Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Playing a game against a good opponent is often the best teacher. What tricks have you been surprised by and then incorporated in to your own playbook?

I'll get the ball rolling. Against Ashbey in an online game, at my second space mission, he played a ton of dilemmas. None of them stopped me (which he knew would happen) but a bunch of them were space dilemmas which he knew he didn't want in his dilemma pile, because I only needed a planet mission to win.

What you got?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Most of what comes to mind right now is good dilemmas to use in my pile. There are a ton of dilemmas I wouldn't have given a second look to, but turn out to be really good. The one that comes to mind right now is putting Once More Unto the Breach into an engagement deck, which I got from @monty42.

I feel like I learned how useful Arena and Hippocratic Oath can be in a deck that does combat or capture from @Naetor or @Latok.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
One of the first tricks I learned from another player: Forgot how much you have to spend on dilemmas? Under normal circumstances, re-count the number of dilemmas you drew.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
GooeyChewie wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:07 pm One of the first tricks I learned from another player: Forgot how much you have to spend on dilemmas? Under normal circumstances, re-count the number of dilemmas you drew.
Ha ha, that's great!

I've got another one:

Against Ken in Oz 2015 worlds he kept stopping me with only one under using Dead Ringer and Greasy Dukat. Aside: can't believe that dilemma is a skill dilemma. Anyway, after the game he pointed out that I had pre-errata William Telfer in play who could discard people from hand to fetch an interrupt. It had completely skipped my mind to look for abilities that discard as a cost as a way around Dead Ringer.

It didn't matter in our second game though :/.
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
1E American National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Fritzinger wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:59 pm
GooeyChewie wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:07 pm One of the first tricks I learned from another player: Forgot how much you have to spend on dilemmas? Under normal circumstances, re-count the number of dilemmas you drew.
Ha ha, that's great!

I've got another one:

Against Ken in Oz 2015 worlds he kept stopping me with only one under using Dead Ringer and Greasy Dukat. Aside: can't believe that dilemma is a skill dilemma. Anyway, after the game he pointed out that I had pre-errata William Telfer in play who could discard people from hand to fetch an interrupt. It had completely skipped my mind to look for abilities that discard as a cost as a way around Dead Ringer.

It didn't matter in our second game though :/.
That's because he kept getting nailed by that same trick...

:shifty:

Michael,
knower of random things of joy
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
This may or may not classify as a "trick," but this is something I've learned from in-game experience.

In my 2E experience I've concluded that putting the pressure on an opponent and attempting a mission a turn early is way more advantageous than attempting a mission a turn late. Sure, ideally you want the crew to be perfect attempting a mission. But it rarely is.

Fortune favors the bold.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
jjh wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:51 pm This may or may not classify as a "trick," but this is something I've learned from in-game experience.

In my 2E experience I've concluded that putting the pressure on an opponent and attempting a mission a turn early is way more advantageous than attempting a mission a turn late. Sure, ideally you want the crew to be perfect attempting a mission. But it rarely is.

Fortune favors the bold.
This is a mistake that people make in both editions. In 1E it also forces your opponent to make bad moves and run into dilemmas they are not ready for. Having a crew that can force the game to accelerate opens up lots of game space.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
jjh wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:51 pm This may or may not classify as a "trick," but this is something I've learned from in-game experience.

Fortune favors the bold.
Trick or not, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

I almost always just go with whatever I have as early as possible, but it hasn't been that intentional.

At the same time I'm always scared that my 6 random jem'hadar can't pass wnohgb.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Fritzinger wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:35 am At the same time I'm always scared that my 6 random jem'hadar can't pass wnohgb.
My take on that is, if your six Jem'hadar cannot pass WNOHGB, then your nine Jem'hadar likely cannot pass filter + WNOHGB. And attempting earlier gets your opponent's WNOHGB out of their dilemma pile earlier.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
GooeyChewie wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:08 am My take on that is, if your six Jem'hadar cannot pass WNOHGB, then your nine Jem'hadar likely cannot pass filter + WNOHGB. And attempting earlier gets your opponent's WNOHGB out of their dilemma pile earlier.
Good point! You'd rather have the six stopped than the nine.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Going with the more general theme of "gameplay stuff I do":

I like to reduce cognitive complexity by removing irrelevant dilemmas in the first glance through what I've drawn.

Take duplicates, take space or planet only dilemmas that aren't relevant, take Timescape if they don't have another crew they could attempt with, Insurrection if they're not playing insurrectional missions, etc. and immediately stick them on the bottom of my dilemma pile. That way I only have to think about what's actually relevant.
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
Dilemmas. Hold them, don't stick them under. Don't let the opponent know what you drew - every bit of info helps your opponent. Just hold them, and let your eyes disregard them.

Let your opponent think your dilemma pile has no bad draws, you could have played anything you drew! You've got The Best Dilemma Pile.

Keep the mental pressure on Fitz!
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Fritzinger wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:26 pm
jjh wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:09 pm Keep the mental pressure on Fitz!
Gah, I've been doing it wrong! Not only have I been losing out on the mental edge, I never thought that I could gain something by observing which dilemmas my opponent puts under 😂
I disagree with Johnny here. I'm fairly certain risk of playing [P] @ [S] > informational advantage my opponent gets. But then again, I suck at this game.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]