Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

Last week: First Things First

This week I want to talk about inconsistent cards.

Take Gateway, Historical Research for example. You'll be able to reap the full benefits of this card about half the time. It is a huge benefit if you can get it but you can not really count on it. Still, it is a popular card and has been since it came out.

Or Christening. You get it early enough you have a clear benefit. As the game progresses, the usefulness goes way down. It is really hard to argue for the use late in the game. At some point, it becomes discard fodder. It is gangbusters if you get it in your opening hand, though.

These are just two examples of cards that will have wildly different effects on the game when you play. From a player perspective, it is hard to consider them because you do not know how they will turn out. From a design perspective, they are rough because who knows how they will turn out in a game. They are fraught with danger and can easily be dismissed.

But we love them.

Tell me what are your favorite inconsistent cards? To keep things on track, no dilemmas, at this point at least. Also, no cards with multiple uses like Optimism; just cards with a singular purpose.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I can tell you I always hate getting Kortar, Slayer of the Gods in my opening hand, or any time I have William T. Riker, Exchange Officer in my discard pile.

He is one of my favorite cards from the last couple of years. He's nicely flavorful (Klingons have some minor synergy with the discard pile), useful, but not overpowered. It's nice to get good late-game cards that have lesser use early on.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Faithful Reader wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:59 pmTell me what are your favorite inconsistent cards?

Ambassador Gral for me; always has a place in a [DQ] Integrity deck, and is 8/8/6 around half the time.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation