Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
If I have Tulaberry Wine in my hand when I play Quark, Opportunistic Envoy, can I still give control of the wine to my opponent, even if I didn't download it?

I would rule yes, because of the "do as much as you can" rule. Am I right?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote:If I have Tulaberry Wine in my hand when I play Quark, Opportunistic Envoy, can I still give control of the wine to my opponent, even if I didn't download it?

I would rule yes, because of the "do as much as you can" rule. Am I right?
I'd disagree. It's download TW AND give command. The give command is directly linked to the downloaded TW, NOT some other TW you just happen to randomly have in play.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Marquetry wrote:Yes, correct. You can do A and B, but A is not a cost for B.
Would you have this ruling apply to NX-Prototype (the 'downloaded' Damage card can come from hand instead of the deck) and Iliana Ghemor (the 'downloaded' Dissidents can come from hand)?

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Armus wrote:I'd disagree. It's download TW AND give command. The give command is directly linked to the downloaded TW, NOT some other TW you just happen to randomly have in play.
I agree with Armus. Quark allows you to give command of "that event" to an opponent. "That event" is the Tulaberry Wine you downloaded, and if you didn't download Tulaberry Wine you can't complete that portion of the effect.

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
In any other card game when a card refers to ‘that’ or ‘those’ in reference to the subject of a sentence you can’t skip or replace that subject with something else - even if it is very similar. The Wine in your hand is not the specific Wine referred to because the one it refers to is downloaded by it.

I think 2E should work the same way as any other game in this regard. This isn’t doing the first part of an effect and then not being able to do the second, this is not being able to do the first and thus not being able to do the second since the first is specifically referred to in it.

Being able to ‘do all you can’ is one thing, but this is basically ‘do all you could have done, had the circumstances been significantly different and this card not be where it is’ and could have unintended consequences down the line if allowed.

Is there any chance of you reconsidering your ruling?

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
We have always played it so the card must be downloaded from the deck, and cannot come from hand. One of the reasons I always include These are the Voyages in any deck that has cards allowing downloads into play!

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]