Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Djas Puhr
 -  
Hey guys,

I played very casual 1E way back in the day. I wanted to now try 2E with my son (he's 16) and will be teaching him as we go along as this new generation won't read a rule book to save their lives. I read the rulebook (up to the glossary), and got the 2 call to arms decks. Is that a good place to start? Or should I get the other starters? Do those starter decks play well against each other? How about the 2 Call to Arms decks head to head?

Is there a document with rulings on specific cards for 2E?

Thanks!
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Welcome!

I highly recommend watching edgeofhearing's Learn to Play videos. He also made a set of eight beginner decks that work really well against each other and can be easily modded to take to a tournament, if you're so inclined.

In the meantime, where are you located? There may be a group of players local to you.

By willraiman (Will Raiman)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Greetings, Djas! 3rd-best Dark Side character in SWCCG Premiere, IIRC.

I'll second what Maggie said, and just add that, if you have the Dominion starter and the Borg starter, my recollection is that the Borg starter will win that matchup 4 times out of 5. So, if you want to trick the kid into liking the game by letting him win without making it look like you're letting him win, give him the Borg. ;)

Glad to have you back, hope you enjoy yourself. If you have more questions, don't be afraid to ask.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
2E Sector 001 Regional Champion 2023
Yes, welcome to the community!

I would also add that actual Decipher product is getting rarer and more expensive. So, it may interest you to know that all cards from this website are printable for your own personal use and this website also has a deckbuilder that allows you to create your own decks and then print them in PDF format for ease of printing.

And, to echo what Maggie and Will have said, please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything or have any questions.

By willraiman (Will Raiman)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Mysteriously, no one has ever begun 1E. No one is sure where all the current players came from...one day they were just all there, and they already knew how to play.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
Djas Puhr wrote:Thanks for the help guys, will check it out. Are there similar beginner decks for 1E?
You could find some here, I believe.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
willraiman wrote:Mysteriously, no one has ever begun 1E. No one is sure where all the current players came from...one day they were just all there, and they already knew how to play.
The legends say that the 1E games are without beginning and without end. They simply... are.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
Boffo97 wrote:
willraiman wrote:Mysteriously, no one has ever begun 1E. No one is sure where all the current players came from...one day they were just all there, and they already knew how to play.
The legends say that the 1E games are without beginning and without end. They simply... are.
My great grandfather used to tell me stories about the Makers and how they buried the secret history of the origins of 1E under the Great Tree of Dreams that grows by the Lake of Nowhere. But those were just stories. :shifty:
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Prefect wrote:
Boffo97 wrote:
My great grandfather used to tell me stories about the Makers and how they buried the secret history of the origins of 1E under the Great Tree of Dreams that grows by the Lake of Nowhere. But those were just stories. :shifty:
:lol:
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Prefect wrote:
Djas Puhr wrote:Thanks for the help guys, will check it out. Are there similar beginner decks for 1E?
You could find some here, I believe.
I would recommend using the Coming of Age starters for First Edition. They are very well balanced against each other and fun to play.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I just ran a kid friendly beginner event yesterday.

We used Coming of Age starters modified for The Squire's Rules. All of the deck lists are attached.

It was a lot of fun and only one game went to time. The seed phase only took about 5 minutes - which was GREAT!

Feel free to print these out and give them a try. They're a lot of fun and reasonably well balanced against each other.

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]