Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
Naetor wrote:
Clerasil ToB wrote:Why was Fontaine's affiliation changed from [NA] in 1E to [Baj] in 2E giving the very strong Casualties of the Occupation deck a perfect [Baj] to use?
Omg, you're so right. [AU] for Garak too. C'mon guys...
He doesn't work for Garak either. I mean, does nobody read these cards before they decide they suck? I didn't design this card, but c'mon guys...
When you play this personnel, you may download up to two non-Artifact Hand Weapons. When this personnel is placed in your discard pile by your non-personnel card, draw two cards. (This ability may be used while this personnel is in your deck or in your hand.)
His draw-ability doesn't work with Casualties of the Occupation because his text doesn't trigger while he's in the discard pile, and it doesn't work with Elim Garak, Crafty Underling because Garak is a personnel card. So, from the point of view of each of those two cards, Fontaine might as well be V'Mor.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Prefect wrote:
Naetor wrote:
Clerasil ToB wrote:Why was Fontaine's affiliation changed from [NA] in 1E to [Baj] in 2E giving the very strong Casualties of the Occupation deck a perfect [Baj] to use?
Omg, you're so right. [AU] for Garak too. C'mon guys...
He doesn't work for Garak either. I mean, does nobody read these cards before they decide they suck? I didn't design this card, but c'mon guys...
When you play this personnel, you may download up to two non-Artifact Hand Weapons. When this personnel is placed in your discard pile by your non-personnel card, draw two cards. (This ability may be used while this personnel is in your deck or in your hand.)
His draw-ability doesn't work with Casualties of the Occupation because his text doesn't trigger while he's in the discard pile, and it doesn't work with Elim Garak, Crafty Underling because Garak is a personnel card. So, from the point of view of each of those two cards, Fontaine might as well be V'Mor.
Lol! V'mor also doesn't give you extra draw with all those Cardie self-mill. Creating this card in the current meta is so dumb.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
Naetor wrote: Creating this card in the current meta is so dumb.
Just a side note regarding Fontaine.

We designers worked hard to make sure it couldn't be broken by existing cards. Playtesters and fellow designers that weren't involved in the set brought up many of the potential issues being cited: Can I abuse Fontaine with Casualties of the Occupation or Garak? Originally he could.

The original design was to get card draws when he was placed in your discard pile or when he was placed out of play. We wanted him to work with both Racial Disdain and Psychotic Impulse. Think of that as a carrot to use those cards.

Then the bad interaction with Casualities of the Occupation was pointed out. That's why he now only works if he placed in your discard pile from play, your hand or draw deck. To prevent the abuse by using Garak, we added the limit that it must come from a non-personnel card you own.

Now Fontaine can be put into the discard pile by Psychotic Impulse (for the two card draws) and once there he can be used by Racial Disdain (no card draws). In other words, Fontaine must go down fighting and you must be the "cause" of his death to get the benefit.

Any card can be abused. If a deck like a Cardassian mill is already abusive, then that deck needs to be addressed either through errata or through other means (like a Ritual or mission(s)). We shouldn't be contained to create good cards just because some players might abuse it. Otherwise, all you're creating is bland cards. Just my thoughts.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Jono wrote:

We designers worked hard to make sure it couldn't be broken by existing cards. Playtesters and fellow designers that weren't involved in the set brought up many of the potential issues being cited: Can I abuse Fontaine with Casualties of the Occupation or Garak? Originally he could.

The original design was to get card draws when he was placed in your discard pile or when he was placed out of play. We wanted him to work with both Racial Disdain and Psychotic Impulse. Think of that as a carrot to use those cards.

Then the bad interaction with Casualities of the Occupation was pointed out. That's why he now only works if he placed in your discard pile from play, your hand or draw deck. To prevent the abuse by using Garak, we added the limit that it must come from a non-personnel card you own.

Now Fontaine can be put into the discard pile by Psychotic Impulse (for the two card draws) and once there he can be used by Racial Disdain (no card draws). In other words, Fontaine must go down fighting and you must be the "cause" of his death to get the benefit.

Any card can be abused. If a deck like a Cardassian mill is already abusive, then that deck needs to be addressed either through errata or through other means (like a Ritual or mission(s)). We shouldn't be contained to create good cards just because some players might abuse it. Otherwise, all you're creating is bland cards. Just my thoughts.
I think we have different concepts of abuse and broken. This card is neither (though maybe some of the cards it works with are).

