Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

Which card is the best of the best from Classification: Civilian?

Morphogenic Virus
35%
Raimus, Syndicate Collaborator
12%
Manuele Atoa, Something Fun to Look At
29%
Christopher Pike, Prospective Orion Trader
24%
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

Last week: Classification Civilian Page Wars One, Two and Three
2-9-22 Yakety yak
2-2-22Civilian vs. V.I.P.
1-26-22 When is a card not Picard
1-19-22 Staffing Concerns
1-12-22 Consistently Inconsistent
1-5-22 First Things First

Last week we looked at the three pages of Classification: Civilian and looked at the best of each page. Due to a tie there are four winners so let's see which reigns supreme!

Pike has the biggest vote total of all four but we'll see how things turn out for the two card that split the victory on the second page.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
For Atoa, maybe it's language barrier, and I guess his subtitle describes the activity he's doing is something fun to look at and not himself, but I still feel the subtitle sounds derogatory and objectifying.
That said, the artwork is awesome with extending into the borders. The effect is a little bit weak in my opinion. Would prefer to have him start at 5-4-6, or increase his limit to +4, or add a skill or so.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Atoa's subtitle is exactly as sexual as it sounds.

Dax: ...how'd you like another two days off?
Atoa: Two? What do I have to do?
Dax: Not much... (she looks him over) Just give me something fun to look at for the rest of the evening.
Atoa: (only half-joking) Anything else?
Dax: (with a twinkle) I'll let you know.

They and the party soon get broken up by Sirella. I think there's always been a bit of sexual fluidity and permissiveness in Star Trek. Riker and Troi are always the example, sometimes acting as if they are pursuing a relationship with each other and other times cheerleading the other as they explore one with someone else. This is the closest we come to seeing how Dax is not constrained by being in a relationship. Certainly others are, like Miles (and probably Worf). Klingons seem to mate for life, evidenced by Worf trying to marry K'Ehleyr on the spot (was he a virgin until then?); I don't see Klingons being much for side dalliances. On the other hand, Worf seemed to soften by the time Jadzia came around, admitting that casual relationships aren't out of bounds for him anymore. Still, Worf has shown annoyance at other men in Jadzia's life, usually saying that he trusts her, but not them, implying that he expects her to stay faithful. He might mean in an emotional way, though I doubt it. I'd guess Worf expects monogamy (and based on Julian and Quark's reactions to her dating, marrying, and getting ready to conceive with Worf, they expect that too). Does she not?

So, after all that, the scene always felt a little shady to me. And not because Atoa is relegated to be eye candy, but because Jadzia is tantalizing someone with sex right before marriage. I mean, jeez. Just wait until one of you dies! You, unlike other species, will be single eventually, girl.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Hey, you all got a whole waterplums expansion.

And now we're complaining about objectification? :P

I have very mixed feelings about this whole conversation. (Yes, I understand attitudes change a lot in 12.5 years.)

In the meantime...

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
It's also the 24th century. Some mores should feel odd to us. ;)

There's lots of interpersonal things in Star Trek that might be problematic if they took place today, with normal people, from the mundane of River and Troi working on personnel reviews in 10-foward, to Picard having a relationship with his crew (and it explicitly not being against regs), to the mini-skirts of TOS.

In-universe, I look at it as humanity has evolved in many ways, where greed and possessiveness is no longer a driving force in our lives. SO there's nothing wrong with a captain having a relationship, because, on the whole, humans can be trusted to no let that get in the way of doing the right things, or if they think it will, self-recuse themselves. This clearly wouldn't work in today's universe.

Similarly, out of universe, Grace Lee Whitney always claims she was the one who requested the mini-skirts instead of the trousers of the cage, because being able to be sexy and still a trusted member of the crew was empowering for the time.

In other words, I have no issues with Atoa being objectified, because I would say it's something the character in universe clearly consented to, as well as the actor consented by applying for and getting the role.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:04 pm Hey, you all got a whole waterplums expansion.

I thought 'waterplum' was a euphemism I'd not heard of until I Googled it.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
There must have been an extended image at some point that included the basket of fruit she was carrying, because I remember a decipher employee writing, "the waterplums are clearly visible in the lower left of the picture", and thinking, "wow, plausible deniability".

Edit: oh no wait, there they are!
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Danny wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:45 am
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:04 pm Hey, you all got a whole waterplums expansion.

I thought 'waterplum' was a euphemism I'd not heard of until I Googled it.
Lol!

That's why I linked to the 1E card in the first place.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  

And now we're complaining about objectification? :P
Hey! Several of those women are fully clothed!

I'm fascinated by the sexual dynamics of the future. I suppose a test for us could be: would the scene play out the same way if the genders had been flipped? I'd not only say yes, but that we have many times. So, sure. If one's cool, then so is the other.

Ooh! Are you making a pitch for an all-male set? 'Cause I'll do it! (Far Beyond the Stars actually comes close, but one of the rules for This Side of Paradise was that ships were female.)

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
The Guardian wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:53 pm Ooh! Are you making a pitch for an all-male set? 'Cause I'll do it! (Far Beyond the Stars actually comes close, but one of the rules for This Side of Paradise was that ships were female.)
This Side of Paradise had an all-male design team. I think it's only fair we bring in an all-female design team for That Side of Paradise.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
GooeyChewie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:08 pm
The Guardian wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:53 pm Ooh! Are you making a pitch for an all-male set? 'Cause I'll do it! (Far Beyond the Stars actually comes close, but one of the rules for This Side of Paradise was that ships were female.)
This Side of Paradise had an all-male design team. I think it's only fair we bring in an all-female design team for That Side of Paradise.
LOL! I think that means me and @Marquetry, then.

It can't just be all-male. It must be all beefcake.
  • More Tsunkatze
  • Lots of Trip in decontamination
  • Beefy ships like the Negh'Var

*Imaginary bonus points if you get the reference

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Marquetry wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:41 pm
GooeyChewie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:27 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:18 pm LOL! I think that means me and @Marquetry, then.
That's exactly who I had in mind! :D
Mwahaha... ;) *happy evil laugh*
Do you and @jadziadax8 think you can keep it to 45 cards?

Can't be OVER-representin' after all... :wink:
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation