Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Djas Puhr
 -  
Hello folks, very new 2e player here. I am a little confused with HQs and Deck Construction/play. I believe from what I have read that your cards can all mix freely once in play. My questions revolve more regarding how do I get certain cards into play. I know 1E seeds all kinds of doorways to allow this sort of mixing stuff, but I know we don't have that in 2E. To that end, I have lots of questions.

1) When making a deck, should I generally only include personnel with icons/affiliations that my HQ says I can play? If a personnel in my deck is not playable at my HQ, then I cannot really play that personnel right? I am speaking generally here, not cards that "cheat" cards into play.

2) Can past, alternate, and future cards be freely played as long as their affiliation is allowed by my HQ?

3) Can Starfleet and Federation cards freely mix? Is there an HQ that allows this, if not?

4) I have an HQ Wormhole from the Sisko starter that allows me to play Bajoran and DS9 Icon folks. And I also have an Earth mission from the Picard Starter that allows me to play TNG and Earth Icon cards. But I still have no idea how to get Maquis, ToS, Terrok Nor, or Voyager icons into play. Are there specific HQs for those?

5) Is there a list somewhere of all the HQ missions and what affiliations and icons they allow to be played?

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
Djas Puhr wrote:Hello folks, very new 2e player here. I am a little confused with HQs and Deck Construction/play. I believe from what I have read that your cards can all mix freely once in play. My questions revolve more regarding how do I get certain cards into play. I know 1E seeds all kinds of doorways to allow this sort of mixing stuff, but I know we don't have that in 2E. To that end, I have lots of questions.
Again, welcome!
Djas Puhr wrote: 1) When making a deck, should I generally only include personnel with icons/affiliations that my HQ says I can play? If a personnel in my deck is not playable at my HQ, then I cannot really play that personnel right? I am speaking generally here, not cards that "cheat" cards into play.

As a general rule, yes. For example, if you are playing Bajor, Blessed of the Prophets you would want to only include [Baj] cards and equipment in your deck unless you have ways of getting non- [Baj] cards into play.
Djas Puhr wrote: 2) Can past, alternate, and future cards be freely played as long as their affiliation is allowed by my HQ?

Again, generally speaking, yes.
Djas Puhr wrote: 3) Can Starfleet and Federation cards freely mix? Is there an HQ that allows this, if not?

So, there is no rule that says they can't mix. In 2e, any affiliations or factions can mix with any other as long as you can get them together in play. That being said, because you cannot command two unique cards with the same title, you could not have two Earth HQs in play with any of the current options. You could, if you really wanted to, build a deck using Mouth of the Wormhole, Deep Space 9 and Earth, Humanity's Home and then mix your [DS9] [Fed] personnel and your [SF] personnel.
Djas Puhr wrote: 4) I have an HQ Wormhole from the Sisko starter that allows me to play Bajoran and DS9 Icon folks. And I also have an Earth mission from the Picard Starter that allows me to play TNG and Earth Icon cards. But I still have no idea how to get Maquis, ToS, Terrok Nor, or Voyager icons into play. Are there specific HQs for those?
Yes, there are HQs for those. Currently, here is a list of HQs in 2e. The text on each will tell you want you can play at each.

Djas Puhr wrote: 5) Is there a list somewhere of all the HQ missions and what affiliations and icons they allow to be played?
See link above. The card search function on the website is often very helpful.

Hope this helps.

:cheersL:
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
Not showing as HQ missions but you can kind of report there are
Ceti Alpha V & To Rule in Hell
Caretaker's Array & U.S.S. Voyager or U.S.S. Equinox
Prevent Historical Disruption & U.S.S. Relativity

There are some others for Commander with Archaeology or Think Tank (and single reports like Diplomat)

https://www.trekcc.org/affilhq/index.php shows most used cards for each HQ (or alike).

By Djas Puhr
 -  
Thanks guys. I didn't see any Voyager Icon HQ, but I do see the ship, finding our way and Caretaker's Array combo. Can I simply deploy guys with Voyager icon based on their affiliation at an HQ that allows that affiliation?

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
Caretaker's Array with Finding Our Way allows you to play U.S.S. Voyager, Home Away From Home which then acts as a sort of moving HQ. This is the only way to play most of those cards. There are exceptions. For example, Tabor, Apoplectic Bajoran can play to Bajor, Gift of the Prophets or Bajor, Blessed of the Prophets because neither of those HQs care about faction icons, only affiliations.
Last edited by The Prefect on Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Djas Puhr wrote:Thanks guys. I didn't see any Voyager Icon HQ, but I do see the ship, finding our way and Caretaker's Array combo. Can I simply deploy guys with Voyager icon based on their affiliation at an HQ that allows that affiliation?
You cannot play [Voy] icon personnel to any headquarter missions because there are no HQs that allow them to be played. You may only use the U.S.S. Voyager or U.S.S. Equinox to report personnel with the [Voy] icon.

By Djas Puhr
 -  
Ah, I thought, Earth, Home of Starfleet Command, let you deploy any [Fed] personnel, but based on the above, now I think it only lets you deploy [Fed] Personnel who also have [DS9] , is that correct?

So based on The Prefect's answer above (Second post) I get that you can play past and future without restrictions, but I do see that there's an HQ for certain [AU] personnel (Bajor, Terok Nor). Does that mean that you cannot play [AU] personnel to any other HQ but Bajor, Terok Nor?

I guess I will set out to try to obtain copies of all these HQs in case I want to build decks around those factions. I prefer physical copies to the printed ones. Is there a term for that? lol.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Djas Puhr wrote:Ah, I thought, Earth, Home of Starfleet Command, let you deploy any [Fed] personnel, but based on the above, now I think it only lets you deploy [Fed] Personnel who also have [DS9] , is that correct?
Yes, the [Fed] [DS9] portion refers to cards* which are both [Fed] and have the [DS9] icon. Cards with the [E] icon can play** there regardless of their affiliation, and [NA] cards regardless of what other icons they have.

*I says "cards" instead of "personnel" because it also includes ships.
**It's play rather than deploy in this game, but as a former Star Wars CCG player I approve the term deploy!
Djas Puhr wrote:So based on The Prefect's answer above (Second post) I get that you can play past and future without restrictions, but I do see that there's an HQ for certain [AU] personnel (Bajor, Terok Nor). Does that mean that you cannot play [AU] personnel to any other HQ but Bajor, Terok Nor?
The [AU] icon does not prevent you from playing cards, as long as something allows you to play the card. For example, you can play James T. Kirk (Brutal Barbarian) at Earth, Lush and Beautiful Home because he is a [TOS] card, regardless of the fact that he is also an [AU] card. Bajor (Terok Nor) was created so you can play a Klingon-Cardassian Alliance deck without needing Bajor (Gift of the Prophets), Cardassia Prime (Hardscrabble World), Qo'noS (Heart of the Empire) and Ferenginar (Financial Hub) all in the same deck (which isn't legal anyway; you can't have more than three headquarters).

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
There are juste a few rules; read them. The rest is written on the cards. Just do what the cards tell you.

When a Card says you can do xy you can do xy regardless of the rules.

When a Card (HQ) says you can play [Kli] cards, it can be any [Kli] card.
When a Card (HQ) says you can play [Fed] [TOS] cards, it can be any card with at least these two icons. Additionoal icons are irrelevant for that card.

So, you can play James T. Kirk, Original Thinker
on
Earth, Cradle of the Federation because he has the [E] Symbol
Earth, Home of Starfleet Command because he has the [E] Symbol
Earth, Lush and Beautiful Home because he has the [TOS] Symbol
or on your U.S.S. Enterprise, Where She Belongs (or another version of her) when you have got Captain on the Bridge in play
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Djas Puhr wrote:I guess I will set out to try to obtain copies of all these HQs in case I want to build decks around those factions. I prefer physical copies to the printed ones. Is there a term for that? lol.
The term you’re looking for is “traditional.”

It’s getting very difficult to find physical product any more. I have oodles of commons and uncommons I can send you. Send me a PM if you’re interested.
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

HumQ: Pick of the Tribbles

It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through th[…]

I guess we should have done "What can we […]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to another one of my homies, @seve[…]