Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Okay. This is a dumb one, but I was brainstorming an idea for a deck. What would happen if I played Target of Opportunity and chose an opponent's personnel I already commanded? Normally, I would execute aspects of the card that I could and ignore the rest. I would place the personnel on my ship, but I wouldn't take command of them.

So, who does? My opponent? Nobody? Is it a neutral, uncontrolled personnel in 2E?

Games are fun.
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
:twocents:

You shouldn't play the card as you can't command two unique personnel with the same card title. Since you can't command them, you just lost five points putting their instance of the unique personnel on your ship but you don't command them, your opponent does.

Michael

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Ninja Scot wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:52 pm You shouldn't play the card as you can't command two unique personnel with the same card title. Since you can't command them, you just lost five points putting their instance of the unique personnel on your ship but you don't command them, your opponent does.
If that's the case, couldn't you then target them for Combat or assassination or any number of other nasty things that require an opponent's personnel to be present with your personnel?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
flrazor wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:16 pm
The Ninja Scot wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:52 pm You shouldn't play the card as you can't command two unique personnel with the same card title. Since you can't command them, you just lost five points putting their instance of the unique personnel on your ship but you don't command them, your opponent does.
If that's the case, couldn't you then target them for Combat or assassination or any number of other nasty things that require an opponent's personnel to be present with your personnel?
Sure.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I was kind of caught off-guard by the parenthetical, but yes, there are plenty of cards that "place" a personnel into play that don't have the "(You/Your opponent) now command(s) this personnel." text. I didn't really put it together in the Rulebook at first, but under IMPORTANT GAME TERMS: "Command and Owner: You command each card you have in play." And in the glossary, play and place "When you “place” a card somewhere in play..." implying that placing a card puts it in play. Thus, if the card's command isn't transferred to another player, the commander would by default be its owner.
flrazor wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:16 pm
That was indeed how it came up in my searching. I was wondering if there was a method to do what I used to be able to do with Skalaar and a captured personnel I owned that I had given to my opponent (like Bashir Founder or Ezri Tigan): put an opponent's personnel on my ship where they couldn't get them back. This one definitely would take far more strenuous methods, specifically taking command of their unique personnel (or having my own) and then trying to do it again with another copy using Target of Opportunity. Probably too much effort, but now Michael has seen it, so who knows?

I love weird edge cases.
Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]