Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
  • 188 posts

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
bhosp wrote:
In all seriousness and jokes about “cowards” and “#NeverHosp shills” aside, I will note that Scott’s thus-far complete either inability or unwillingness to engage with the community about why he should have the job is a very bad sign, verging toward disqualifying.
I've never had a bad thought about Scott in my life, and I'm quite in touch with my dark side. Nonetheless, the most likable guy coming back after 2 years and getting the job would seem like the status quo.

I watched interviews until 4:30 am last night, because I'm a sick pup. I saw two status quo candidates and two progressive ones. I support either of the latter.

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
KillerB wrote:
bhosp wrote:
In all seriousness and jokes about “cowards” and “#NeverHosp shills” aside, I will note that Scott’s thus-far complete either inability or unwillingness to engage with the community about why he should have the job is a very bad sign, verging toward disqualifying.
I've never had a bad thought about Scott in my life, and I'm quite in touch with my dark side. Nonetheless, the most likable guy coming back after 2 years and getting the job would seem like the status quo.

I watched interviews until 4:30 am last night, because I'm a sick pup. I saw two status quo candidates and two progressive ones. I support either of the latter.
I’m curious on your thoughts about who is who.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
nickyank wrote:
bosskamiura wrote:Can someone summarize the positions in this thread? I’m old now and don’t have a taste for the message board popcorn anymore.

TK
Summary:

Nick good
Mike bad
Ben crazy
Scott here (apparently)
:cheersL: :shifty: :

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
nickyank wrote:
I’m curious on your thoughts about who is who.
I'll do Maggie's post selection show if she allows me to moderate a discussion with any candidates (or anyone else with questions).

She not wrong about the benefits of a show post-selection, but not having a discussion before just seems like an attempt to let Charlie and the Electoral College control all debate on the matter.

By Neelix (Scott Baughman)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2024
KillerB wrote:
bhosp wrote:

Am I status quo? Or am I status quo from 2 years ago when things were arguably better - from a player engagement stand-point anyway? I assure y'all I'm more than just "here" I'm passionate about making the game great and keeping it alive. Right now, the game is on life support, and part of that reason is all the goings-on here on the message boards. I don't think there's anything productive (or progressive) to be done by engaging in rehashing more of this stuff on the message boards. I've got better things to do than try to argue over who got let go from what position and why. Also, I was only gone for 18 months and I'd really have rather been more involved with the committee at that time. But real life is important. It's much more important than this or any other game. I think the major problems of all the personality conflicts behind the scenes that spill out into almost EVERY SINGLE THREAD on this board is that too many people have lost sight of the space games should occupy in their lives. As to why I should get the job - I want the game to grow and I want the game to survive for years to come. I elaborate on this in my video about why I feel Trek CCG is a huge part of my personal relationships and how a recent loss has made it where I realize it is a huge part of many other people's relationships, too. And I want the game to thrive in the face-to-face interactions that John was talking about earlier in this thread. John you were absolutely right about that - and hey, you're often right about a lot of things. I hope my comments about Organized Play and the desire to set up a series of events to re-engage lapsed players are enough to show y'all that I'm serious about how this game CAN be about relationships and spending time with those who are important to you just as much as it can be about spaceships and planets. We just need to all work together to "realign the warp coils" as it were and right the ship by focusing not on past mistakes or grievances and focusing on having FUN with it again. That's what I'm here to do as 2E's "top guy" and "morale officer" which - should I get the job - is more what I have in mind just like my message board namesake.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Neelix wrote:
KillerB wrote:
bhosp wrote:

Am I status quo? Or am I status quo from 2 years ago when things were arguably better - from a player engagement stand-point anyway? I assure y'all I'm more than just "here" I'm passionate about making the game great and keeping it alive. Right now, the game is on life support, and part of that reason is all the goings-on here on the message boards. I don't think there's anything productive (or progressive) to be done by engaging in rehashing more of this stuff on the message boards. I've got better things to do than try to argue over who got let go from what position and why. Also, I was only gone for 18 months and I'd really have rather been more involved with the committee at that time. But real life is important. It's much more important than this or any other game. I think the major problems of all the personality conflicts behind the scenes that spill out into almost EVERY SINGLE THREAD on this board is that too many people have lost sight of the space games should occupy in their lives. As to why I should get the job - I want the game to grow and I want the game to survive for years to come. I elaborate on this in my video about why I feel Trek CCG is a huge part of my personal relationships and how a recent loss has made it where I realize it is a huge part of many other people's relationships, too. And I want the game to thrive in the face-to-face interactions that John was talking about earlier in this thread. John you were absolutely right about that - and hey, you're often right about a lot of things. I hope my comments about Organized Play and the desire to set up a series of events to re-engage lapsed players are enough to show y'all that I'm serious about how this game CAN be about relationships and spending time with those who are important to you just as much as it can be about spaceships and planets. We just need to all work together to "realign the warp coils" as it were and right the ship by focusing not on past mistakes or grievances and focusing on having FUN with it again. That's what I'm here to do as 2E's "top guy" and "morale officer" which - should I get the job - is more what I have in mind just like my message board namesake.
Tyrion: there is no conversation that will erase the last 40 years
Scott: what *my* theory presupposes...

