Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Cmdr Xym (Joseph Bazemore)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
T-Ricks wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:36 am As the other player that had the four Security skills, in the TD's and my defense, the card does not specify that "all" the skills are needed, just "the" skills. In other words, the unselected personnel did have "the" skills of the selected personnel.
My hot take...

I read "the skills" as meaning the same things as "all the skills".

Let's say I have a personnel with these printed skills: •Honor •Officer •2 Security...how many skills do they have? They have four: Honor, Officer, Security, Security. (Not three skills...skill dots do not equal skills). The two instances of Security are two separate skills. Saying "2 Security" is just game shorthand. Quantity-wise, "2 Security" is the same number of skills as their "Honor and Officer".

If I ask, what are "their skills", their skills are Honor, Officer, Security, Security.

If a dilemma has me check to see if another personnel has the skills on this personnel, they must also have those four skills.

You never check for "levels" of a skill unless a card specifically says so. Losing a "level" of a skill is the same thing as losing "a" skill. In the case of the example personnel above, if they had to lose "a" Security they would only lose 1 "level" of Security...in other words, one copy of their Security skill.

Since More of Gravy doesn't specify "levels" or "different skills", all of the skills on all of the selected personnel are counted together by default.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I rarely venture into the message boards anymore. I think this is just the fourth or fifth time since the start of 2020.

I want to explain why I ruled the way I did about More Gravy Than of Grave and why there needs to be a big clarification added to the rulebook if “all the skills” is the same thing as “all levels of all skills.”

Under Skills in IMPORTANT GAME TERMS section of the rulebook page 9 it states:
“Some personnel excel at certain skills, and have a number showing that they have 2 or more “levels” of that skill. Some cards allow personnel to gain skills. New skills that are gained are not
“listed skills”. If a personnel gains a skill he or she already has, it increases his or her level of that skill.”

So therefore, in 2E there are currently the following 23 skills:
[SD] Acquisition
[SD] Anthropology
[SD] Archaeology
[SD] Astrometrics
[SD] Biology
[SD] Diplomacy
[SD] Engineer
[SD] Exobiology
[SD] Geology
[SD] Honor
[SD] Intelligence
[SD] Law
[SD] Leadership
[SD] Medical
[SD] Navigation
[SD] Officer
[SD] Physics
[SD] Programming
[SD] Science
[SD] Security
[SD] Telepathy
[SD] Transporters
[SD] Treachery

I think we can all agree upon that.

Now, based on the ruling in this thread, if one of the selected personnel has Leadership x3 (say Kai Opaka) and no other personnel selected has any Leadership, the unselected personnel would still need three Leadership to overcome the dilemma.

But doesn’t that go against the rulebook page 19 under skills in the GLOSSARY section?
skills – Whenever “all skills” are added to or subtracted from a card, all levels of those skills are added or subtracted.”

In this case the word “all” is specifically in quotation marks meaning that word must be used on a card for the rule to apply.

More Gravy Than of Grave does not use the word “all” … just the “skills on the selected personnel.” And it should be noted “all skills” also means “all levels.”

If we want More Gravy Than of Grave to mean all levels than there needs to be a Current Ruling made or there needs to be errata for the card so it reads:

Randomly select three personnel. Unless your unselected personnel have all the skills on the selected personnel, the selected personnel are stopped.

Broken Captive would also need the same errata.
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Marquetry wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:34 pm It has never worked that way - would having the skills to complete a mission mean you only needed one level instead of 2 Treachery, for example?

The few cards that only need one level of a skill specifically reference that.
This argument seems to make sense. However, in the Rulebook under Checking Mission Requirements, it specifically says "If your personnel have all the required skills, and their attribute total is higher than the specified total, you have successfully completed the mission." (emphasis mine)

So it's not exactly an equal comparison for this scenario.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]