Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

Would you be interested in playing in online Return to Farpoint events in 2020?

Yes
50%
No
50%

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hey all-

I'm thinking about starting up an online Return to Farpoint tournament series next year and I'm trying to figure out if there's enough interest to make it viable.

The poll will run for the next 60 days. If I get sufficient Yes votes I'll run the first event in January or February next year, and probably either monthly or bi-monthly after that.

Also, if you're on the fence and have any suggestions for incentives that would get you on board, please post in-thread or PM me any suggestions.

Thanks for your interest! :cheersL:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I'm intrigued. There are some achievements that I've been meaning to grab if given the chance to do one of these.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
Perhaps it would be good to explain the format to those who might be unfamiliar? It means players can only use sets 1-10, is that right? So, Second Edition through Captain's Log...
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
The Prefect wrote:Perhaps it would be good to explain the format to those who might be unfamiliar? It means players can only use sets 1-10, is that right? So, Second Edition through Captain's Log...
I believe it's one tournament per set, so the first tournament will only be using Second Edition, then the second tournament adds Energize to the pool, third Call to Arms and so on. Maybe a a number of the smaller sets at the same time, not exactly sure how those are handled.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Latok wrote:
The Prefect wrote:Perhaps it would be good to explain the format to those who might be unfamiliar? It means players can only use sets 1-10, is that right? So, Second Edition through Captain's Log...
I believe it's one tournament per set, so the first tournament will only be using Second Edition, then the second tournament adds Energize to the pool, third Call to Arms and so on. Maybe a a number of the smaller sets at the same time, not exactly sure how those are handled.
Also, some versions of RtF "Hall of Fame" a few cards from each expansion before the tournament - typically ones deemed beyond the curve.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Playing a 4 round tournament in the Energize meta seems too much.

I'd rather do 1 game per card pool than 1 tournament. Fun rules you could do with that:
-must keep same HQ throughout (maybe option to change to new affiliation when they get introduced)
-must keep some % of cards in deck from set/round to set
-draft packs from each set and you can only make decks with your packs, but you are allowed to trade with other participants
-draft cards from each set (ala Tin Draft) and you can only play with your drafted cards from round to round, trades or no?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Naetor wrote:Playing a 4 round tournament in the Energize meta seems too much.

I'd rather do 1 game per card pool than 1 tournament.
Funny thing, the thought of playing 4 rounds just Second Edition was the one thing giving me pause here.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
jadziadax8 wrote:Funny thing, the thought of playing 4 rounds just Second Edition was the one thing giving me pause here.
Premiere Only Constructed is the best. The Original Champion's Challenge was an annual event here in MN for years before the Frid's all retired.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
LORE wrote:
jadziadax8 wrote:Funny thing, the thought of playing 4 rounds just Second Edition was the one thing giving me pause here.
Premiere Only Constructed is the best. The Original Champion's Challenge was an annual event here in MN for years before the Frid's all retired.
Any chance he'd come out of retirement for an online gig?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
There's different ways to do it, but basically the idea is to start with early sets and progressively add more sets to the card pool as the tournament series progresses.

So maybe (and this isn't definite), start with Premiere only (or maybe Premiere+Energize) for event 1, then add say Call to Arms and Necessary Evil for event 2, etc.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Armus wrote:
There's different ways to do it, but basically the idea is to start with early sets and progressively add more sets to the card pool as the tournament series progresses.

So maybe (and this isn't definite), start with Premiere only (or maybe Premiere+Energize) for event 1, then add say Call to Arms and Necessary Evil for event 2, etc.
When I did it, I would mix up the formats from time to time to keep things interesting, such as alternate constructed formats (Slipstream, Academy) or even a sealed pool from time to time.

Here's a look back at one of the full seasons I ran to give you one possible progression of events.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Thanks Dan. I definitely see some potential there.

Apparently Lackey can do sealed deck. Is there any interest in 2e sealed events?

I've seen Premiere Sealed, Fractured Time sealed, and Dangerous Missions sealed as options in the past. Maybe even a "Rainbow Sealed" option could work.

Just spitballing some ideas. There's only been limited interest so far, so I'm trying to see what events would get people excited to play 2e again.

Thoughts?

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I’d do a sealed with the pack generator. Just wouldn’t do Farpoint, HoF, or anything else that heavily restricts the cardpool.

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]