Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
It does, however it happens later in the turn with Caretaker's/Finding Our Way. Those end up downloading the ship in the order phase, so you end up not being able to play a ship (and therefor personnel) until your 2nd turn- unless you get lucky and have it in your opening hand, or a Christening if using that event.

With the mission, you can download the ship at the start of your turn, so it can be played that first turn as well. It helps overcome that first 'wasted' turn that frequently happens in Voyager/Equinox decks.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Sikkukut wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:29 pm Absolute noob here, trying to understand something...

I saw several Caretaker articles talking about Plasma Storm Depths, Search for Missing Vessel as an important new tool for [Voy] decks to make sure they have Voyager/Equinox on turn 1, but... doesn't Caretaker's Array + Finding Our Way already do that?
Hi and welcome!

The benefit of Plasma Storm Depths is that it allows you to download a [Voy] ship during the Play and Draw phase, as long as you discard the cards. You can then play Voyager (or Equinox) on your first turn.

Finding Our Way's download of a ship is an Order, which happens after the Play and Draw Phase, so while you will be guaranteed to have Voyager in hand on turn 1, you won't be able to play it until turn 2. This is why Voyager has the text on it allowing you to place two personnel aboard when you play it, to make up for the fact that you usually can't play any personnel on turn 1.

Marquetry beat me to it, no surprise. :-D

By Sikkukut
 -  
That makes sense, thank you both! I somehow missed that executing orders was a separate phase of the turn from play/draw. Too much Magic I guess. :P

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Marquetry wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:47 pm It does, however it happens later in the turn with Caretaker's/Finding Our Way. Those end up downloading the ship in the order phase, so you end up not being able to play a ship (and therefor personnel) until your 2nd turn- unless you get lucky and have it in your opening hand, or a Christening if using that event.

With the mission, you can download the ship at the start of your turn, so it can be played that first turn as well. It helps overcome that first 'wasted' turn that frequently happens in Voyager/Equinox decks.
And because you still have to spend your counters that first turn, you may end up drawing a lot of personnel that you can’t play that first turn and end up having to discard a ton once you get to the end of the turn.

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The frustration of ‘draw seven, download a ship using Order, discard eight’ being a turn one is a big reason why this option now exists.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Personally, I don't think I'll use this mission for Voyager. If I'm doing Voyager 5-Space, I already have two missions taken up by Caretaker's Array and Alsuran Sector. Stocking Plasma Storm Depths forces me into actually trying to complete Alsuran Sector, which I've generally avoided when playing the deck in the past. I would rather stock extra copies of Voyager and Christening and take a risk that I might have to wait until turn 2 to play the ship, rather than take the sure-fire push into a mission that I don't really want to attempt.

If I'm playing Equinox, or perhaps Voyager with planet missions, then I might run Plasma Storm Depths. Without Alsuran Sector, I still have three missions to plan out my route to victory. Currently I use Alpha 5 Approach as my fifth mission there, so the mission still comes at a price.

By Sikkukut
 -  
Fritzinger wrote:@Sikkukut I just realised why I recognised your handle. Kkkt. Great sfik.
Kkkkt! You are literally the first person to mention it in my 20 years or better of using it as a handle in a variety of places. Guess I shouldn't be surprised a Trek forum is where someone finally got it.

But I have a confession to make: I reread the Chanur books last year and discovered, to my horror, that all those years ago, when I signed up for like a dozen forums using this name... I misspelled it. :x Should be Sikkukkut, with four Ks.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Sikkukut wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:10 pm
Kkkkt! You are literally the first person to mention it in my 20 years or better of using it as a handle in a variety of places. Guess I shouldn't be surprised a Trek forum is where someone finally got it.

But I have a confession to make: I reread the Chanur books last year and discovered, to my horror, that all those years ago, when I signed up for like a dozen forums using this name... I misspelled it. :x Should be Sikkukkut, with four Ks.
ah, you win some you lose some.

I've actually never met anyone who's even heard of cj cherryh apart from my parents who introduced me to chanur. Not even my online board game nerds. Such a tragedy.
Temporal Benefactor questions

3) only the regular skills are shared

First: Michael Burnham Last: Saru

So with the new version of The Final Frontier , i[…]

FIRST pair? You got more cooking? I am hoping t[…]