Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

What number of lines of text do you think makes a card "good"?

0 lines
11%
1 line
4%
2 lines
30%
3 lines
7%
As much as you can put on that bad boy!
48%

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
"Judge a card not by the number of its lines, but by the content of its text."
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I tend to agree with Chris here. The game has a wording convention. Sometimes many words are necessary to get across a simple idea. (Admittedly, sometimes the idea is not that simple.)

My preference is probably 3 or 4 lines, but if I need more, that's what the doctor ordered. If you don't like when you don't get lore, there are a couple more cards here that might bother you. Be prepared.

By sandy
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Line of text are great if they add fun. If it's adding complexity or a mechanic that is needlessly clunky, then it's just an exercise in design masturbation.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Guardian wrote:I tend to agree with Chris here. The game has a wording convention. Sometimes many words are necessary to get across a simple idea. (Admittedly, sometimes the idea is not that simple.)

My preference is probably 3 or 4 lines, but if I need more, that's what the doctor ordered. If you don't like when you don't get lore, there are a couple more cards here that might bother you. Be prepared.
You don't make the card then.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Naetor wrote:You don't make the card then.
What are your thoughts on cards with more than one function that end up running beyond 4 lines? (e.g. Stunning Reversal) (Apologies if you've already mentioned this elsewhere - I'm far too lazy to trawl the archives.)

Would it be better to make two cards (one of 4 lines, and one of 1 line) that achieved the same ends, but also took up two card slots?

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
pschrader wrote:I like walls of text, how about you?
Personally, I think what a card does can make it good, not how many words it runs to.

Wall of text: Miracle Working - wordy af, but it's pretty popular (Currently #5 in the Top 10 draw cards in the Affiliation HQ)
Example of brevity: Drai, First Hunter - only three lines, but Bueller?, Bueller?, anyone? (Not a single play since his release 10 months ago.)

(Also, not a dig at Drai - he was the first example I found when clicking the Random Card button.)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I personally think that this discussion is based off the wrong question: Rather than „how many lines of text“ it would better be about „what level of complexity“ makes a good card.

Complex cards might require more text but are potentially more interesting to play for experienced players. Less experienced players might prefer to play with less complex cards that tend to have fewer lines of text.

It might be worth to remind everyone about 1E design that could only fit short text on most card type templates. Several of those cards were easily to be misunderstood and caused a negative play experience rather than being „good cards“ just because they had only three lines of text.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
If it's intuitive, I don't mind multiple lines of text, but there should be a balance with 'simple' cards and more complex cards (not for the sake of complexity, but because it adds to the gameplay).

Although I like to see new personnel with fancy abilities, we once in a while can use some plain and decent skill-horses without text as well.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
JaglomShrek wrote:I personally think that this discussion is based off the wrong question: Rather than „how many lines of text“ it would better be about „what level of complexity“ makes a good card.

Complex cards might require more text but are potentially more interesting to play for experienced players. Less experienced players might prefer to play with less complex cards that tend to have fewer lines of text.

It might be worth to remind everyone about 1E design that could only fit short text on most card type templates. Several of those cards were easily to be misunderstood and caused a negative play experience rather than being „good cards“ just because they had only three lines of text.
This! :thumbsup:
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
I have found this set to be very much a curate's egg.
The Memenda though 3+ lines of text I find elegant of design and simple to understand.
DivisivePatron on the other hand at 6 lines of text I feel is a card that is the opposite. Yet another keyword and I particularly don't like the fact that I have to remember to refer to a card at one mission whilst the attempt is taking place at a completely different mission, particularly as that card may be upside down to me as well.
But that's just my personal opinion.
StateofSTCCG, who is currently listed as a forum troll [unconstructive and disruptive behavior], made this post. Responding to forum trolls is discouraged.
Display this post.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
OOF!

That new 2E keyword is too much...
Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]