Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

How often is staffing an issue when deckbuilding?

Always
No votes
0%
Almost Always
17%
Frequently
No votes
0%
Roughly half the time
No votes
0%
Not quite half but not quite rare
33%
Rare
50%
Never!
No votes
0%
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

This week, we fly ships!

Of course, in order to fly the darn thing, you need staffing. Well, and a matching affiliation icon, but also staffing icons. This might not be a problem too often, but when it is a problem, well, it is a problem.

Starfleet has a dearth of command icons, though they have very limited use of them on their ships. A virtual Ferengi starter had problems for years due to not having enough staffing for a ship. If you have some sort of funky requirement for your deck, you might run into issues too, like a Prylar/Vedek/Kai deck.

What has been your worst problem with staffing? How did you solve it? Did you have to go outside the box to do so? Let us know.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
I usually only have a problem with staffing if I’m either specifically using a hard-to-staff ship or I’m specifically using a lot of personnel who do not have staffing icons. The only deck where staffing consistently becomes an issue for me is Relativity, but even then only in the sense that I really have to get to 6 personnel to start moving.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I tend to like to play multi-affiliation types probably more than most and it's probably more of an issue there where you have to get the right staffing/ship/affiliation ratios.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Staffing the Defiant is always problematic. I always worry about those three [Cmd] icons, even though they’re easier to come by on [DS9] personnel these days.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
eberlems wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:55 pm Decks with Grid 296, Holographic Training Facility just have an Olarra, Chariot of Light or Olarra to staff, the rest is almost impossible with just these.

The other extreme is [Bor] where only Eight of Eleven, Laura can't staff.
I usually use the baxial for a back up ship in a holodeck.

But I am not an experienced 2E deck pilot.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
winterflames wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:40 pm
eberlems wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:55 pm Decks with Grid 296, Holographic Training Facility just have an Olarra, Chariot of Light or Olarra to staff, the rest is almost impossible with just these.

The other extreme is [Bor] where only Eight of Eleven, Laura can't staff.
I usually use the baxial for a back up ship in a holodeck.

That's my standard go-to as well.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
jadziadax8 wrote:Staffing the Defiant is always problematic. I always worry about those three [Cmd] icons, even though they’re easier to come by on [DS9] personnel these days.
The Defiant is one of those "hard-to-staff" ships I mentioned. I also count the future Enterprise-D, the Negh'var and a handful of others in that category. If I'm using one of these ships, it's because they're important to the overall strategy of the deck and I'm willing to prioritize [Cmd] personnel (or Chancellors, Founders and Generals for the Negh'var).
winterflames wrote:I usually use the baxial for a back up ship in a holodeck.

Since the Olarra allows you to put Holograms on it when you play them, I don't usually worry about having a back-up ship for them. I just make sure not to have too high a percentage of non- [NA] Holograms.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
GooeyChewie wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:48 pm
jadziadax8 wrote:Staffing the Defiant is always problematic. I always worry about those three [Cmd] icons, even though they’re easier to come by on [DS9] personnel these days.
The Defiant is one of those "hard-to-staff" ships I mentioned. I also count the future Enterprise-D, the Negh'var and a handful of others in that category. If I'm using one of these ships, it's because they're important to the overall strategy of the deck and I'm willing to prioritize [Cmd] personnel (or Chancellors, Founders and Generals for the Negh'var).
winterflames wrote:I usually use the baxial for a back up ship in a holodeck.

Since the Olarra allows you to put Holograms on it when you play them, I don't usually worry about having a back-up ship for them. I just make sure not to have too high a percentage of non- [NA] Holograms.
I only have to hit greater needs once to decide my "integral to the game" ship will no longer be my attempting ship...
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation