Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
  • 122 posts

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Dear fellow enthusiasts,

when I have to appoint a leader to a section of business or hobby, I find it very important to know how his "staff" will react to this individual. After all they will have to work under his "unforgiving lash". And I feel I should have an open ear to those who imho definately should be asked for their opinion.

So I would like to give you, ladies and gentlemen who will work with the new director, the opportunity to give me some feedback on the candidates. If you don´t want to answer my questions, please feel free to ignore them. Those who would like to give me some feedback, here are my questions:
  • 1. What is your position which puts you under the 2E director´s influence?

2. Give me some good experiences you had with each of the four candidates.

3. Give me some bad experiences you had with each of the four candidates.

4. Which candidate would you prefer to be your boss / which candidates would be ok as your boss / which candidate don´t you want to be your boss under any circumstances?

Of course this Q&A can cause problems if they leak, so here is the deal:
  • A) Feel free to answer me per PM.

B) Anything you write is for my eyes only and I will never publish it or talk about it in any way.

C) I will not reveal which impact it had on my decision, so nobody can blame anyone but me personally.
This is a chance to speek up freely without fearing any bad repercussions. I hope it is appreciated. If it is, I´m glad to be of assistance. And if not, please don´t feel obliged to answer. This is an opportunity I tend to give to employees and hobbyists every time I have to give somebody a leadership role.

This offer of mine might cause some shitstorm descending on my head, but its ok. I´m doing this for the community, not for my ego ! ! ! So, if you feel the urge, let it rain!

Thank you for your time.

Cheers

Nerdo

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
I have no problem with anyone replying to this about me on a public forum. If people have a problem with me (and I know some do) then others should know the good things and bad things.

I have a thick skin, so it won't bother me.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
nickyank wrote:I have no problem with anyone replying to this about me on a public forum. If people have a problem with me (and I know some do) then others should know the good things and bad things.

I have a thick skin, so it won't bother me.
Thank you for you being so open minded, Nick. Including bad AND good things for me is standard procedure in such decisions.

By Neelix (Scott Baughman)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2024
Ah dang it, I lost my "unforgiving lash" YEARS ago when I got divorced from my first wife -- I KNEW I should've saved it for something...

But seriously, this is an interesting idea for feedback. I hope something useful comes out of it and while I agree with Nick that openness is a good thing - I think there's a time and place for some confidentiality as well. Otherwise, this could turn into a big public discussion of "so-and-so STINKS!" and there's no good results of public bash-fests in a volunteer/hobby community like this one.

Bon Chance, Nerdo.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
I think it's fair game to get the opinion of volunteers on the candidates and their proposals.

I'm curious though why this wasn't posted in the Staff forum? You'd get volunteer feedback just as well.

Here or there, I welcome volunteer feedback. :cheersL:

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
The Prefect wrote:I think it's fair game to get the opinion of volunteers on the candidates and their proposals.

I'm curious though why this wasn't posted in the Staff forum? You'd get volunteer feedback just as well.

The Staff forum is closed to a lot of people, including me, whereas everyone can see this. And I would hope that any discussions are on public forums, I don't think discussing the applications on a forum that only certain applicants can see (you and Ben, don't know about Scott) would be fair.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I don´t have access to the staff forum.

But please feel free to copy and paste my first post in my name. :wink:

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Prefect wrote:I think it's fair game to get the opinion of volunteers on the candidates and their proposals.

Besides some past squabbles between us, your insistence on towing the company line and preference to back forum dealings is by far your biggest turn-off for me. Maybe that scores you points with leadership on the selection committee, who doesn't appear to want the 50 remaining 2e players playing a 15-year dead game to have much of a say. But eventually you're going to have to appeal to the rest of us, or rule over the ashes.

You've seemingly been willing to engage with the public as this process has, at least on appearances, been more open. That's a good thing. Whoever gets selected, I hope they recognize that.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Oh there’s more than 50, but they just aren’t willing to visit this site, or are turned off by past CC leadership.

TK

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
bosskamiura wrote:Oh there’s more than 50, but they just aren’t willing to visit this site, or are turned off by past CC leadership.

TK
You'd think that being upset by past CC leadership would be a really good reason to conne participate in the discussion about... the next 2e Leader.

