Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I think the spirit of the game is more important than the theory.

If you look at the premiere set, the spirit is a mechanically clean game with simple cards that interact with one another (eg personnel vs dilemmas) to create variance that makes each game unique, all centered in the Star Trek universe. Implicitly, games end with a winner.

When I have an issue with a card, it's usually because it runs counter to this spirit one way or another.

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
Naetor wrote:I think the spirit of the game is more important than the theory.

If you look at the premiere set, the spirit is a mechanically clean game with simple cards that interact with one another (eg personnel vs dilemmas) to create variance that makes each game unique, all centered in the Star Trek universe. Implicitly, games end with a winner.

When I have an issue with a card, it's usually because it runs counter to this spirit one way or another.
Completely agree.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor

You're not wrong, but I'm old enough to remember 2003 as the age of SoliTrek... everyone was driving speed dragsters, and there were no meaningful speedbumps to throw in front of them. That got boring pretty quick.

Maybe things have moved too far in the other direction, but let's not pretend OG Trek was a utopia... far from it.

By Neelix (Scott Baughman)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2024
BeastNbrews wrote:My statement was not necessarily my problem, ive done a fair bit mtg brewing so I can get the frameworks of decks together. I was just writing a few thoughts I had after reading a number of the posts about the 2e community not getting along or having a similar vision.

I think fundamentally in any format new players need to feel its not to overwhelming or secretive to brew, that also includes having some new cards every few sets to try out old brews or new brews. I think that is a key component to keeping a game fresh and helping new players out.

This has been a great convo!
It certainly has! You make some great points and it's great to see a new voice in the discussion forums. Thank you for chiming in!

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:

You're not wrong, but I'm old enough to remember 2003 as the age of SoliTrek... everyone was driving speed dragsters, and there were no meaningful speedbumps to throw in front of them. That got boring pretty quick.

Maybe things have moved too far in the other direction, but let's not pretend OG Trek was a utopia... far from it.
Utopia = no place

Whatever modern 2e utopia is, I don't think anyone would like it. It would probably involve dilemma ratios and meaningful choices. Less reading, more playing is all I'm asking.

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BeastNbrews wrote:I'm playing mostly with my friends at the moment, and I have not played more than a handful.

And if I look into the top decks their are lots of affliations their, now I dont know how many of those players are new players or relatively new players, i was mostly going by the last few sets i looked through didnt seem to have many different affiliations in them, which i think is a hard thing to balance as a game designer. As I put more time in my views might change, I am just reminded how mtg doesn't let things stay the same for to long. Great discussion going on!
Having some buddies to play with is always a great start. All the fresh ideas and nasty shenanigans, hehehe.

MTG is constantly changing, thats right. Always some new keywords and stuff, lets see what Zendikar Rising has up its sleeve.

Most of the lists here are made by players enjoying the hobby for a long time. Here and there you will find some old home brews, but then again, when a new set comes up its either an upgrade of existing decks or a completely new brew.

Which affiliations have actually cought your eyes? My favourites are always fluff wise, not neccessarily top tier lists.

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]