Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
As an Online player who physically can't travel around to play 2E and loves this game, I'm inclined to find that half theory very questionable.

The only thing Online gets that Physical games don't is larger decks and piles (on a fairly rare basis), and typically only the latter is capable of causing issues imo. :twocents:

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
Gorgo Primus wrote:As an Online player who physically can't travel around to play 2E and loves this game, I'm inclined to find that half theory very questionable.
Unlike most, I can fully admit when I have a shit idea. Either way, I don't begrudge any online player. I'm about that nerd life. Online won't be for me until there's a interface easy enough for my ape brain to navigate.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:I have half a theory that people's negative opinion on the state of 2E is enhanced by the amount of online play they participate in, and people's positive opinion of the state of 2E is enhanced by the amount they travel to play 2E.
Well, online is more cutthroat overall, so you're often experiencing the best decks people can make.

The state of 2e isn't bad. It's just had no one on the wheel for the past ~year, and the interesting stuff that's emerged is just getting overwhelmed by the other stuff. In the current meta, I see no reason not to play Cardassians, infinite battle, or double/triple attribute reduction -- I don't think these decks would lose, except to one another or the counter decks. Let's move on please.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
Naetor wrote:
Well, online is more cutthroat overall, so you're often experiencing the best decks people can make.

I'm aware. I have to listen to Sykes bitch every time MVB big rats an online local.

As for an 'overall meta', it's never perfectly balanced. That's what good players do, find an edge and push it as far as they can. After the rifle, casualties and Life-Changing get 'taxed' players will find new things.

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
KillerB wrote:
Naetor wrote:

I'm aware. I have to listen to Sykes bitch every time MVB big rats an online local.

As for an 'overall meta', it's never perfectly balanced. That's what good players do, find an edge and push it as far as they can. After the rifle, casualties and Life-Changing get 'taxed' players will find new things.
Well, he either does it to Sykes, or to me... which would you pick? ;)

I agree kill piles aren't the worse thing for game length, and that the dilemmas-not-going-under is a much bigger time drain. If you attempt a mission 3 times and have 1 under, that's going to take a while.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Hmmmm... You could fix infinite thought maker by restricting the definition of "drawn". Only use it when your opponent has actually drawn. If they draw zero, that's not drawing.

Easy, no errata necessary!

That would change a few other things but I don't think the game would be made worse by not having uninvited show up when the maths says you're expecting zero.

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote:Hmmmm... You could fix infinite thought maker by restricting the definition of "drawn". Only use it when your opponent has actually drawn. If they draw zero, that's not drawing.

That would change a few other things but I don't think the game would be made worse by not having uninvited show up when the maths says you're expecting zero.
I've suggested this very thing before, and I'm glad I'm not the only one to hold the opinion that when a card tells you to do X with "those cards" that you've drawn (or however its worded), you should have to actually have said cards from that action. The way things work now don't make intuitive sense and keeps the door open to all sorts of nonsense.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Fritzinger wrote:Hmmmm... You could fix infinite thought maker by restricting the definition of "drawn". Only use it when your opponent has actually drawn. If they draw zero, that's not drawing.

Drawing zero cards still being considered drawing cards seems like a very 1e problem. What's it doing in 2e?
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
JeBuS wrote:

Drawing zero cards still being considered drawing cards seems like a very 1e problem. What's it doing in 2e?
Wait until you hear about the null card type.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
Fritzinger wrote:
JeBuS wrote:

Wait until you hear about the null card type.
You think that's bad? Try explaining to a new player that if I put a couple copies of Chimeric Diversion and Delirium in my core, I will never reach a point where I'm not drawing and spending 4 on dilemmas each turn at his 35 point mission, no matter how many dilemmas are overcome.
Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]

I know that, when this was ruled, it was intended[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]