But that's just me....
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
bosskamiura wrote:Oh there’s more than 50, but they just aren’t willing to visit this site, or are turned off by past CC leadership.

TK
You'd think that being upset by past CC leadership would be a really good reason to conne participate in the discussion about... the next 2e Leader.

But that's just me....
Well it could be me, but if they’re not coming to the site - how would they know and more importantly, why would they care?

TK

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
bosskamiura wrote:
Armus wrote:

TK

But that's just me....
Well it could be me, but if they’re not coming to the site - how would they know and more importantly, why would they care?

TK
Weren't you just over in the other thread saying how three of the four director candidates were engaging over there in the Dojo?

Do the Dojo-ites know and care about this or not? Can't have it both ways.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
nickyank wrote: The Staff forum is closed to a lot of people, including me, whereas everyone can see this. And I would hope that any discussions are on public forums, I don't think discussing the applications on a forum that only certain applicants can see (you and Ben, don't know about Scott) would be fair.
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:I don´t have access to the staff forum.

But please feel free to copy and paste my first post in my name. :wink:
Sorry. I didn't realize so many involved in this process didn't have access. I am certainly not trying to exclude any of you. I just thought since the expressed purpose of this post was to get feedback from volunteers specifically, the forum for them was a logical place to put this. I have no objection to it being posted here.
Naetor wrote: Besides some past squabbles between us, your insistence on towing the company line and preference to back forum dealings is by far your biggest turn-off for me. Maybe that scores you points with leadership on the selection committee, who doesn't appear to want the 50 remaining 2e players playing a 15-year dead game to have much of a say. But eventually you're going to have to appeal to the rest of us, or rule over the ashes.

You've seemingly been willing to engage with the public as this process has, at least on appearances, been more open. That's a good thing. Whoever gets selected, I hope they recognize that.
Regarding squabbles - it's true I've disagreed with you in the past on any number of issues, but I never took those disagreements personally. I hope you didn't either.

Regarding company line and back forum dealings - this is probably a pretty good example of where a lot of our disagreements stem from. I think if you asked the CC leadership, they'd probably tell you I'm not shy at all in disagreeing with them when I think they're wrong. I just don't do it on these public forums because I find it usually unhelpful to put people on the spot needlessly if I am actually trying to to work with them accomplish something. That doesn't make me a "company man". I also don't think seeing the benefit of conducting certain forum business away from the public forums - playtesting, designinc non-WTC cards, or deliberating errata are all examples - qualifies as "back forum dealings". Not everything is nefarious.

Regarding appealing to the rest of us - you're right, the next 2e Director is going to have to engage with everyone. I'll continue to so as I always have. My goals are to do everything I can to be accountable and accessible, to make sure that we're putting out a quality product on a reliable schedule, and to communicate effectively and well with players and volunteers alike. I hope if I am successful in these efforts that this will appeal to anyone on these forums.
Mogor wrote:What views do the candidates have on the teams in 2E department and what the roles of the team are
I am not sure I understand this question, and I want to answer it. Can you elaborate? Are you asking how we feel about the performance of certain volunteers? Or, how we feel about how the production process is organized? Or, how we perceive what their mandates should be? Or all of the above? Something else?
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
The Prefect wrote:I think if you asked the CC leadership, they'd probably tell you I'm not shy at all in disagreeing with them when I think they're wrong. I just don't do it on these public forums because I find it usually unhelpful to put people on the spot needlessly if I am actually trying to to work with them accomplish something.
I haven't decided if I'm going to say a lot about the candidates, but I will say this about Mike Shea:

I have never experienced Mike Shea as Nate portrayed him in an earlier post as insisting on "towing the company line" and preferring "back forum dealings." That's not the Mike I know and have dealt with. (and we've had our share of squabbles too!) I've always found Mike to be fair, considered, and honest.

That said, I can fully appreciate Nate has a different take on Mike. This is the thread to share those takes.

I just wanted to share my experience interacting and working with Mike. And please note - I am not "CC Leadership". Just a guy sharing an opinion like everyone else.
How can we Interact with a Stopped Ship?

(I personally file "2E did it" in the[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

It wasn’t deemed important at the time.

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]