Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
In the Rulebook, no mention seems to be made of "duplicate missions" (as with 1e), and I think I see 2 duplicate missions in the game table graphic on p7. I tried to search the forum.
I would guess that mission duplication is not an issue in 2e? You cannot seed a certain unique mission twice, I guess -- but you and opponent can seed the same mission?
(I mean, otherwise there'd be a problem immediately if 2 players both play Borg -- the Borg seem to have only one [H] ... right?)

(EDIT: renamed from "Can duplicate mission always be put in play between players?", seemed slightly more clear.)
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Yes. Each player can play their own copy of a mission with the same title (titles count, not subtitles). They are treated as separate locations, so you have to spend range to go between them. For instance, if you’re playing Bajor, Terok Nor and I’m playing Bajor, Blessed of the Prophets, then you would have to spend 4 range to come to my location, even though they have the same titles.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
SudenKapala wrote:In the Rulebook, no mention seems to be made of "duplicate missions" (as with 1e), and I think I see 2 duplicate missions in the game table graphic on p7. I tried to search the forum.
I would guess that mission duplication is not an issue in 2e? You cannot seed a certain unique mission twice, I guess -- but you and opponent can seed the same mission?
(I mean, otherwise there'd be a problem immediately if 2 players both play Borg -- the Borg seem to have only one [H] ... right?)

(EDIT: renamed from "Can duplicate mission always be put in play between players?", seemed slightly more clear.)
Per the Rulebook, page 5: "If more than one player has played a copy of the same mission, they are treated as separate missions. Cards at one copy of the mission are not considered to be at any other copy of the mission."
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
Fun fact: this was not always the case. Waaaay, back in the day, people on your Earth were present with people on your opponent’s Earth. Then someone broke Deanna Troi, Ship’s Counselor.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
jadziadax8 wrote:Fun fact: this was not always the case. Waaaay, back in the day, people on your Earth were present with people on your opponent’s Earth. Then someone broke Deanna Troi, Ship’s Counselor.
I think it actually changed because of the Borg-attemptable Earth, but my recollection isn't perfect.

-crp
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
MidnightLich wrote:
jadziadax8 wrote:Fun fact: this was not always the case. Waaaay, back in the day, people on your Earth were present with people on your opponent’s Earth. Then someone broke Deanna Troi, Ship’s Counselor.
I think it actually changed because of the Borg-attemptable Earth, but my recollection isn't perfect.

-crp
IIRC, that was when the naming convention got changed. I think the rules changes regarding location duplication were earlier.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
jadziadax8 wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:

-crp
IIRC, that was when the naming convention got changed. I think the rules changes regarding location duplication were earlier.
Didn't the naming Convention change with Khan? They were based around Ceti Alpha V which couldn't be made since there was a card with that title already and they really couldn't be based on another planet.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
Yes, that's right. I still seem to remember a ruling back in the Decipher days saying that Troi at your Earth wasn't present with personnel on your opponent's Earth.

Maybe this ruling was codified into the Rulebook when Earth, Stop First Contact was designed?
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:Yes. Each player can play their own copy of a mission with the same title (titles count, not subtitles). They are treated as separate locations, so you have to spend range to go between them. For instance, if you’re playing Bajor, Terok Nor and I’m playing Bajor, Blessed of the Prophets, then you would have to spend 4 range to come to my location, even though they have the same titles.
Worth mentioning, if the two missions are in the same region, then the range is reduced by 2. For example Earth, Cradle of the Federation and Earth, Lush and Beautiful Home are both in Section 001 so the range required to go from one to the other is only 2, not 4.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:

-crp
Definitely Troi on this particular ruling.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote:Uh oh... there must be some neural transceiver problems affecting this collective’s memory.
:lol:
Must have happened when I -- Captain Hugh -- rejoined the hive to play Trek. My confusion might be contagious and affecting the whole collective now. It infected everyone... :(
Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keyword th[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]