design Director and Errata Lead? Would you continue with the current structure or would you re-evaluate?
As Mogor asked for more details, by department:

Design – I think I’m like most people and am unsure of what is happening in design right now, things have changed recently, I have no idea how the new structure is working out as we have yet to see a set from them. I’m not even sure that the design director is the same position now as what I originally set up. I will say that recent sets have been good, and most, if not all, have been well received. This is the most important job in the 2E structure, though

Playtesting – I keep stating how important this is. It is currently under the design purview, but I think it needs its own coordinator, it’s own (small) team that works with design, and playtesting too

Errata - very important, but I think we need to go back to how we originally conceived the role – rotating, on a six to twelve month basis. We would need to keep members from design, rules, creative, and the new playtesting department, as well as some of the more prominent players from around the World

Creative – I may be misremembering, but I don’t recall this being split between 1E and 2E when Matt Kirk was in charge of it? But according to the company chart, it’s there! Not much else to say really at this point

Rules – rules is obviously another important role, but I think we need to look at a better interface for asking and receiving answers. Currently people post on the Gameplay forum and hope that Amber sees it and can respond. This needs to be improved.

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Responses to Fritzinger
How and where have you been participating in the community since you got your nerd time back? Playing, discussing etc?
I’ve been playing a lot more – obviously the London tournaments, but this year I’ve also been to Austria for Worlds and Texas for TiTS. I’m planning for Chicago next year, and am hoping to announce plans for a weekend of Trek next April here in Essex to celebrate my… 25th?... birthday
Always discussing things with the UK guys, but had lots of conversations with people from around the world this year on my travels.
If I have the timeline right, you missed a lot of phase 2. What did you think of it?
Think you might have your timeline wrong… but Phase 2 was ok; I think the more recent expansions have been much better
What do you think of the latest set?
Its great! Was really happy to play with the cards last weekend, and seeing some new deck designs incorporating the battle cards.
A lot of 2e volunteers are upset at the moment. What do you think needs to be done to keep them happy?
Without meaning to sound too flippant, a change of 2E managerial staff maybe? But there are lots of volunteers with many different reasons for being unhappy, so I’d be able to answer better with examples (no names, though!)

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I don't check out the 2E boards as much as I should but I am glad I did this time.

My condolences on your loss sir.

I am lucky to still have both my parents, though, I feel for not that much longer. The last few years have really taken a toll on them and they are both sick at the moment.

While I have lost people close to me, I can't imagine what it's like to lose a parent. So, my hear goes out to ya.

All that said, I have no opinion on the rest of the topic as I am a solely 1E player. BUT, if you were good for the brand, I support you drive to get back to being in a position to direct said brand. FYI .. this is not a reflection of Ross. I have only spoken to him once or twice. I dont follow 2E so he could be awesome or crap .. no idea. If he is doing well, let him continue. If he isn't, someone is waiting in the wings.

Best of luck to you both.

By Ashbey (Anastasia Kalashnikova)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:
Fritzinger wrote:4. A lot of 2e volunteers are upset at the moment.
By far most of us are working on the next few sets. Lassie is testing well and will be sent to rules/creative soon and plans are developing for Interaction 2020. Anniversary is in production and while it is still early in that process, it is going well thus far.
People may do the work, while being upset. Again, dont take a credit for their accomplishments for yourself - you have been mostly hindering and sabotaging that hard work for last three years. Specifically, your role in Lassie was very counterproductive so far.

Also, blaming a person for losing a parent is horrible. I was in that situation - one parent dead, the other is very ill - you really dont have time or energy to communicate with other people except for your closest friends.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Naetor wrote: -a failed Excelsior project
-a HoF format that fractured one group.
Do you actually not see the contradiction between complaining that Excelsior failed and also complaining that HoF succeeded?

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
bhosp wrote:
Do you actually not see the contradiction between complaining that Excelsior failed and also complaining that HoF succeeded?
I also have a hard time seeing how an optional format fractured a group. I've tried it a couple times, and its not a bad option to enrich the 2E experience. It's not the end all, but it definitely changes it up for long term players. One of Corbett's ideas that I really rather like

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
bhosp wrote:
The point is during the year+ where Nick was absentee Brand Manager, that leadership role was assumed in part by John and part by Matt. Rather than create a unified 2e, both tried there own way. I'd say one of the two was even actively hoping the other would fail.

So now we have a significant size group of players that wanna just play play their own game. I guess that's fine, but that's an obvious result of Nick going AWOL.

I'm surprised that you and your buddies had all weekend to come up with a plan to oust Ross, and the best thing you can think of is trod out the last guy who had the job and didn't do it. I would have went with you. The kids were probably even a better choice.

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.