Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Balance Manager
 - Second Edition Balance Manager
 -  
  Trek Masters  Participant 2024
If you are going to pull a 1E and create all new cards for a [Vul] affliation then you need not read any further.
There are 15 different [Fed] Vulcans between [DS9] , [E] and [TNG]. There are 11 [NA] Vulcans and 3 [SF] according to the card search engine. You could create a Vulcan [H] where they all could play (may or may not include [SF] ). There might be a Mindmeld [Int] that could let them, if present with a opponent's personnel, look at an opponent's hand OR through their deck. They already have the Katric Arc artifact. Another [Int] "Logical Beings" that could allow them to make random selections their choice. Since Spock is Vulcan/Human I would not let him play at a Vulcan [H] . So you would need a way to get him into play OR create a Spock card that could play at Vulcan ( can never have enough Spock cards!). Of course we need a Vulcan Nerve Pinch card to stun someone when a battle begins to give you an advantage in combat. A Pan Far or Amok Time event that lets them do something : combat, increased attribute(s) at a mission, affect their opponent"s attributes etc.
These are thoughts. Please feel free to contribute and expound upon any of these or list original ideas of your own! We are trying to give some designer an idea or a basis to build on. I only start this because I think it could be fun for the game and add another layer of diversity! What think you!?!? :twocents: :cheersL:

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
What would make the Vulcan [H] different from one of the Earths where you can already play most of the [Fed] vulcans and all of the [NA] vulcans?
If it's just so you can play a couple more vulcans there, I'd just make a couple more vulcans instead of a new [H] . You'd have to do so anyway cuz there's huge skill gaps among the existing vulcans.

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I mean, those are some nice dream card ideas, but I don't see how those need or lead to an entirely new HQ myself. I'm all for additional Vulcans though.
But I'm not in the CC or Design...

Also for what it's worth this isn't really what I'd consider bottom up at all. This is starting from the premise of "let's make Vulcans have their own HQ" and then going "so we need to come up with these big concepts and mechanics that I don't have yet to fit them". To me to be bottom up would be going from a series of premises and conclusions based around new mechanical or conceptual ideas we can't fit anywhere else like (random example) "I think it'd open up interesting play and design space if having Vulcans could allow you to mentally implant suggestions and so 'take command of someone's personal, but only for a turn', but I don't want all the Federation to be able to do it cause it'd cause balance issues" that leads to "and so we need a Vulcan HQ".
 -  
Gorgo I like it. That is what we need! Good solid ideas to come out to inspire designers to design!! If we do not get a Vulcan [H] we may at least inspire some cool Vulcan ideas and concepts! Please keep the ideas coming ! Healthy conversation and debate is only going to lead to a better game for everyone!! You guys rock! Keep rocking!! :cheersL:

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Yep, I'm glad you took my post the way I intended Durg. :) If we end up coming up with a bunch of cool ideas and we find they'd work better with an HQ, let's ask for one. If not, we get a bunch of cool ideas put forwards that help advance the game.

As some constructive input into one of the ideas of your OP I'll say I feel like just looking at the opponent's hand/deck is too Romulan - that's a thing they do all the time in 2E. Vulcans are more of the Federation mindset - they like to share. And given that when you mind meld it's been shown to be a two way process in many cases anyways, I'd tweak that particular suggestion in the OP and say whatever the card(s) are that represent that for Vulcans makes all players share their info when it happens.
 -  
I agree with that completely. If you are "mind melding'' maybe both players playing with hands face up for a turn!? OR if "Mind Meld" were an event any time there was a download you downloaded 2 different .cards and your opponent choose one for you to put into hand and the other shuffled back into your deck. If Design chose to make a [Vul] affiliation maybe they would not be so [Fed] . There was some shadiness going on in Enterprise! :cheersL:
StateofSTCCG, who is currently listed as a forum troll [unconstructive and disruptive behavior], made this post. Responding to forum trolls is discouraged.
Display this post.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I really enjoy how they play in 1E. I don't care much about OTF format but they are fun and i'm sure CC's 2E gang can come up with something unique and be fun! :cross:
 -  
Creating a [Vul] [H] with all new "affiliated" cards could be the way to go. Let the cards we have now stand as they are and begin anew. That would open up an entire new vein of Vulcans! 1E has all the [Pa] [Vul] images that could be cultivated, not to mention new [Vul] versions of our favorite 2E Vulcans made to fit their new HQ! Exploring new and different game play for them is important!! Let's hear it :cheersL:

By IQ542 (Matt S)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Mind meld could be an interesting mechanic. In the show, the mind meld could be used for good or bad (i.e. forcibly obtaining knowledge). Spock melded with Valeris to take information. Sybok seemed to use a version of it in Star Trek V to brainwash people by taking away their pain. Conversely, Sarek needed to meld with Picard to regain a sense of balance/ stability during negotiations. If design ever created Vulcans for 2E, I would side with durg and want them to be less [Fed] . For example, a player could leave a Vulcan on a planet mission and mind meld with an opponent's personnel to obtain information or have that personnel lose skills for the mission attempt. Also, design could create something dealing with the Vulcan katra. A Vulcan could be killed during a mission attempt or in combat, but the katra (i.e. skills/ abilities) of the Vulcan could be carried by another until the end of the turn. The possibilities are endless...... :D

By IQ542 (Matt S)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Designers don't want to make new cards unless it introduces new mechanics into the game. People offer up suggestions and then it's don't turn 2E into 1E or 1.5E. :shifty:
 -  
That can not be completely true Matt. Design is constantly re-making cards. We get cards all the time (granted they are mostly personnel) with the same cost, same skill collection, same attributes etc. When a game has survived as long as BOTH these games have it is something that is going to occur. I, like Keith and Nate, do not have a problem with a solid universal ( or unique) personnel that is a "worker bee" and does not have some special ability. I DO NOT want this game to be 1E because we already have that game. I DO NOT want to bury my head in the sand and pretend [Voy] and it's other affiliations do not exist because anyone did not like them either! I am asking for ideas! Game Ideas. Mechanics. Things to spur the imaginations of design so that we might get affiliations that I happen to like into THIS game. I know you and I are on the same page about this so I am again asking for constructive ides from our community!! Let us keep this game growing!! I did not like every single episode of TOS. It is still Star Trek and part of what makes this game so unique. If you did not like [Voy] I understand. We should still try to find a positive way we can make it work :twocents: :cheersL:
Deck Design Strategy

I agree with @stressedoutatumc . The way I like[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]

The deck qualifies, but the tournament currently[…]

Yes your 5-three cost and 1-five cost were r[…]