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Delenn: "We are all slaves to our histories. If there is to be a .. bright future, we must learn to break those chains."

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
:thumbsup:

I'd add, to some of those complaining about a general negativity on these forums...

The Prophets to Sisko: "You bring us here. You exist here."

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
If status quo means fostering an environment in which volunteers who work hard and well feel valued and secure then I am status quo.

If it means establishing a production workflow that improves the likelihood of timely set releases, then I am status quo.

If it means encouraging designers to be creative and unencumbered by arbitrarily small set limits, then I am status quo.

If it means encouraging and maintaining a collaborative relationship between testers and designers, then I am status quo.

And, if it means communicating regularly and effectively with players, then I am status quo.

If it means doing everything I know how to do to win back the confidence of Second Edition players, then I am status quo.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
The Prefect wrote:If status quo means fostering an environment in which volunteers who work hard and well feel valued and secure then I am status quo.

If it means establishing a production workflow that improves the likelihood of timely set releases, then I am status quo.

If it means encouraging designers to be creative and unencumbered by arbitrarily small set limits, then I am status quo.

If it means encouraging and maintaining a collaborative relationship between testers and designers, then I am status quo.

And, if it means communicating regularly and effectively with players, then I am status quo.

If it means doing everything I know how to do to win back the confidence of Second Edition players, then I am status quo.
lol none of those things are status quo that’s why we need a new guy in the first place

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
bhosp wrote:
The Prefect wrote:If status quo means fostering an environment in which volunteers who work hard and well feel valued and secure then I am status quo.

lol none of those things are status quo that’s why we need a new guy in the first place
Then I'm not status quo after all. Somebody tell John. :wink: Or, maybe he meant two other candidates...

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
Neelix wrote:

I Got better things to do than try to argue over who got let go from what position and why.
You made some good points after this, it's shame you started with a paragraph disparaging (proper use of the word) the complaints some of us have. Even using the usual 'Corbett is just mad he got fired' trope. Shit man, that was almost as long ago as you left the game. Sorry for exaggerating 18 months into 2 years.

Win, lose or draw my man, I hope one day you and Nathan make the trip to Texas.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:
Neelix wrote:

I Got better things to do than try to argue over who got let go from what position and why.
You made some good points after this, it's shame you started with a paragraph disparaging (proper use of the word) the complaints some of us have. Even using the usual 'Corbett is just mad he got fired' trope. Shit man, that was almost as long ago as you left the game. Sorry for exaggerating 18 months into 2 years.

I, too, hope our group can come to Texas someday soon!

And I was talking about Ross getting let go from the position at hand - not you getting let go from your position. I don't think you're still mad about that.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Neelix wrote:
KillerB wrote:
Neelix wrote:

I, too, hope our group can come to Texas someday soon!

And I was talking about Ross getting let go from the position at hand - not you getting let go from your position. I don't think you're still mad about that.
Fact check: Ross chose to resign his position.

There is rampant speculation that he would not have survived a PoR vote. From what I can tell, when he was advised of that likelihood, he pulled a Nixon and resigned in the face of presumably overwhelming opposition.

Personally, I think he did the right thing and short-circuited what could have been an ugly PoR and animosity-filled voting season, but never forget that that was his choice to make, and my making the choice he did, he allowed the community to move forward easier and sooner. To do otherwise devalues his action.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
KillerB wrote:
Latok wrote: What open forum then?
By forum I means any space, not the Forums. Bad choice in words. I means whatever video conference platform the CC uses.

Zoom cost money. I'll pay the CCs yearly bill to have a Bajoran Jalada Forum where people can talk freely about how they feel about 2E.
Yeah I was hoping you had something better than a video call, there's not a lot that is less 'open forum' than that.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]