Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

I have a general question about playing interrupts in 2e. As long as I am playing this game people were “double dipping” on interrupts. Meaning when the first one was canceled, you can play another copy right after to get the same effect. Is that actually legal? I know stccg doesn’t have something like ‘the stack’ in Magic, but maybe it works in a similar fashion...?

Here are some examples (assuming all prerequisites/costs can be fulfilled):

I am about to play an event to my core. My opponent plays Moment of Triumph to cancel the play. I cancel the Moment of Triumph with an Amanda Rogers. Can my opponent then play another Moment of Triumph to cancel the original event? I would think not, he would have to answer with an interrupt that cancels my Amanda rather than another copy of MoT…

I am about to move my ship. My opponent plays Crippling Strike. I discard five cards to prevent Crippling Strike. My opponent then plays another copy of Crippling Strike. Is this correct? Imho the window for playing CS has passed as I was able to move after I nullified the first CS…

I begin a mission attempt. My opponent plays Imperial Entanglements. I cancel the IE with my Mila. Can opponent play a second copy of Imperial Entanglements? If yes why? Imho, I successfully began the mission attempt…

Generally speaking can you play interrupts multiple times that counter a specific action rather than forming a ‘stack’ of countered interrupts?

Thanks
:cheersL:

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
TyKajada wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:31 pmGenerally speaking can you play interrupts multiple times that counter a specific action rather than forming a ‘stack’ of countered interrupts?

I've always assumed that you could, and I think it's covered by the "Response Action" segment in the rulebook:

"The game text of a response action always begins with the word ‘When’ and has a trigger describing the situation that allows you to use that game text. Any time the trigger is met, you may use the text one time.

All interrupt response actions are optional.

[...]The same process then occurs for all optional response actions, again beginning with the player whose turn it is. However, a player with optional response actions may choose to not take any of them and pass instead. The opportunity to take response actions ends when all players pass consecutively

A player may use different copies of the same card to perform the same response action more than once. If a player commands multiple copies of a card with a mandatory response action, he or she must perform that action once for each copy he or she commands.
"

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Danny wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:22 pm ....
A player may use different copies of the same card to perform the same response action more than once.

I guess this takes care of it.. Not sure I like it, but it is what it is.. :P
Thanks

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
TyKajada wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:14 pm
Danny wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:22 pm ....
A player may use different copies of the same card to perform the same response action more than once.

I guess this takes care of it.. Not sure I like it, but it is what it is.. :P
Thanks
It's been that way basically forever, and I'm not aware of there ever being a limit to the number of valid responses allowed in a given response window.

I know Magic has the stack... does that work differently than this? It's been a LOOONG time since I've played M:TG (like, 25 years), but I seem to remember being able to respond to things without issue.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
T-Ricks wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:34 pm There are a few cards out there to control the abuse of Interrupts and Events. This mission is one example: B'omar Sovereignty, Traverse Restricted Space
Yeah but that still fails, because if I play an interrupt and you counter it, I didn't actually play mine so I can play another one. Meanwhile, even if you have a second counter (with the same card title) in your hand, you *can't* counter my second copy since you already played an interrupt that turn.

I've ranted about this elsewhere, so i won't repeat here, I'll just say that that card, like a lot of cards in that set, were *so close* to being really good, and just came up short.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:23 pm I know Magic has the stack... does that work differently than this? It's been a LOOONG time since I've played M:TG (like, 25 years), but I seem to remember being able to respond to things without issue.

The stack in Magic is basically identical to a chain of Amandas in 2e, so that is similar.
However, in Magic if you cast a creature spell and an opponent counters the spell with Bone to Ash, if that Instant gets countered with e.g. Cancel, the opponent cannot cast another Bone to Ash, the creature goes thru...
So in these cases 2e is significantly different than Magic.

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
With stacks the entire chain of card plays only gets resolved at the end when everyone is done reacting (working backwards from the last card to be played) and you can’t backtrack on it partway to slide in new stuff to the original timing.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
TyKajada wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:18 pm However, in Magic if you cast a creature spell and an opponent counters the spell with Bone to Ash, if that Instant gets countered with e.g. Cancel, the opponent cannot cast another Bone to Ash, the creature goes thru...
So in these cases 2e is significantly different than Magic.
Yes, you can? If you counter my Bone to Ash, as long as I have the cards and mana, I can keep countering the original spell.

In magic, the stack works like this:

As each player plays a card, each player gets priority to respond to that card. If all players pass, that card resolves.
If any player responds, all players get another response window.

Alice plays Kivas Fajo - Collector
Nathan plays Kevin Uxbridge to counter it
Alice plays Q2 targeting Kevin Uxbridge to counter *that*.
Nathan could respond to either playing Amanda Rogers to counter Q2, or another Kevin Uxbridge targeting Kivas. Lets say he plays Amanda.
Alice sighs and plays another Q2 targeting Amanda Rogers.

The stack now looks like this:

- Kivas Fajo
- Kevin (targeting Kivas)
- q2 (targeting Kevin)
- Amanda (Targeting q2)
- Q2 (Targeting Amanda)

when both players pass, the stack begins to resolve from a last in, first out order. Q2 resolves, countering Amanda. The stack is now:

- Kivas
- Kevin
- Q2

Both players get a chance to play interrupts or activate abilities again here. Both pass. Q2 resolves, countering Kevin.

the stack is now just Kivas Fajo.
Both players could still respond to Kivas. If neither does, it resolves and Alice draws 3 cards.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Oh good. A Magic rules nerd fight! That's what I wanted to read on the Trek forums today! :roll:

Y'all too much! :lol:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
boromirofborg wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:14 am
a nice example.
Yep I forgot the original spell remains on the stack and presents another window of opportunity..
nice

So basically we can forget my whole thread and consider it canceled. I pass priority.
:P :wink:
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation