Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
User avatar
 
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
#579987
t's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

Last week: There But for the Grace of Main
6-15-22 Starcorder
6-8-22 Forever a Thief
6-1-22 Handful versus individual
5-25-22Masters May 2022 Mini Stockwatch
5-18-22 Mad-Lib a Number
5-11-22 Fifty underdogs
5-4-22 Fighting NeuNeuDominion
4-27-22 Mad-Lib a Card
4-20-22 The Middle of a Man
4-13-22 Committee Follow Up
4-6-22 Sub-Optimal
3-30-22 Consistently Inconsistent
3-23-22Twenty-Twenty First
3-16-22 Clash of Classification: Civilian Final
3-9-22 Clash of Classification: Civilian One Two and Three
3-2-22 Hall Of Fame 2022 With a Twist ... of Fate!
2-23-22 Classification: Civilian Page Wars Final
2-16-22Classification Civilian Page Wars One, Two and Three
2-9-22 Yakety yak
2-2-22Civilian vs. V.I.P.
1-26-22 When is a card not Picard
1-19-22 Staffing Concerns
1-12-22 Consistently Inconsistent
1-5-22 First Things First


This week, we have a simple question. Don't worry, I'll make up for it down the road, but for now tell us, what is your favorite mission and why?

Wait, that's a little too simple, you cannot choose a headquarters mission. Other than that, go wild. Do you like the requirements? Does solving trigger something nifty? Is it the only planet mission with a high span requiring a specific kill?

Let us know!
User avatar
 
By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
#579995
This is not easy to answer. It depends on the affiliation.
In my Dominion Decks it is Rescue Prisoners of War - Space with Span of 2 and solveable with 4 Personnel.
In almost every other Deck it is Deliver Evidence - Space with Span of 2 and Anthropology for my Artifacts.
And Gateway, Historical Research for a possible quickstart.
And then the obligate Alpha 5 Approach, Transport Crash Survivor.
User avatar
 
By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Goateed
Community Contributor
1E American National Second Runner-Up 2020
#579996
Enabran wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:39 pm This is not easy to answer. It depends on the affiliation.
In my Dominion Decks it is Rescue Prisoners of War - Space with Span of 2 and solveable with 4 Personnel.
In almost every other Deck it is Deliver Evidence - Space with Span of 2 and Anthropology for my Artifacts.
And Gateway, Historical Research for a possible quickstart.
And then the obligate Alpha 5 Approach, Transport Crash Survivor.
Yeah all of those (except maybe A5A) are examples of terrible design.

When everybody is playing 10% of the missions, it leaves the other 90% out in the cold.
User avatar
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2021
Grand Nagus
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2022
#580008
I think my favorite mission is Sector 39-J, Investigate Annihilation. I always like missions with a Science-y skill set and I think the span reduction if your opponent has a completed mission is really cool. I ALWAYS draft that in an IDIC Draft tournament.

Oh, and the picture is gorgeous!

On that note, I have a thing for Nebula missions as well.
User avatar
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2021
#580009
Kaleb Sector, Covert Rendezvous

It's not the most powerful thing out there. I just like it. Cloaking should be a bigger thing than it is and this is fun. Right now, having the I.K.S. Pagh be able to do double duty attempting and slowing down the opponent or using the Scimitar, Built for Only One Purpose to kill someone every time your opponent stops you are some of the best uses.
User avatar
 
By Boratus (Steve Nelson)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Rebel
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2022
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2022
#580011
Gateway Historical Research

Getting a specific personnel to your starting hand is always very helpful. It depends if your opponent goes 1st though, but still good if having a certain peep is key to your game.
User avatar
 
By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Chancellor
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2022
#580077
Armus wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:02 pm
Enabran wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:39 pm This is not easy to answer. It depends on the affiliation.
In my Dominion Decks it is Rescue Prisoners of War - Space with Span of 2 and solveable with 4 Personnel.
In almost every other Deck it is Deliver Evidence - Space with Span of 2 and Anthropology for my Artifacts.
And Gateway, Historical Research for a possible quickstart.
And then the obligate Alpha 5 Approach, Transport Crash Survivor.
Yeah all of those (except maybe A5A) are examples of terrible design.

When everybody is playing 10% of the missions, it leaves the other 90% out in the cold.
+1
User avatar
 
By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Chancellor
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2022
#580079
An example of good design and my favorite mission in recent years is Cardassia Prime, Secure Homeworld.
Accessible to (almost) every affiliation, yet relying on affiliation icons, which I think is a big plus over the "every affiliation..."-missions.
What I love about this mission is that it's all about choice. First off your choice. Do you want to play interrupts during mission attempts? Then you probably want to skip over this one. But if you don't, it puts the choice on your opponent. How much does he/she want to play interrupts? Does it warrant them going easy on me and possibly giving the mission away to keep that advantage?
Choice is what makes the game fun!

Updates! First Edition European Continentals occu[…]

. Brian wins modified 65-20 (MW) GG! :thumbsup:

Ways to play online

My brother and I are looking for ways to play to[…]

Coach Jaeger world's prep event

Hey I can make that weekend work! Who wants to[…]