Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
If I'm playing Borg and have the mission Na'kuhl Prime, Fight for Dominance, can I use Expand the Collective to solve it? If so, can I then use another copy of Expand the Collective on the flip side, Alternate 1944 Earth to solve that as well? In other words, which text takes precedence, the Alternate 1944 Earth mission or the event?

Also curious, if I do solve Na'kuhl Prime with EtC, and flip the mission, what happens to EtC if I don't destroy it?

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
T-Ricks wrote: Also curious, if I do solve Na'kuhl Prime with EtC, and flip the mission, what happens to EtC if I don't destroy it?
It is mandatory: "When you complete it, destroy this event to score 5 points." You have to do it.
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Enabran wrote:
T-Ricks wrote: Also curious, if I do solve Na'kuhl Prime with EtC, and flip the mission, what happens to EtC if I don't destroy it?
It is mandatory: "When you complete it, destroy this event to score 5 points." You have to do it.
Oops, I didn't catch that part. Thanks.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
"Can't" > "Can" so ETC doesn't work on the flip sides of the temporal missions.

As I understand it, this type of interaction (also, Mendak) was a challenge during the design process, and the Rules folks assisted with this wording to basically mean "no, really, you can't attempt the mission when it's on this side"

Also, I'm not sure you can even attempt a completed mission to begin with... flipping the mission doesn't "un-complete" (for lack of a better term) it....
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
I was told, if you have Alternate 1944 Earth and play Favor the Bold and then Expand the Collective on it, you still can't attempt it.
"No personnel may attempt this mission." trumps "You may attempt and complete it using your [Bor] personnel with these requirements: [P] - Anthropology, Biology, Security, Transporters, and Strength>32"

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fix the problems at hand before get some new crazy unspelling thingys which cause more problems than solutions. Instead of gaining new kinky mechnics you should've focused on things at hand. This stuff cries to be broken.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Caretaker's Guest wrote:Fix the problems at hand before get some new crazy unspelling thingys which cause more problems than solutions. Instead of gaining new kinky mechnics you should've focused on things at hand. This stuff cries to be broken.
Not sure what I like more: unspelling thingys or kinky mechanics.

By Cmdr Xym (Joseph Bazemore)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Naetor wrote:
Caretaker's Guest wrote:Fix the problems at hand before get some new crazy unspelling thingys which cause more problems than solutions. Instead of gaining new kinky mechnics you should've focused on things at hand. This stuff cries to be broken.
Not sure what I like more: unspelling thingys or kinky mechanics.
And there's the title of my next deck.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
T-Ricks wrote:If I'm playing Borg and have the mission Na'kuhl Prime, Fight for Dominance, can I use Expand the Collective to solve it? If so, can I then use another copy of Expand the Collective on the flip side, Alternate 1944 Earth to solve that as well? In other words, which text takes precedence, the Alternate 1944 Earth mission or the event?

Also curious, if I do solve Na'kuhl Prime with EtC, and flip the mission, what happens to EtC if I don't destroy it?
You, you could use Expand the Collective to attempt and complete Na'kuhl Prime, since it is an [AQ] mission worth 35 or fewer points.

You could play another copy of Expand the Collective on Alternate 1944 Earth, but Armus is correct that it would not allow you to attempt the mission, even if you did use Favor the Bold to make it incomplete.
The rulebook, page 16 wrote:cannot / may not – Game text which specifically forbids an action cannot
be overridden except by game text which specified what forbidding text
is being overridden.
Gametext would need to specifically override the "No personnel may attempt this mission" text to allow you to attempt it.

If you had an event that didn't destroy itself when you complete the mission, it would simply stay on the mission, as per the rules developed to accommodate Luna / Mars in the A Less Perfect Union release article.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Macht euch nur lustig. Ich kann auch anders. In meiner Muttersprache. Ambulance... Krankenwagen :) . Pen... Kugelschreiber :) Butterfly... Schmetterling :). Pinky... rosafarbend... Kinky... ungeschickt...

But to stay on topic: Is it not an alarming signal that two cards just released need new wording or clarifications. I am just concerned. Introducing a new keyword just seems so... desperate.

The last time I remember messing up with stuff was SF-Luna-Nazis. A disaster... Broken all around. Just let not that happen again.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
GooeyChewie wrote:
The rulebook, page 16 wrote:cannot / may not – Game text which specifically forbids an action cannot
be overridden except by game text which specified what forbidding text
is being overridden.
Gametext would need to specifically override the "No personnel may attempt this mission" text to allow you to attempt it.

If you had an event that didn't destroy itself when you complete the mission, it would simply stay on the mission, as per the rules developed to accommodate Luna / Mars in the A Less Perfect Union release article.
Does this mean a card would have to actually read something like "Ignore the "No personnel may attempt this mission" text on this mission", or something more general like "Your personnel can attempt..." (as can>may)?
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Danny wrote:Does this mean a card would have to actually read something like "Ignore the "No personnel may attempt this mission" text on this mission", or something more general like "Your personnel can attempt..." (as can>may)?
Probably?

Sorry.

Probably.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Danny wrote:Does this mean a card would have to actually read something like "Ignore the "No personnel may attempt this mission" text on this mission", or something more general like "Your personnel can attempt..." (as can>may)?
You would have to have text which specifically says something along the lines of “your personnel may attempt this mission regardless of effects which say personnel cannot attempt this mission,” similar to For the Cause or Javert.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation