Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Is one really ever gone though? I have downloaded Lackey, did the plug ins and have messed around on it a bit... was wanting to see if I can get someone to run a few test games with me and get me back into the swing of the game... I still have the basics down but would like a game or 2 so I don’t look like a fool on Lackey lol....

As far as comms go, what is the preferred method? Discord, zoom, Skype?

Thanks in advance ....

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Discord is preferred by most(?) people, though some still refuse to move on from Skype for whatever reason. I'd make sure you have both if you wanted to do online tournaments.

The two main Discord servers are the Dojo (kind of the huge unofficial discord for this) and the CC (the much smaller official one). The invites for both of these can be found in my forum signature.

If you wanted to get a pick up/learning game for 2E you're best bet if probably to ask in the Dojo, but I'm happy to arrange a time for you over PM here if you'd like. Anytime after 2pm EST other than a Tuesday works for me.

Welcome back to 2E!

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Welcome (back).

The CC Discord link in Gorgo's sig seems not to work.

For me, the reason so far was that I've had Skype for ages; works fine mostly, and I am reluctant to add accounts, credentials, and apps to my already cluttered life, if I can help it.

So, does one best sign up for both Discords? Or doesn't it matter, if you'd mainly do it for Lackey? (I guess that's SudenSpeak for, "How's Discord work?")

PS: Fritz, great avatar. :thumbsup:

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fixed the link. It was accidentally set for single use only. Thanks for letting me know.

Discord’s servers are kind of like irc servers. You can have multiple opened and signed in at once. If you have an account you can just click both links and become members of both. IRC crossed with a website forum crossed with teamspeak is the best way I could describe it I guess. Best to just try it and see yourself or look up pictures of it to get a real idea of how it works though. It’s pretty intuitive. Unlike Skype it isn’t an ancient program that hogs computer resources and doesn’t become worse/drop features every single year.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Gorgo Primus wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:38 am Fixed the link. It was accidentally set for single use only. Thanks for letting me know.

Discord’s servers are kind of like irc servers. You can have multiple opened and signed in at once. If you have an account you can just click both links and become members of both. IRC crossed with a website forum crossed with teamspeak is the best way I could describe it I guess. Best to just try it and see yourself or look up pictures of it to get a real idea of how it works though. It’s pretty intuitive. Unlike Skype it isn’t an ancient program that hogs computer resources and doesn’t become worse/drop features every single year.
Agreed with Discord being superior to Skype, I still have skype technically but I haven't used it in years, its a dinosaur of a program now

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Yes, thanks for all the info. I haven't used IRC either, but between (A) just trying out my new account and (B) what you wrote, I understand enough of the basics. :thumbsup:

On some of my very much obsolete equipment, I have trouble installing a client or running the web version. But at least on my cheap tablet, it works better than Skype. :cheersL:

Edit: for future ref, and/or other interested parties, here's what I found about Discord vs. archaeology:
https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsxp/comm ... indows_xp/
https://msfn.org/board/topic/178035-dis ... indows-xp/
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177992-web ... nt-1157044
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]