Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
I'll get to work replacing 2x Hard Time in the beginner decks!

I've avoided The Weak Will Perish because you need to explain to the beginner that, yeah, it goes to your core but no, that's not relevant right now, nor will it be in this game we're playing now. Dal'rok has a different problem - I've seen experienced players routinely forget that it works differently vs. no-HQ decks,* so I've been reluctant to hand it over to beginners. Ingenious Jury-Rig takes some skill tracking to use, since Transporters is (still) a rarer skill.

I'll probably end up using 1x TWWP and 1x Dal'rok.

*Just like I will certainly forget about Hard Time's new icon if I ever try to use it post-errata.
I went to bump this post to see if I can get more HT replacement suggestions, but every thread is locked.

Anyways, looking for suggestions for beginner-friendly replacements.

Ideally, they’ll hit some number of these points:
-Don’t take much tracking
-Parse easily
-Are good
-Don’t go under

Right now I’m looking at TWWP and Dal’Rok, but:
-They favor the Dominion deck and any possible future Voyager deck
-TWWP parses weirdly to a new player, and Dalrok is one that works the same way in 90% of games, but then in the other 10% it’s either insane or blank.

Still, hard to see what beats them for general use.
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Maybe Adopted Authority? Can't guarantee that it won't go under but it'll stop at least one.

Michael
 -  
Community Contributor
The Ninja Scot wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:41 pm Maybe Adopted Authority? Can't guarantee that it won't go under but it'll stop at least one.

Michael
There's already one in the beginner decks, but I could go up to two. That is one that's generally good against both Dominion and Voyager. Thanks!
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I like Ominous Presence as a good [D] dilemma. It can be a super cheap two-stop. Remembering number of species might be a bit too much tracking, but it’s not too hard is you’re playing against Klingons or similar.

In that vein, what about A Bad Case of par'Mach?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
 -  
Community Contributor
T-Ricks wrote:Rejecting the Past isn't too complicated and can work for any deck.
I'll need to keep any eye on typical discard pile size in the beginner deck games; this is a card I don't think about much, but (except in the Cardassian deck) it might be pretty good.
jadziadax8 wrote:I like Ominous Presence as a good [D] dilemma. It can be a super cheap two-stop. Remembering number of species might be a bit too much tracking, but it’s not too hard is you’re playing against Klingons or similar.

In that vein, what about A Bad Case of par'Mach?
Ominious Presence would unfortunately be rough on the two weakest of the beginner decks, Klingon and Borg. par'Mach is at least kind to the Klingons, but it's not quite impactful enough in general. The beginner decks already have a lot of mid-cost multi-stop dilemmas, and that one won't really stand out from them.
Naetor wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:24 pm Polywater Intoxication
Occupational Hazards
Honorable Pursuit
Healing Hand
Mugato
Pest Control
I think Polywater is probably the answer. It's a powerful dilemma, with a somewhat similar function to HT, that isn't currently in the beginner decks. Well, it's in one deck (the TNG deck) since it's one of those dilemmas newbies need to know about, but generates many many newbie questions ("Does it count if I have fewer than 6 personnel now that I'm facing it?"). Worse, I find that newbies often read the 6 personnel requirement for the cost reduction, see that they're picking dilemmas for a crew of 9, and just don't use it.

But, it's probably time to just bite the bullet and put it in all the decks, and draw mine first so I can explain how it works.

Honorable/Healing are already in the decks, and kinda underperform. Mugato, Pest Control, and Occupational Hazards all take too much skill tracking for the brand newbie.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation