Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Hey folks,

Just thought I'd try and liven up the boards with a little harmless, non-confrontational game chat.

Assuming you're not playing Khan (all planets) or Five-Space Voyager (all space), where do you typically try and go for your first mission attempt of the game? Planet or space?

Why do you do that?

Why don't you do the other one?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I almost always go space-first these days, because Necessary Execution, Distress Call and The Needs of the Few are all a thing. (I'm less concerned about Neural Parasites, since I don't think I've seen that dilemma played outside of some weird sealed formats.) I will go planet-first in events where I know Necessary Execution won't be in play, like IDIC Draft or the Beginner Sealed event @OKCoyote just hosted.

I also like to pack Distress Call in my decks because it's fallen out of favor in the meta and folks will go space-first with 9 personnel. I love to catch them off guard on the rare occasion I draw it on that opening mission.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Space for all the reasons Maggie mentioned.

As an aside, this thread is probably the best place for something I'd been wondering a little bit about.

Is there a reason a planet version of Necessary Execution hasn't ever been made in order to make first mission selection a little more unpredictable?

Is it because you could then theoretically pack 3x of each dilemma and have a pretty good shot at a guaranteed 2-person kill on that first mission, and that would be considered even more unbalancing than forcing everyone to go space first all the time?
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
abargar7510 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:35 pm Space for all the reasons Maggie mentioned.

As an aside, this thread is probably the best place for something I'd been wondering a little bit about.

Is there a reason a planet version of Necessary Execution hasn't ever been made in order to make first mission selection a little more unpredictable?

Is it because you could then theoretically pack 3x of each dilemma and have a pretty good shot at a guaranteed 2-person kill on that first mission, and that would be considered even more unbalancing than forcing everyone to go space first all the time?
Did you mean a space version of Necessary Execution? Because that would mix up the first mission attempt, I agree.

Going planet first was always the thing and a good reason for it was the span of the missions involved - Most ships have 8 range so going from a planet (which typically had 2 span) meant that they could fly to the planet, attempt and, barring a solve, could eventually fly back to get reinforcements and reattempt the next turn. That way, by the time they solved one or two planets, they could use a second ship to do the same kind of reinforcement backup for space attempts. Not everyone had access to 2-span space missions (or were playing DS9 or Terok Nor and their 1-span HQ), space missions in the same region as their HQ or ships with 10 Range.

Michael,
Random thoughts while on hold

By Cmdr Xym (Joseph Bazemore)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:37 amI also like to pack Distress Call in my decks because it's fallen out of favor in the meta and folks will go space-first with 9 personnel. I love to catch them off guard on the rare occasion I draw it on that opening mission.
I still use Distress Call regularly.

Also, space first.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
The Ninja Scot wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:50 pm
abargar7510 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:35 pm

Did you mean a space version of Necessary Execution? Because that would mix up the first mission attempt, I agree.

Michael,
Yeah, I meant a space version that targeted completed planet missions, sorry that definitely wasn't clear.
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
abargar7510 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:28 pm
abargar7510 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:35 pm

Michael,
Yeah, I meant a space version that targeted completed planet missions, sorry that definitely wasn't clear.
There is, albeit not as strong -

2 [S] The Needs of the Few
Your opponent chooses an Engineer or Security personnel to be stopped. If you command a completed planet mission, that personnel is killed.

Michael

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
The Ninja Scot wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:23 pm
abargar7510 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:28 pm

Michael,
There is, albeit not as strong -

2 [S] The Needs of the Few
Your opponent chooses an Engineer or Security personnel to be stopped. If you command a completed planet mission, that personnel is killed.

Michael
In the way it's worded, yeah, but the effect is the same in that its a disincentive to go to a planet first.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Which ever mission I have the skills for first. Then the same second. Then the same 3rd.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
T-Ricks wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:22 pm
winterflames wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:48 pm Which ever mission I have the skills for first. Then the same second. Then the same 3rd.
Me too. Whatever skills I get first, that's where I go.
Space first!
I would bluff and attempt the space even without the skills, before I do a planet first.
There are many players, that do not care what I play, so, why not bluff?
When I know, that the opponent knows, that I do not have the skills for the space mission and he has already begun mission attempts and I have at least 2 Escapes or something available, I probably would attempt a planet first. But that are rare exceptions and more an act of desperation.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Enabran wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:20 am Space first!
I would bluff and attempt the space even without the skills, before I do a planet first.
There are many players, that do not care what I play, so, why not bluff?
When I know, that the opponent knows, that I do not have the skills for the space mission and he has already begun mission attempts and I have at least 2 Escapes or something available, I probably would attempt a planet first. But that are rare exceptions and more an act of desperation.
Same here. I've actually attempted space missions without knowing myself whether or not I have the skills, since I tend to pay more attention to my opponent's personnel than my own.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation