Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
Expanding on my dilemma POV, and definitely speaking in general terms here:

Scenario 1. I attempt space with 9 personnel. My opponent draws 9 dilemmas. Looks them over. Sighs. Places 4 immediately back under their pile.

Scenario 2. I attempt space with 9 personnel. My opponent draws 9 dilemmas. Looks them over. Stays calm i.e. has a decent poker face. Only puts thier unused dilemmas back under the pile once the stack has been placed.

I can learn something from Scenario 1. And very little from Scenario 2.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:48 pm I disagree with Johnny here. I'm fairly certain risk of playing [P] @ [S] > informational advantage my opponent gets. But then again, I suck at this game.
I'm the crazy guy who shuffles his hand when playing spades, so I'm not terribly concerned about grabbing the wrong dilemma. That said, I reserve the 'don't give them any information' playstyle for Regionals and above. At locals, especially against newer players, I'll straight up tell my opponent that I drew duplicates or cross-type dilemmas.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
GooeyChewie wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:51 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:48 pm I disagree with Johnny here. I'm fairly certain risk of playing [P] @ [S] > informational advantage my opponent gets. But then again, I suck at this game.
I'm the crazy guy who shuffles his hand when playing spades, so I'm not terribly concerned about grabbing the wrong dilemma. That said, I reserve the 'don't give them any information' playstyle for Regionals and above. At locals, especially against newer players, I'll straight up tell my opponent that I drew duplicates or cross-type dilemmas.
Who... who do you play spades with?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
edgeofhearing wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:33 pm
GooeyChewie wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:51 pm
Who... who do you play spades with?
It's a good thing the game doesn't require a partner. I shudder to think about playing bridge with him. :o
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
GooeyChewie wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:51 pm At locals, especially against newer players, I'll straight up tell my opponent that I drew duplicates or cross-type dilemmas.
Amen. Know your opponent, know the stakes, have fun. Live by the Platinum Rule.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
edgeofhearing wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:33 pmWho... who do you play spades with?
jadziadax8 wrote:]It's a good thing the game doesn't require a partner. I shudder to think about playing bridge with him. :o
Oh, I’ve always played spades with a partner. Admittedly, it’s been a long time since I’ve had an in-person game. My sister and her husband refuse to play against me and Dad because really became a contest of how far we could throw them in the negative before we won.

Edit: Some of that success came from watching from where in their hands my sister and her husband pulled cards to identify their strong and weak suits. So yeah, if you play against me at Regionals or above assume I am watching how you handle cards.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
GooeyChewie wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:01 pm
edgeofhearing wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:33 pmWho... who do you play spades with?
jadziadax8 wrote:]It's a good thing the game doesn't require a partner. I shudder to think about playing bridge with him. :o
Oh, I’ve always played spades with a partner. Admittedly, it’s been a long time since I’ve had an in-person game. My sister and her husband refuse to play against me and Dad because really became a contest of how far we could throw them in the negative before we won.
Spades local legend here...

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:59 pmIt had completely skipped my mind to look for abilities that discard as a cost as a way around Dead Ringer.
This is what I came here to share as well. Kevin used it to great effect during his Worlds run in 2008 using Argo Pilot Picard to discard during dilemmas (which you can do even if you don't have an Escape to retrieve, i.e. do as much as you can) to counter Caretaker's Guests or anything else that cared about something being in there that was still in hand.

For me, I once fully Decayed a Security Drills in one shot in order to get past a Dead Ringer just like you described. It was definitely a late game move that I wouldn't have done the same way on an earlier attempt, but it got the job done.

I strongly agree with Nathan and Johnny about getting out early, and not to worry about WNOHGB. You still have the next turn to play more personnel and other support and then you can come back even stronger. In cases where the mission you got pulled from has a high enough span that you can't go home and come back on the same turn, being dropped off at home to get more people takes just as much time as skipping an attempt and turn to regroup if you don't have a second ship to go back or high enough range. You never know what mistakes your opponent might make where you'd get a mission out of an early attempt all because of one ability or skill they missed.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
flrazor wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:32 pm For me, I once fully Decayed a Security Drills in one shot in order to get past a Dead Ringer just like you described. It was definitely a late game move that I wouldn't have done the same way on an earlier attempt, but it got the job done.
That one works to get around Dragon's Teeth too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also, watch out when Kurn, Exchange Officer is in play. He's tricksy!

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:54 pmAlso, watch out when Kurn, Exchange Officer is in play. He's tricksy!
And he's a "while" trigger...

*random discard*
...not that one, better gain another skill...
*random discard*
...there it is.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
eberlems wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:49 pm 1. Read cards
2. see 1
3. see 1
4. Remember cards
This reminds me of how often I've attempted a mission without the skills when my opponent knows that they killed the last of the skill the previous turn and I didn't play any more this turn. Me, I've forgotten the previous turn the moment it's over.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation