Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Merlok
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Ahoy All!

What are the differences between 1E and 2E? I know from reading the 2E rules, that 2E only utilizes 7 card types. Can any 1E Personnel, Ships, Equipment, Events, Interrupts, Missions, & Dilemmas be used in 2E?

=/\=

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
They are completely different games. They don't share any cards* and have totally different rules and play-styles. It's a bit like the difference between Magic the Gathering and Yugioh - they both have spells and monsters and attacking your opponent's life points, but asking what the difference between them is is a big question.

2E was a game made by Decipher as a do-over to make a game without all the bloat, mistakes, and problems they felt 1E had accumulated over the years. Though since the Continuing Committee took over management of the games they seem to have done a lot to clean up 1E.

Generally speaking, 1E is significantly more complex and is prides itself on allowing for the replication of every conceivable moment/possibility in Star Trek (and a bunch of non-canon Trek things); for 1E 'Treksense' trumps gameplay. 2E is way easier to learn/understand and prides itself on putting good gameplay and consistent rules applications first and foremost.

I happen to think that 2E is the best ccg ever made, whereas I have zero interest in 1E.

*Anymore - the few 'backwards compatible' cards have been phased out.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Welcome to the boards!

No overlap in cards, nothing from one game is legal in the other. This really doesn't matter in the era of printability :).

Important notes of comparison, off the top of my head:

- You still have personnel flying in ships to attempt missions.
- You still need to solve missions to win the game
- There's no seed phase. Your have a dilemma deck that behaves like the Q-Flash side deck in 1E - draw 1 dilemma per personnel attempting.
- There are no outposts, you have one or more HQ mission which is not attemptable and tells you what personnel you can play.
- Affilliations are less important. Your deck normally revolves around the people you can play at your HQ.
- All cards in your draw deck (except interrupts) have a cost, you get 7 counters to use per turn to pay for those costs
- Drawing happens when you pay one counter to draw one card
- You can't attempt your opponent's missions, but you can fly to them and disrupt their plans with infiltration or battle or assassination or assimilation or capture or ... the list goes on and on.
- Ship movement is different, the spaceline isn't linear, you fly directly from your current mission to the one you're going to. You just add the start and end span.
- Response timing is drastically simpler. Interrupts all respond to a specific thing "when you X" or "while Y is happening" and if they don't they're called orders.
- Orders are the actions you can take on your turn that aren't playing/drawing and it is very clear how you can't do one order during another.
- All the rules fit in one rulebook, total rules volume is way lower than even MtG.
- Lots of in-game optimisation decisions

Re treksense which is a common topic of comparison: the game lets you do pretty much everything that exists in Trek, with some gaps for gameplay over treksense. E.g. Voyager can fly from the DQ to Earth in one turn. Despite the non-treksense aspects of the rules, the way the cards actually work together in real games still brings a good sense of flavour. E.g. Voyager decks never include Earth.

See my signature about complexity: the game is still plenty complicated enough for Trek brains. There's just less gratuitous complexity about text in lore and gender and side decks and matching vs compatible and and and.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Really depends on what you prefer 1E more strategical 2E more tactical

By willraiman (Will Raiman)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Hey Merlok, I see that you're from GA. I run a big board game day once a month in Atlanta, and I always include a 2E tournament at 1pm as part of the festivities. If you ever feel like coming up and seeing some 2E at play and/or maybe doing some board games, we'd love to have you. We always have some decks to borrow if you feel like playing, too.

The next event on November 16th:

https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ntID=11263

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
willraiman wrote:Hey Merlok, I see that you're from GA. I run a big board game day once a month in Atlanta, and I always include a 2E tournament at 1pm as part of the festivities. If you ever feel like coming up and seeing some 2E at play and/or maybe doing some board games, we'd love to have you. We always have some decks to borrow if you feel like playing, too.

The next event on November 16th:

https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ntID=11263
These events are excellent! We've got a great group of players. You'd be welcome!
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

Interested but as you know life is a bit nuts with[…]

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]