Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Last year we had 231 players play trekcc tournaments (0.63 players per day). In 317 days so far this year we have 214 players, which is slightly ahead of that curve (0.67 per day). If we keep that up, we'll reach 244 players. Even if we don't, I am hoping that we can maintain the slightly upwards tick in overall number of sanctioned players since the low point of 229 players in 2017.

Obviously, this late in the year it feels like it's unlikely for anyone who hasn't played a tournament at all this year to suddenly show up. All the major tournaments are done, but still I dare to believe!

This weekend I'm hosting a tournament which should feature 2 first time entrants to sanctioned events. Anyone else got anything? That one guy who only ever shows up in December? End of year board games + trek event (Honest?). Plus we have a great new set with Sulu taking over your opponent's ships. Surely that is something to attract all comers?

Good luck to Ambassadors, TDs, organisers and arm twisters everywhere!
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Prophet
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
We usually host a game night or two in November / December. In MN, as the weather turns against us, we can usually conjure up a new / returning player for one of those gigs. :cross:

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
We are chatting about doing a "Claytonmas" style event in Sydney, but as Clayton is away over that period will push back into January.

Not much chance of anything happening in Sydney before the new year, but you never know

Honest
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I had 8 players out for my IDIC draft tourney yesterday, two of whom were brand new to 2E and three who had only played 1E so far this year. We had a fantastic time! It was great to get back together. :D
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:I had 8 players out for my IDIC draft tourney yesterday, two of whom were brand new to 2E and three who had only played 1E so far this year. We had a fantastic time! It was great to get back together. :D
Amazing!

Sadly my event didn’t fire. Ima have to run some more before the end of the year.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I wish I could get Lackey up; and my 2e Borg decks in; and learn the game well enough to play an online event... but that's a long stretch for this particular deadline.
And no one to practice with IRL.
I do usually benefit from these kind of things though, to motivate/support/boost my progress. So actually, this has been in the back of my mind, and may have helped my work on my 2e decks along.
Still, they're no more than fun decks with as many Borg-themed cards and cool-looking drones as possible... :lol: Y'all may be better off! :wink:

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
You see the whole load of bullshit that certain people have been dropping on us about "fictional new players"???

This is how things work. Drop the venomous influencers and people will get into our fine hobby.

Of course there also has to be hard work by dedicated players who are showing our game to people. So hereby I want to congratulate those supportive ladies and gentlemen from our community who made it possible. Also a warm welcome to our new players.

I am so happy there are new faces and new friendships coming into our community. Have fun times you all.

Cheers

Nerdo
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Hi nerdo, I think we have to be realistic: I started this thread because right now the player numbers are looking like they might be down year on year and that is also the long term trajectory, despite holding steady last year.

Those other people are wrong about new players, but I also have to admit that getting people to sit down and play on any specific date, or to reliably play more than one game in a row has proven difficult. Let alone to experiment with their own decks (even to choose netdecks).

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote:Hi nerdo, I think we have to be realistic:
I started this thread because right now the player numbers are looking like they might be down year on year and that is also the long term trajectory, despite holding steady last year.
We don't have to be realistic; since this is only a game hobby, we can choose what we do.
I choose to be hopeful and optimistic. I keep asking my friends (with a big grin, if it's not the first time) if they want to try.
I think voicing doubts like this might be realistic, yes -- but not constructive to overall progress. If there was an atmosphere where people were only bragging about how many new faces were at their table, and how "easy" that was, we all wouldn't feel it was such a chore/impossibility. Positive illusions reinforcement can't hurt...? (Well, of course behind the scenes we should remain a bit realistic, of course. I'm talking here about shifting the tone a bit of the open communication.)
Those other people are wrong about new players,
but I also have to admit that getting people to sit down and play on any specific date, or to reliably play more than one game in a row has proven difficult. Let alone to experiment with their own decks (even to choose netdecks).
So, translated to Kapalan, that would be,

"getting people to sit down and play on any specific date, or to reliably play more than one game in a row, is a challenge. Especially, to have them experiment with their own decks. It may be smart to first focus them on choosing netdecks first."

That contains the same info. But sounds more positive, and instead of discouraging other people, it gives them tips and a challenge to live up to.
(Now, Fritz, you prolly know I don't mean to be condescending(??) at all; I think I see you really work hard on the game's survival.)

I just believe in the power of (even little) words to change mindsets. (Anyone seen the film Arrival? :lol: )

Also -- if people would keep playing, or play more, while a few hardcore deck builders provide them with decks -- that's not THAT bad, is it? It not how the game was meant, but to each his own, and we wouldn't be doing it all for nothing.
TBH, that's what I've been doing with half of my new players. They don't have cards and don't want to build decks (yet), but... I can remain hopeful.
And in the mean time, we can play! :D :thumbsup: :cheersL:

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote:Hi nerdo, I think we have to be realistic: I started this thread because right now the player numbers are looking like they might be down year on year and that is also the long term trajectory, despite holding steady last year.

Those other people are wrong about new players, but I also have to admit that getting people to sit down and play on any specific date, or to reliably play more than one game in a row has proven difficult. Let alone to experiment with their own decks (even to choose netdecks).
Yes, you are right, the player numbers are dwindling. But there is hope, even without Obi. But with enthusiastic fellow hobbyists who bring in something amazing. Not only them selves, but new players. I think that is a thing to celebrate, and beyond everything, people to celebrate.

Getting people down to play IS pretty hard, no doubt about it. And keeping them is even harder. Nevertheless we are in an upward swing right now, as small as it might seem. Especially with the past of the CC. There were definately bad times. Times we have to learn from and continue going forwards. The worst thing we could do now is to keep our heads low and not take any chances to improve our hobby and our community.

Take Käpälä for example. This guy is enthusiastic, a fine lad (remember a wonderful duel in Vienna) and he has something of great, great value: Optimism. We all could need more optimism after those dark times in the CC. Käpälä is THE guy I want to direct my pointy fingers at. We can all learn something positive from him, mark my words.

Cheers and have a nice one.

I get the MW 80-70....good game.

Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]