But it is the strongest [Baj] card you can play in a Casualties deck. In addition to Casualties fuel, it's fodder for Garak, and 2 free draws when playing any of these common cards:
"Observer" from the Obsidian Order
Cardassian Protectorate
Ensnared
The Pillage of Bajor
The Central Command
The Enemy of My Enemy

I suppose I appreciate the good intentions of making some lesser played cards more playable, but it's certainly going to be the main fuel for a deck that players are clearly not happy with. I would have hoped designers would be a little more aware of this.

I have some lesser concerns that it can be splashed in any deck using Tactical Planning and the like.
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
Naetor wrote:
Jono wrote:

I think we have different concepts of abuse and broken. This card is neither (though maybe some of the cards it works with are).

But it is the strongest [Baj] card you can play in a Casualties deck. In addition to Casualties fuel, it's fodder for Garak, and 2 free draws when playing any of these common cards:
Cardassian Protectorate
Ensnared
The Pillage of Bajor
The Central Command
The Enemy of My Enemy

I suppose I appreciate the good intentions of making some lesser played cards more playable, but it's certainly going to be the main fuel for a deck that players are clearly not happy with. I would have hoped designers would be a little more aware of this.

I have some lesser concerns that it can be splashed in any deck using Tactical Planning and the like.
Cardassian Protectorate doesn't work.
Sneaky spoiler in here.
Since 25 cards are not a multiple of 9, are there any dual sided cards?

No dual sided cards; wormholes and outposts didn't feel like transferable concepts. To make up the numbers it was decided to make a couple of VP VPs. (DG)
StateofSTCCG, who is currently listed as a forum troll [unconstructive and disruptive behavior], made this post. Responding to forum trolls is discouraged.
Display this post.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
When do we get something Great in this set?

I think you’ll be impressed by what’s coming up tomorrow... (DG)

Everyone will have a different of opinion of what is “great” depending on the decks you like to play, but there are some really cool cards coming.

EDIT: I thought today’s reveal was a different card. The one I think makes the set great is coming... on Christmas Day! (DG)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Thank you for answering my earlier Jack Crusher question,

A couple of questions on todays new card Rinnak Pire.

Firstly how did choosing this specific Bajoran for Inheritance come about? What was it about him that made you go "we want this guy in this set?"

One of the things we wanted to do with this set was to have cards that helped every affiliation and try to identify decks that could be enhanced. Rinnak Pire filled that hole perfectly. The Bajoran affiliation only had four personnel who could command ships up to this point: Kasidy Yates (Xhosa), Benjamin Sisko (Baraka), Kris (Talnot), and Kira Nerys (U.S.S. Defiant and Kitra). While those ships are good, many players still use the non-unique Bajoran Scout Vessel and Vedek Assembly Transport. The problem is when those ships are used that eliminates cards requiring a Commander from being used in Bajoran decks. Rinnak thus becomes the “carrot” for players to change up some Bajoran deck types. One note about this, his ability causes him to only become the commander while he is aboard a non-unique [Baj] ship so you can’t use cards like Captain on the Bridge or How Would You Like a Trip to Romulus?.

He inclusion in Inheritance make sure that not every personnel in the set was unique. One big change from the 1E to 2E version is the inclusion of the Bajoran Resistance keyword. That was a fairly late addition but a good one. Rinnak give Resistance decks just their third non-unique personnel and first with Officer and a [Cmd] icon. He’s just the third Resistance with a [DS9] icon.

Secondly, as the first non-unique commander of a (several) non-unique ships, were there any interactions with existing or new cards which concerned you in design or playtesting? And what's the most entertaining combination you hope players will try?

There were no concerns about him in playtesting. The Bajoran ships are approximately on par with [TOS] ships for attributes and cost. If anything it might spur a Bajoran attack deck with “weenie” ships fighting together. You still need two personnel to staff the non-unique Bajoran ships so Rinnak can’t do it alone which does place a very nice natural limit on him.

The Bajoran ships have often been plagued by having a low Range (which might be why most of their adventures take place in their home system); maybe folk could use Full Throttle to go further afield?

Or Inspiring Leader

Fun fact: There was some discussion around the start of his inclusion about him having General. too, and have it worked in to his lore. Who knows? Maybe that'll be seen as a missed opportunity. If so, maybe it's something that can be worked in elsewhere... (DG)

Thanks.
All the Best,
Mattgomery Scott.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Earlier you talked about it being a design choice to give Jack Crusher [E] instead of [TNG] .

Was there any thought to give Dulmer and Lucsly [E] instead of [DS9] ?

There was a little discussion about which icons to give them but not much. They were only seen on DS9 (not Earth) so we went with that.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
MattgomeryScott wrote: A couple of questions on todays new card Rinnak Pire.

Firstly how did choosing this specific Bajoran for Inheritance come about? What was it about him that made you go "we want this guy in this set?"

One of the things we wanted to do with this set was to have cards that helped every affiliation and try to identify decks that could be enhanced. Rinnak Pire filled that hole perfectly. The Bajoran affiliation only had four personnel who could command ships up to this point: Kasidy Yates (Xhosa), Benjamin Sisko (Baraka), Kris (Talnot), and Kira Nerys (U.S.S. Defiant and Kitra). While those ships are good, many players still use the non-unique Bajoran Scout Vessel and Vedek Assembly Transport. The problem is when those ships are used that eliminates cards requiring a Commander from being used in Bajoran decks. Rinnak thus becomes the “carrot” for players to change up some Bajoran deck types. One note about this, his ability causes him to only become the commander while he is aboard a non-unique [Baj] ship so you can’t use cards like Captain on the Bridge or How Would You Like a Trip to Romulus?.

He inclusion in Inheritance make sure that not every personnel in the set was unique. One big change from the 1E to 2E version is the inclusion of the Bajoran Resistance keyword. That was a fairly late addition but a good one. Rinnak give Resistance decks just their third non-unique personnel and first with Officer and a [Cmd] icon. He’s just the third Resistance with a [DS9] icon.
Thanks for the answers again. A follow up question if I may.

If Rinak Pire is aboard a non-unique [Baj] ship, can the player then use How Would You Like A Trip To Romulus? to download another copy of that non-unique [Baj] ship? Or is he only the commander of the ship he's aboard, not the ones in the deck with the same title?

I'd rule "Yeah, if he's aboard a non-unique Bajoran ship, you could use HWYLaTtR? to download a copy of that ship." Whether that's the rule or not, I'll have to leave to people smarter than me. (DG)

Yes, is what I would rule as a TD. Of course my thought process isn’t the final say but it think in that case it works.

e.g. If he's aboard a Bajoran Interceptor, is he the commander of all Bajoran Interceptor or only that one?

Thanks.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott

By harry696
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Since all cards in the set have been revealed, will the pdf file of the 27 cards be available as a download from the Inheritance database page?

It will be, just a minor delay due to the holidays. We'll get it posted asap though - Mael

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Naetor wrote:
Jono wrote:

Cardassian Protectorate
Ensnared
The Pillage of Bajor
The Central Command
The Enemy of My Enemy

So Nate, should we give you the Prophet keyword now?

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Naetor wrote: I think we have different concepts of abuse and broken. This card is neither (though maybe some of the cards it works with are).

Cardassian Protectorate
Ensnared
The Pillage of Bajor
The Central Command
The Enemy of My Enemy

So Nate, should we give you the Prophet keyword now?
I think it's more PTSD and the inability to avoid recurring episodes. After all, I did miss the discard with Groumall, discard with Damar effect of discarding Fontaine to draw 5 cards. I suppose that's pretty good in a deck where everyone costs 1-2, has 8 attributes, can't be stopped, and can gain any number of skills on demand.

This deck needs to be nerfed into oblivion.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Naetor wrote:...discard with Damar effect of discarding Fontaine to draw 5 cards.
This one doesn’t work, because Damar is a personnel.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
GooeyChewie wrote:
Naetor wrote:...discard with Damar effect of discarding Fontaine to draw 5 cards.
This one doesn’t work, because Damar is a personnel.
I think the play is Discard a ship with Damar to draw 3, then discard Fontaine with Groumall to get the ship back and draw 2 more. Net result: Fontaine in discard pile, ship +5 cards in hand. No need to spend counters on draws.

Yeah that's not broken at all. :?
Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're right[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

HumQ: Pick of the Tribbles

It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through th[…]