Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Note: I'll be away from the space-time continuum next week. As such, I will post the Wednesday question on Sunday.

It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through the week. Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

First Edition just got a new expansion. Actually, it is a remaster of the Official Tournament Sealed Deck. Old cards get a spiffy new upgrade along with some gametext.

The closest comparison we have is Dangerous Missions. With those, you got a fixed set of cards, but it was one of three fixed sets. Each was themed around a Trek story; Riker, Picard and Kirk from Generations, Sisko, Kira and Dax from the Homecoming/Circle/Siege second season premiere or Archer, Tucker and T'Pol from Enterprise's Surak arc.

You had four sealed packs of cards and did a draft where you picked a card, passed them down and continued until all the cards were gone.

This week, tell me what packs are you hoping for? Your choices are Premiere, Energize, Call To Arms, Reflections 2.0, Strange New Worlds or To Boldly Go. Be sure to let us know why.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I keep getting sidetracked on this question by how shitty a format Dangerous Missions draft was. I mean, the premium cards are all jacked up for the format (the fixed personnel can’t do the missions they come with) and the packs were from To Boldly Go, which really only supports the Starfleet set.

If I got the Bajoran (which everyone wanted for the Vedek Assembly Transport) or TNG packs, I’d probably wish for the Second Edition or Ref 2.0 packs. Those would have the most probable amount of support for the format.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:22 pm I keep getting sidetracked on this question by how shitty a format Dangerous Missions draft was. I mean, the premium cards are all jacked up for the format (the fixed personnel can’t do the missions they come with) and the packs were from To Boldly Go, which really only supports the Starfleet set.

If I got the Bajoran (which everyone wanted for the Vedek Assembly Transport) or TNG packs, I’d probably wish for the Second Edition or Ref 2.0 packs. Those would have the most probable amount of support for the format.
I only did DM Draft a couple of times, and I agree it wasn't perfect, but it was hardly unplayable.

The biggest flaw I saw was the lack of missions. The fact that a TD had to bring a stack of missions to have at the ready is egregious. That shouldn't happen.

The best part was the "place a card of affiliation X under your HQ mission and let them report there" .... that introduced actual draft strategy and made it interesting.

If I were designing something from scratch, I'd make an OTSD-style set that included a generic HQ and 4 solvable missions so there's a playable start. I'd also add a few dilemmas (3 [D] , 1 [P] , 1 [S] ) for a start to a dilemma pile.

I'd also pull a page from IDIC and have a set of [NA] personnel with broad skill coverage and a [NA] ship that can serve as a foundation for a draw deck. I'd then top it off with a dusting of verbs to provide basic support.

So 5 missions, 5 dilemmas, 1 ship, 6-7 personnel, and 2-3 support cards = an OTSD-size fixed card base that can be supplemented with whatever packs are needed (though I'd go with Premiere, CtA, SNW, and TBG from both a cost/ availability and playability perspective)

I dunno... there's probably some dials that need turned one way or another to smooth it out, but that's a rough sketch.

:twocents:

So with the new version of The Final Frontier , i[…]

FIRST pair? You got more cooking? I am hoping t[…]

Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!