Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
[NA] 4 •U.S.S. Enterprise, Superior Starship
[Cmd] [Stf] [Stf]
[Pa] Constitution Class
To command this ship, you must command To Rule in Hell. This card cannot be removed from your discard pile by cards an opponent owns. When this ship is about to move from your completed planet mission, subtract 2 from the Range required.
"My vessel was useless. I need you and yours to select a colony planet, one with a population willing to be led by us."
Range 8 Weapons 6 Shields 6
58 V 41

Pro:
  • Great image!
  • Gets a Range discount when moving from your completed planet mission.
  • The card can't be removed from the discard pile by an opponent, so you're safe to ditch it there whenever, and Joaquin it later.
Con:
  • The Range discount is nice, but one wonders how often it'll be used to make it necessary - a Joaquinned Delta Flyer can fly between three Span 2 planet missions - how often will you need to fly between more than that?
  • The non-removal is nice, but given one's hand is often the safest place for a ship, and Joaquin's ability is an order, getting a ship into a discard pile and retrieving it post-mission isn't usually an issue.
Overall:
  • With so many ships that allow a novel subset of personnel to be played upon them (e.g., Assimilator, Ivory Tower, any [TOS] ship (for the Staffers and Stolid Ensign)), one wonders if the draw of a Range discount is enough to draw players away from more interesting personnel choices.
  • To quote another player "Nothing wrong with it, but nothing right with it either. Why use this ship when there are better ships to use?". A 5/10.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Danny wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:21 am Con:
  • The Range discount is nice, but one wonders how often it'll be used to make it necessary - a Joaquinned Delta Flyer can fly between three Span 2 planet missions - how often will you need to fly between more than that?
You mean with Astrometrics Lab or something? Enterprise can do that without a boost.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
The Guardian wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:13 am
Danny wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:21 am Con:
You mean with Astrometrics Lab or something? Enterprise can do that without a boost.

What I mean is: The Flyer/Ivory Tower/Assimilator can go Mission A to Mission B to Mission C (assuming they're all Span 2). It's true that the Enterprise can go to Mission D (then E, assuming they're all completed and you've not won), but the question is "how often are you going to need to do that?"

And if it is that often, why not keep the ships that allow extra personnel to be played and stock Astrometrics Lab/QSL too? Extra range and extra folks? Nice.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Danny wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:42 pm …but the question is "how often are you going to need to do that?"
Gotcha. I misread. I was assuming you meant traveling to three missions. Moving three times. I do like the option to go back to CA5, return to re-attempt the mission failed from last turn, and continue going to get another attempt in. Can only happen twice a game, but it gains you an extra attempt when it does. Especially against a kill/capture pile where reinforcements are useful. The 10-Range ships can’t do that, as you agreed, without help, and as Scotty says, “The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.” I personally prefer less cogs in the machine.

But as you say, that’s a personal (and possibly personnel) decision. Certainly getting new personnel directly aboard can sidestep the need to return to CA5.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]