Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Does Gelnon’s ability activate when he himself is played (assuming he’s the first unique [Dom] personnel being played.)

I think the answer is no, but I was unable to explain why to Sandy (who, by the way, correctly pointed out that the answer would be *yes* in Game of Thrones.)

Same question for K’tal and Tal I guess.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
No.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
bhosp wrote:Does Gelnon’s ability activate when he himself is played (assuming he’s the first unique [Dom] personnel being played.)

I think the answer is no, but I was unable to explain why to Sandy (who, by the way, correctly pointed out that the answer would be *yes* in Game of Thrones.)

Same question for K’tal and Tal I guess.
The answer is no. The rulebook spells out why.
playing a card – Below is the timing sequence for playing a card during a player’s Play and Draw Cards segment and response actions involving that card.

1. Active Player (the player whose turn it is) examines the information available to him or her and determines that he or she can pay the costs to play a card in his or her hand and, if the card is to enter play, verifies that there is a location at which the card may do so.

2. The Active Player announces his or her intention to play said card, reveals the card from his or her hand, and declares where it will enter play using gametext that allows the play. Any gametext on the card required to play it to its destination activates.

3. The card’s cost-related gametext activates. Cost-related response actions process beginning with the Active Player.

4. Active Player pays all costs of playing the card.

5. Mandatory “prevent” response actions process beginning with the Active Player.

6. Optional “prevent” response actions process beginning with the Active Player.

7. If the playing of the card has not been prevented, that card enters play at the location specified by the Active Player, it becomes subject to any applicable conditional effects, its non-cost-related gametext becomes active and the Active Player now commands the card.

8. Mandatory “When . . . (play/plays/played)” response actions process beginning with the Active Player.

9. Optional “When . . . (play/plays/played)” response actions process beginning with the Active Player.

10. Once all response actions are complete, the Active Player may continue his or her Play and Draw Cards segment.

While a player is resolving game text on a card activated by playing that same card, that game text may not reference the characteristics of the played card for any purpose, unless specifically stated otherwise.

For Example: K’Tal, Senior Council Member reads “When you play a Chancellor or High Council Member at this mission, you may download an event.” You may not trigger K’Tal’s gametext when you play him, even though he is a High Council Member, because he does not specifically state “this personnel” in his ability.

For Example: Evek, Agent of Cardassian Justice reads “When you playthis personnel, if you command six [Car] personnel, you may reveal the top three cards of an opponent’s deck.” You may not count Evek as one
of your personnel while his text is still being resolved.
Short explanation in bold if you don't want to read the whole thing.

Good mornin' lads, just got me thinking: What w[…]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]

Apologies for the delays in the results. They will[…]

MW for doctorjoya over tykajada 35-0. GG! :cheers[…]