Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
IQ542 wrote:Designers don't want to make new cards unless it introduces new mechanics into the game. People offer up suggestions and then it's don't turn 2E into 1E or 1.5E. :shifty:
That's the ever-moving goal post my friend. And, it's frustrating as hell.

Regarding new affiliations in 2e, it sometimes feels like we've been told:
  • 1. A new affiliation must do something new and innovative;
    2. A new affiliation must be amazing;
    3. A new affiliation can only innovate in ways already part of standard 2e play.
The problem with that of course is three-fold:
  • 1. "New and innovative" is in the eye of the beholder;
    2. Ideas aren't generally held to the "it must be amazing" bar in any other area of design - they have to be good but "amazing" is a much higher bar to meet;
    3. If the affiliation isn't "innovative enough" then it's something that can be done within existing mechanics and by existing affiliations, but if it's "too innovative" then it's "turning 2e into 1e" and this makes the target for "amazing" really tiny.
With such constraining and subjective limitations, there's always a reason for those who don't want a new affiliation in 2e to reject any ideas for a new affiliation on any or all of the above grounds.

Bottom-line: for designers to deliver a new affiliation under any circumstances, it's going to require support from the top; designers (not to mention Art and Creative) interested in putting forth the effort; an open-minded atmosphere; a fair degree of creative liberty; the room to work (set-size wise); and, dare I say it, permission to fail. I'm cautiously optimistic that current 2e leadership is creating just such an environment. Time will tell. Of course, that's no guarantee that we'll get a new affiliation. But, I think we've got a better opportunity now than we have in a while.
Last edited by The Prefect on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
Armus wrote:
KillerB wrote:#stopmaking2Einto1E
Says the guy who gave us [KCA] and forced a change to the "Can't do that in 2e" achievement... :wink:
This only goes to show you that once someone in a position of authority has decided they are open to something happening, it can happen. We're only ever held back by the limitations we place on ourselves.
Last edited by The Prefect on Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
IQ542 wrote:Designers don't want to make new cards unless it introduces new mechanics into the game. People offer up suggestions and then it's don't turn 2E into 1E or 1.5E. :shifty:
Bro, you show me 5 designers and I'll show you 5 opinions on what 'designers want'. That's a feature, not a bug.

Full disclosure, I'm no longer a designer. My opinions are irrelevant. They have been for well over 6 months (I tried to tell Mr. Shea there was no reason to take me serious), but now it's official.

I'm fairly out, someone is fairly in. Let's see who's the better for it.

I guess we should have done "What can we do[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]